Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What are the SOLUTIONS to jobs taken by technology and overseas slave labor cheap products?

+3
Markle
Jake92
dumpcare
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

NOT looking for opinions of why, etc etc

Only solutions.. Thought provoking discussion only please.

Thanks

dumpcare

Getting rid of the union's may help, but could you trust American manufacturer's to pay a decent wage tied to production?

Truly fair and reciprocal trade agreements would be a good start. Kill the corp tax. Open investment to the middle class.

But none of it is possible... because the govt will not reduce itself into an arbiter... a night watchman. It will only grow.

Jake92

I agree that SOME unions forced the factories out of the country, but it's also the polution and other laws that make it cheaper to make things in China and other countries, but how can Toyota, Honda, Hyundae, VW, Nissan, Kia, and many other manufacturing companies build things in the states while paying competive wages still make money, but Ford and GM move to Mexico and Canada for cheaper costs while raising the cost of the cars to the consumers??

The standard of living is much lower in these other countries and cost are cheaper including labor.

Do we shoot ourselves in the foot by driving taxes up so high for the companies that we loose jobs. I mean jobs create tax payers.

im not sure we can force the corporations to pay more without us also loosing out. Not as long as there are other low cost avenues for them to produce while we still consume that is.

Markle

Markle

Jake92 wrote:I agree that SOME unions forced the factories out of the country, but it's also the polution and other laws that make it cheaper to make things in China and other countries, but how can Toyota, Honda, Hyundae, VW, Nissan, Kia, and many other manufacturing companies build things in the states while paying competive wages still make money, but Ford and GM move to Mexico and Canada for cheaper costs while raising the cost of the cars to the consumers??
The unions won't allow them to move our of Detroit to non-union states. They can't do anything about moving the manufacturing our of the country. No one said labor unions were run by anyone with an IQ above 100.

Jake92

I used the auto manufacturers as an example, but there are many other types of manufacturers such as electronic, clothing, toys, and most other things that are built in China and other countries.. Try finding a light bulb not built in a foreign country.. SOME of the GE bulbs are, but they are hard to find..

Unions will die on the vine if membership isn't mandatory and there is competition... including between the states.

Edit: They also need to be kicked out of the white house. It's incredible how often sterns and trumpka have been there.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Since the non-union cars can be assembled in the south and compete with cheaper foreign labor, I've never understood why that cannot be applied to other industry.
And it's not explained only by transporation costs because it even competes with cheap labor in Mexico and transportation costs wouldn't be an issue with Mexican made cars.

Jake92

WHO said the people working in the Kia plant in Montgomery or any other foreign car plant is made up of foreign labor??? The biggest thing is they are paying income taxes, along with social security, medicare, retirement and other things that the ones made in Mexico and Canada are not paying.... The biggest thing they don't pay is union dues!!!

so guys yall think the biggest thing is to get rid of all unions?

what do you think about this walmart "American Made"initiative. I was surprised. Do you buy this?

Walmart is collaborating with stakeholders to accelerate our mission of leading an American renewal in manufacturing. As part of these efforts, we convened a U.S. Manufacturing Summit in August to bring suppliers, government officials, thought leaders and other retailers together to share learnings, make connections and increase progress.

Our Commitment

In January, Walmart committed to buying an additional $50 billion in U.S. products over the next 10 years.

http://corporate.walmart.com/global-responsibility/us-manufacturing

Jake92

Chrissy, it's hard to find a lot of things made in the USA in any store..

Markle

Markle

ppaca wrote:Getting rid of the union's may help, but could you trust American manufacturer's to pay a decent wage tied to production?
The vast majority of American manufacturer's do not have unions and yet they pay decent wages.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Jake92 wrote:WHO said the people working in the Kia plant in Montgomery or any other foreign car plant is made up of foreign labor???
Since I said the opposite of that in the post you're replying to I have no idea who would be stupid enough to say anything like that. lol

How in the world did you get that from my post?

Jake92 wrote:Chrissy, it's hard to find a lot of things made in the USA in any store..  
we need to change that somehow.

unfortunately our economy has gotten so bad a little guy venture would be an almost impossible risk.

We are setting bye letting this happen. we need to sign petitions, write letters, stand on the road. we need to make it good to make things I America again. And the American brand should stand for something, such as "Strong" reliable, durable goods.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
ppaca wrote:Getting rid of the union's may help, but could you trust American manufacturer's to pay a decent wage tied to production?
The vast majority of American manufacturer's do not have unions and yet they pay decent wages.
The explanation for this is simple . . . . manufacturers are fearful that unions will form within their ranks and to mitigate that possibility they pay wages and benefits commensurate with union made competition. It is the driving rationale and motivating force compelling the corp. to match the unions.

Jake92

Bob, I read compete and saw complete.. OOPS...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Jake92 wrote:Bob, I read compete and saw complete..  OOPS...
I want to put american workers back to work again.  Which is what these (transplant) auto assembly plants are already doing.
My only point was that it's a mystery to me why it ONLY seems to work with auto assembly plants.
Why not appliances and televisions and a hundred other things.

Jake92

Imagine the sewing machine operators working for minumum wage making the clothing we wear.. Will the stores sell the things made here for the same price they sell something from Indonesia for when it costs them more to buy them?? The bottom line is the businesses are ruled by very greedy stockholders who will cheat their mothers for a penny..

boards of FL

boards of FL

Pass a law that says all imported goods must be produced by some labor standard that mirrors our domestic standards (workplace safety, minimum wage, etc...).

Jake92

That will never be passed by the politicians that make the laws.. It MUST come from the ones buying things demanding them being made in the USA or not buying it.. Will YOU spend an extra $ or 2 for socks, underwear, or t-shirts made in the states??

Jake92

Try buying a Kenmore appliance made in the states.. Sears sells the Kenmore brand and they are made by some off the wall factory in Korea.. Many repair parts are NOT available at Sears or the factory.. If your $2,000 refrigerator stops working, you might as well go buy a new one.. I was lucky enough a repairman was able to fix the ice maker in mine without using new parts..

boards of FL

boards of FL

Jake92 wrote:That will never be passed by the politicians that make the laws..  It MUST come from the ones buying things demanding them being made in the USA or not buying it..  Will YOU spend an extra $ or 2 for socks, underwear, or t-shirts made in the states??
It could pass. Dick Gephardt once introduced the idea of a world minimum wage, which is very close to the solution I gave.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Jake92 wrote:Imagine the sewing machine operators working for minumum wage making the clothing we wear..  Will the stores sell the things made here for the same price they sell something from Indonesia for when it costs them more to buy them??  The bottom line is the businesses are ruled by very greedy stockholders who will cheat their mothers for a penny..
There may well be a solution to that too already.  And one nobody ever talks about in any media (democrat or republican) and that's another mystery to me.

I call it the "Publix Plan".  
Publix is (by far) the largest employee owned corporation in America.  And it answers to the needs and desires and the welfare of it's employees because THEY own the fucking thing.
Not to mention that the corporation economically succeeds or fails because of the employees too which is at it should be.
And Publix is a big success story.

Bob wrote:
Jake92 wrote:Imagine the sewing machine operators working for minumum wage making the clothing we wear..  Will the stores sell the things made here for the same price they sell something from Indonesia for when it costs them more to buy them??  The bottom line is the businesses are ruled by very greedy stockholders who will cheat their mothers for a penny..
There may well be a solution to that too already.  And one nobody ever talks about in any media (democrat or republican) and that's another mystery to me.

I call it the "Publix Plan".  
Publix is (by far) the largest employee owned corporation in America.  And it answers to the needs and desires and the welfare of it's employees because THEY own the fucking thing.
Not to mention that the corporation economically succeeds or fails because of the employees too which is at it should be.
And Publix is a big success story.
but are the products they sell American made to a %?

From what I understand America does grow most of the worlds food. What happens to that? Does it get sold off to other countries, then packaged cheaply then sold back to us? Ive heard it does.

^^ that is a trade problem. It should not be cheaper to grow a product here then sell it over seas to only have it shipped back to us for sale.

Ive also heard the complaint that many Americans lack "skill" ... culture problem?

after thinking about this long and hard. I personally think that if Americans want more jobs here, they need to start supporting products made here. There is the problem. We want cheap, we don't care and then the other problem, so many people don't want jobs and just don't give a shit.

Im not feeling very positive about this. we may be stuck in a consumer society.

what if we offered companies that started here, by Americans a HUGE tax break? say 10%? and then offer a additional tax incentive to purchase ONLY American materials?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum