Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have lived long enough to watch a skyscrapper being built.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

In January 2012 I got very bad news from Moffit in Tampa that my liver had three large tumors and my endocrine cancer had metastasis on the liver. I figured I would live 3 to 6 months, and decided to get my treatment at Northwestern where they were doing some remarkable things with endocrine cancer. Transferred property over to my wife and made funeral and business plans which would allow things to be easier for my wife. On a cold January morning I was sitting in the Northwestern Cafeteria on the second floor(an amazing place for the variety of food) and watched as a building was being torn down.

It was amazing to see what techniques were used to destroy this building while people and cars drove by like normal. That first six months I saw the building taken out and watched for months as they sunk supports deep into the bedrock. Each month returning at least once and often three or more times as I would always sit by the window and watch. The cranes they use to snake up the building are amazing. The concrete pours are amazing. The steel work is amazing, and each month I watched an army work in unison to build this amazing creation. Today, I saw the building nearing 40 floors and still going vertical as the finished skin has been applied but I still see into the first floor where welding operations continue to amaze me. Northwest Hospital and the near north side of Chicago is an amazing place. The place has been bustling for two years I have been observing.

I commented on the Prius cabs, and now two years later all I see are Prius cabs......it is amazing. This country is advancing and growing. We are getting stronger. I am thankful I have had the time to watch this amazing building pierce the sky. We are getting smarter and smarter in our approaches to engineering and as I waited for my shots I read a Smithsonian which featured the advances in bioengineering the human body. I have never seen such diversity of peoples on the North Shore of Chicago and at Northwestern Hospital. So many people who enrich our culture and make our lives so rich and full. I celebrate one more day of shots, and see that building grow, and know my grandchildren will be blessed to have lived in such a great nation.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

And I have live long enough to see two skyscrapers fall. 9/11.

2seaoat

And I have live long enough to see two skyscrapers fall. 9/11.

Nothing lasts forever......that is why you need to plan to buy more booze.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

2seaoat wrote:And I have live long enough to see two skyscrapers fall. 9/11.

Nothing lasts forever......that is why you need to plan to buy more booze.
The 2,977 people who died in the towers can't buy booze anymore.

2seaoat wrote:In January 2012 I got very bad news from Moffit in Tampa that my liver had three large tumors and my endocrine cancer had metastasis on the liver.  I figured I would live 3 to 6 months, and decided to get my treatment at Northwestern where they were doing some remarkable things with endocrine cancer.   Transferred property over to my wife and made funeral and business plans which would allow things to be easier for my wife.   On a cold January morning I was sitting in the Northwestern Cafeteria on the second floor(an amazing place for the variety of food) and watched as a building was being torn down.

It was amazing to see what techniques were used to destroy this building while people and cars drove by like normal.   That first six months I saw the building taken out and watched for months as they sunk supports deep into the bedrock.  Each month returning at least once and often three or more times as I would always sit by the window and watch.  The cranes they use to snake up the building are amazing. The concrete pours are amazing.  The steel work is amazing, and each month I watched an army work in unison to build this amazing creation.   Today, I saw the building nearing 40 floors and still going vertical as the finished skin has been applied but I still see into the first floor where welding operations continue to amaze me.   Northwest Hospital and the near north side of Chicago is an amazing place.   The place has been bustling for two years I have been observing.

I commented on the Prius cabs, and now two years later all I see are Prius cabs......it is amazing.  This country is advancing and growing.  We are getting stronger.   I am thankful I have had the time to watch this amazing building pierce the sky.   We are getting smarter and smarter in our approaches to engineering and as I waited for my shots I read a Smithsonian which featured the advances in bioengineering the human body.   I have never seen such diversity of peoples on the North Shore of Chicago and at Northwestern Hospital.  So many people who enrich our culture and make our lives so rich and full.  I celebrate one more day of shots, and see that building grow, and know my grandchildren will be blessed to have lived in such a great nation.
Great Post Mr Oats. When you are able to break free and see what is happening in other parts of America, some of it is, as you say Amazing.
Great things are happening all over but some folks just love to wallow in their own misery and observe every thing negative. Out side of Austin you never hear of their new Formula 1 track or the Millions that are being invested in capital improvements south of Chicago. There people who are energized and are will to take the chance on the American Dream.For Many, it is happening as we speak.

2seaoat

I took a new route home from the hospital and stopped and played poker in a town called Elgin. As you know I have played poker at the downtown Joliet location next to the shipping canal and those cool bridges with the counterweights. Well, I won 400 bucks and just listened to amazing conversations. People really are upbeat and have faith in this country. Not one person at the poker table supported this government shut down crap. They were people enjoying life. Many retirees just having fun, a sprinkle of folks who think they are pros, and people who are self employed taking an hour or so off. I drove by the Belvidere Illinois Chrysler plant and there were thousands of cars parked as people were making American made cars. I saw the same thing in Jackson Ms two weeks ago. This country is working. We are building better buildings and cars. We are consuming less gas, and keeping our money in this country. We just have to flush the traitors out of office and get people who like people. Who care about average folks. Joliet used to be a dying rust belt city......it is growing. Elgin a dying rust belt city.....it is growing. The Belvidere Chrysler plant was shuttered for awhile, and now they are making from what I hear is a great vehicle called the dodge dart.

I am thankful for everyday which lets me travel and observe. I am having fun playing poker and observing people. If you love people, and the crazy things we do and say, the melting pot is just getting way too much fun. I have told the story about the 40 year old korean poker player who was a pro skateboarder whose traditional Korean parents rejected his career path......now he sadly drinks too much, but what a wealth of observations and fun he is to sit down at the poker table. I played with a retired school teacher from Milton at Greyhound last week who was complaining about a eighty buck blouse she wanted for a women's golf outing at Pensacola Country Club, and no sooner did she complain she would never spend that amount she got four of a kind and it was a promotion night and she was paid a hundred bucks.....she put it in her purse and like a little kid said, I think I will get that blouse. We live in a great country.

2seaoat wrote:In January 2012 I got very bad news from Moffit in Tampa that my liver had three large tumors and my endocrine cancer had metastasis on the liver.  I figured I would live 3 to 6 months, and decided to get my treatment at Northwestern where they were doing some remarkable things with endocrine cancer.   Transferred property over to my wife and made funeral and business plans which would allow things to be easier for my wife.   On a cold January morning I was sitting in the Northwestern Cafeteria on the second floor(an amazing place for the variety of food) and watched as a building was being torn down.

It was amazing to see what techniques were used to destroy this building while people and cars drove by like normal.   That first six months I saw the building taken out and watched for months as they sunk supports deep into the bedrock.  Each month returning at least once and often three or more times as I would always sit by the window and watch.  The cranes they use to snake up the building are amazing. The concrete pours are amazing.  The steel work is amazing, and each month I watched an army work in unison to build this amazing creation.   Today, I saw the building nearing 40 floors and still going vertical as the finished skin has been applied but I still see into the first floor where welding operations continue to amaze me.   Northwest Hospital and the near north side of Chicago is an amazing place.   The place has been bustling for two years I have been observing.

I commented on the Prius cabs, and now two years later all I see are Prius cabs......it is amazing.  This country is advancing and growing.  We are getting stronger.   I am thankful I have had the time to watch this amazing building pierce the sky.   We are getting smarter and smarter in our approaches to engineering and as I waited for my shots I read a Smithsonian which featured the advances in bioengineering the human body.   I have never seen such diversity of peoples on the North Shore of Chicago and at Northwestern Hospital.  So many people who enrich our culture and make our lives so rich and full.  I celebrate one more day of shots, and see that building grow, and know my grandchildren will be blessed to have lived in such a great nation.
Northwestern Memorial Hospital confirmed Wednesday that it has laid off 230 employees over the last month as part of an effort to reduce its cost structure by a quarter by 2017.

The hospital blamed the cuts on lower patient volume and forthcoming cuts in government reimbursement for Medicare and Medicaid patients as a result of the 2010 health care overhaul.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-22/business/chi-northwestern-hospital-confirms-230-layoffs-20120822_1_holli-salls-health-care-patient

You probably wouldnt care if one of those people was someone who initially helped you when you first was looking out that window.

2seaoat

You tell me. How do you cut costs? Most folks want to see greater efficiencies. Greater efficiencies means less people. On the 21st floor is the cancer infusion floor. This is where very sick people get infused, or in my case I receive two very expensive shots. The room is very large. When you get off of one of the six elevators you are met by a reception desk where two employees sit. They used to give you a restaurant hand held buzzer which goes off when they are ready to take you for blood work, doctors, or infusion. You then are supposed to go to financial advisers which is another fancy word for bill collectors. Well starting last week they eliminated the two people sitting at the check in desk, and now people line up to talk to the financial folks first, and they give out the buzzers. This eliminated two jobs, but the system was totally wasteful. Chrissy you are neck deep in inefficiency and you want to justify it. The affordable care act is all about cutting costs. Health care inflation over the last 20 years have you folks thinking that you get anything you want without fiscal constraint. No other part of our economy has suffered such out of control inflation. I approve of greater efficiency, and based on what NW has done with cancer patients checking in for appointments, it has been smart.

Sal

Sal

Cool story, Mr. Oats.

No baseball today.

Off to the beach.

Gonna try a new spot - Stump Pass Beach State Park.

Double-header tomorrow.

Enjoy your weekend.

sunny 

2seaoat wrote:You tell me.  How do you cut costs?  Most folks want to see greater efficiencies.  Greater efficiencies means less people.  On the 21st floor is the cancer infusion floor.  This is where very sick people get infused, or in my case I receive two very expensive shots.   The room is very large.   When you get off of one of the six elevators you are met by a reception desk where two employees sit.  They used to give you a restaurant hand held buzzer which goes off when they are ready to take you for blood work, doctors, or infusion.  You then are supposed to go to financial advisers which is another fancy word for bill collectors.   Well starting last week they eliminated the two people sitting at the check in desk, and now people line up to talk to the financial folks first, and they give out the buzzers.   This eliminated two jobs, but the system was totally wasteful.   Chrissy you are neck deep in inefficiency and you want to justify it.  The affordable care act is all about cutting costs.  Health care inflation over the last 20 years have you folks thinking that you get anything you want without fiscal constraint.  No other part of our economy has suffered such out of control inflation.   I approve of greater efficiency, and based on what NW has done with cancer patients checking in for appointments, it has been smart.
I come from the school of keep the things that help the most. Because I live in reality and understand there is no such that you can take what we have and give everybody a little bit. The train of thought of giving everyone a crumb is not sustainable. Sure, sounds sweet, warm and brings butterfly flutters to your heart. unfortunately its not reality.

I have sat on boards where we looked at leaning down our cost. I have taken many courses on 6 sig. Ive negotiated many contracts to lower supply cost and I have lost positions through attrition. And I have watched people including myself pick up the slack from positions not being replaced. I have watched people so tired that they were crying as they continued to do their job or some simply become ill and fall over.

During the above I have watched and had to document as errors increased due to overworked employees who are now working at twice the speed with twice the amount of work to do and its going to get worse. because we expect people to be robots. this is about production now and this is the way your idea has pushed our healthcare setting into. This is how it works now in most places. a production line, leaned out by people who don't understand a particular job skill but have penned some formula to it and expect you to make it work. << this is exactly what ACA has forced further. and I wont even get into all the damming regulations. because "care" is of my concern and you apparently do not understand that at some point you can lean out so far that quality care goes away in favor of "mass production". and if you don't get that, I cant help you.

They didn't build that... your 22k dollar shots did.

PkrBum wrote:They didn't build that... your 22k dollar shots did.
Wink 

I think $22,000. shots are going to have to go away. I looked at the budget and we spend about $2. million a year to help about 5 people.

I believe we could take that 2 million and open a free clinic and create 20 jobs with a few of them being high paying for docs, and half of the rest being middle class staff and then the rest being support staff. This includes operational cost.

2seaoat

I think $22,000. shots are going to have to go away.

Yep, I have to agree. However, my way of getting rid of them is to allow Americans to get the same pricing as the rest of the world...........6k for the same shots. Until we address why Americans are paying about double for drugs than western Europe and Canada..........then we will simply bankrupt our system. We need to get competitive prices and not have President Obama sell out to the drug companies for a decade by saving 10 billion and leaving 1 trillion on the table.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum