Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cooking with Spam.

+3
TEOTWAWKI
knothead
Joanimaroni
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Cooking with Spam. Empty Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 9:00 pm

Cooking with Spam. Th?id=H.4820900049913465&pid=1

One of the easiest recipes to make with Spam is to slice it into nice even slabs and then fry it in oil in a pan on top of the stove. This gourmet delicacy goes well with an egg side, hash browns, and a piece of fruit at breakfast.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Laughing

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 9/6/2013, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 9:28 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Damaged Eagle wrote:Cooking with Spam. Th?id=H.4820900049913465&pid=1

One of the easiest recipes to make with Spam is to slice it into nice even slabs and then fry it in oil in a pan on top of the stove. This gourmet delicacy goes well with an egg side, hash browns, and a piece of fruit at breakfast.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY

Laughing

Sounds complicated.

3Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:01 pm

knothead

knothead

I love spam . . . . always have and one of my favorite breakfast meals (that I rarely allow myself) is to open the can of spam and remove contents. Cut the contents in half . . . . then dice into approximately 1/4" cubes and set aside. Three fresh eggs are blended thoroughly . . . .. place about 2 Tbps of butter in skillet and let it begin to melt . . . . when butter just begins to bubble from the heat place the spam in the skillet and saute' about 2-3 minutes . . . . . . remove spam from skillet set aside and place eggs into skillet and scramble on low heat until it just begins to coagulate . . . dump spam into skillet with eggs and mix thoroughly . . . . . remove from heat while eggs are still soft. One muffin or a slice of toast with black coffee and it is fantabulous!

4Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:13 pm

Ugh.... My step mother spammed my sister and I with spam when we were kids when my dad would deploy. If eat an MRE before I would spam. Spam and macaroni and cheese mixed together.....yuuuuuuxl

5Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:17 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I only have SPAM for survival food..I know for a fact it will be the last thing I eat before I starve, turkey spam is almost palatable though, but will stay buried until my kitchen cabinets are bare.

6Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:21 pm

knothead

knothead

C'mon man . . . . . it's mystery meat!!!! My fondness for it stems from camping trips when I was a teen and it tasted wonderful to me . . . . . my wife hates it . . .

7Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:21 pm

I hate spam. Years ago when people had no money they would buy spam and fry it up for meat. God knows what's in it.

8Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:24 pm

they serve spam at mcdonalds in Hawaii

9Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:26 pm

Lol in Hawaii???

10Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 10:31 pm

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Lol in Hawaii???
yep, its a big deal there, they love it.

11Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 11:06 pm

knothead

knothead

Dreamsglore wrote:I hate spam. Years ago when people had no money they would buy spam and fry it up for meat. God knows what's in it.

dreams, it's mystery meat . . . . . . lips, cheeks but is very good . . . . . . yall sound like my grand daughters . . . . . .WHAT'S That? I say shut up and eat it then we will talk . . . .

12Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/5/2013, 11:31 pm

knothead wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:I hate spam. Years ago when people had no money they would buy spam and fry it up for meat. God knows what's in it.
dreams, it's mystery meat . . . . . . lips, cheeks but is very good . . . . . . yall sound like my grand daughters . . . . . .WHAT'S That? I say shut up and eat it then we will talk . . . .
That's what's scary. Nobody knows what's in spam. I doubt there's any ham in it at all. It's probably diced up pigs intestines. UGH!

13Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 12:50 am

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Lol in Hawaii???
They have many recipes for Spam in Hawaii.  Think about it.  It has only been in the past 40 years that food has been flown all around our country.  EVERYTHING came to Hawaii by ship and a lot does still.

Last edited by Markle on 9/6/2013, 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

14Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 1:12 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

For breakfast yesterday, I had cubed Spam, lightly fried in melted margarine, with an egg scrambled into it, and a slice of American cheese melted on top, open faced on a slice of sour dough toast.

It was delicious!

I like also like Spam in a chef's salad.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

15Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 1:17 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Dreamsglore wrote:
knothead wrote:
That's what's scary. Nobody knows what's in spam. I doubt there's any ham in it at all. It's probably diced up pigs intestines. UGH!
Nonsense, Dreams. It is pork shoulder meat, with some ham in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)

"...The labeled ingredients in the classic variety of Spam are chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative...."

16Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 3:01 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

I like Spam (spiced ham). Sliced about 1/4" thick and pan fried until very crispy. On toasted bread with mayo, mustard and cheese.

I also like Spam spread in the little can. I know Grocery Outlet carries it. Spread it on sour dough bread with mayo and cheese then grill it. Yum! Yum
!

17Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 3:07 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

Spam Jam Waikiki

18Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 3:49 pm

Cooking with Spam. Th?id=H.4806614991703126&pid=1

Another delicious recipe to try with your Spam is chicken-fried Spam.

Chicken Fried Spam:

1 (16 ounce) can Spam, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
2 cups self rising flour, seasoned with
salt & pepper
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/8 cup hot sauce, I use Crystal
1/8 cup milk
1/4 cup oil (for frying)

Directions:

1. Mix eggs, milk and hot sauce in a bowl. Hot sauce does not maintain it's heat so use how much you want.

2. Put flour salt and pepper in another bowl.

3. Heat oil in a pan to about 300 deg. I use peanut oil.

4. Dip Spam in egg then flour and fry till golden brown. I serve with Chicken gravy and mashed Potatoes.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Very Happy 

19Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 4:17 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Another delicious recipe to try with your Spam is chicken-fried Spam.

Has your cardiologist checked your arteries lately?

On second thought, I'd probably like that. But, I am taking baby steps (at almost age 62) toward eating a little more healthy. I have cut my sugar consumption by 85% for the last 8 weeks now. I would normally be chewing through a couple of Hershey bars each day (I am a chocolate fiend), and eating other candy. Halloween is going to be a tough season to bear, as there will be a big bowl of leftover candy that didn't get handed out, begging to be consumed. I am going to have to be strong.

I do have a couple of Big Cherry bars (can't find these in Florida) hidden in my dresser. I intend to eat them, but not too soon, however.  

20Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 9:42 pm

Spam sucks.

Enough said.

21Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 9:49 pm

Actually,I just learned something. I did not know that the designation of "spam" in electronic communications came from the Monty Python sketch where everything in a diner had spam included.
I figured the computer  term had nothing to do with the meat.

22Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 10:03 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Spam is popular in Hawaii because it's popular with Asians. There is a spam sushi roll that's popular in Hawaii.

My husband likes spam. He learned to love it as a boy scout years ago. What's funny is that he is pretty picky about meats he'll eat. He won't eat any other type of canned meat that I can think of. But once in a while he likes to fry some spam up with eggs.

23Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/6/2013, 10:38 pm

Hawaii consumes more Spam than any state in our union -- in total, 7 million cans a year.

According to the SPAM website, the island's love affair with Spam began in World War II, when GIs were served the salty luncheon meat because it didn't require refrigeration and had a long shelf life. The Hormel Corporation, which manufactures Spam, provided 15 million cans to Allied troops every week. Between 1941 and 1945, Hormel had shipped over 100 million pounds overseas.

Though the name Spam is a shortened version of "spiced ham," Army soldiers would often refer to it as "Special Army Meat." Surpluses of Spam made their way from the soldiers' supplies into native diets throughout the Pacific. To this day, Hawaiians love Spam Musubi, a sushi-style slice of Spam served with rice and seaweed, spam fried rice, and my dad's favorite, spam and eggs.

Spam is so popular throughout Hawaii that it's been nicknamed the "Hawaiian steak" and is even found on the islands' McDonald's and Burger King menus. During the last week of April, the annual Spam Jam takes place in Waikiki. And before taking office, Hawaii's most prominent native son, Barack Obama, surprised reporters when he ordered spam musubi while on vacation in Oahu.

But Hawaii isn't alone. In the territory of Guam, each person consumes 16 cans of Spam a year on average. In the UK, Spam fritters are served battered and deep-fried. In Hong Kong, Spam is often eaten with instant noodles. And as a result of the Korean War, Koreans enjoy Spam kimbap, a rice and vegetable filled seaweed roll.

Has Spam found its way into your diet? Here's a few places where you can try Spam Musubi stateside:

24Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/7/2013, 12:34 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Mr Ichi wrote:Hawaii consumes more Spam than any state in our union -- in total, 7 million cans a year.

According to the SPAM website, the island's love affair with Spam began in World War II, when GIs were served the salty luncheon meat because it didn't require refrigeration and had a long shelf life. The Hormel Corporation, which manufactures Spam, provided 15 million cans to Allied troops every week. Between 1941 and 1945, Hormel had shipped over 100 million pounds overseas.

Though the name Spam is a shortened version of "spiced ham," Army soldiers would often refer to it as "Special Army Meat." Surpluses of Spam made their way from the soldiers' supplies into native diets throughout the Pacific. To this day, Hawaiians love Spam Musubi, a sushi-style slice of Spam served with rice and seaweed, spam fried rice, and my dad's favorite, spam and eggs.

Spam is so popular throughout Hawaii that it's been nicknamed the "Hawaiian steak" and is even found on the islands' McDonald's and Burger King menus. During the last week of April, the annual Spam Jam takes place in Waikiki. And before taking office, Hawaii's most prominent native son, Barack Obama, surprised reporters when he ordered spam musubi while on vacation in Oahu.

But Hawaii isn't alone. In the territory of Guam, each person consumes 16 cans of Spam a year on average. In the UK, Spam fritters are served battered and deep-fried. In Hong Kong, Spam is often eaten with instant noodles. And as a result of the Korean War, Koreans enjoy Spam kimbap, a rice and vegetable filled seaweed roll.

Has Spam found its way into your diet? Here's a few places where you can try Spam Musubi stateside:
Tons of Spam were also supplied to the Soviet Union during WWII. Nikita Kruschev was quoted as saying: "Without Spam, we would not have been able to feed our army."

25Cooking with Spam. Empty Re: Cooking with Spam. 9/7/2013, 2:56 pm

Cooking with Spam. Th?id=H.4950526456367141&pid=1

I see you want a healthy choice

Stir-fry Spam

Ingredients:

1/3 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
Water 1/3 Cup (16 tbs)
2 to 3 teaspoons HOUSE OF TSANG Chinese Hot Oil
Ground ginger 1/2 Teaspoon
Meat 1 Can (10oz), cubed
Broccoli florets 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Onion 1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped
Snow peas 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Red bell pepper 1 To taste, cut into strips
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Baby corn 1 Can (10oz), drained
1 (7-ounce) jar mushrooms, drained
Hot cooked white rice 6 Cup (16 tbs)

Directions:

In small bowl, combine teriyaki sauce, water, Chinese hot oil and ginger; set aside.
In wok or large skillet, stir-fry SPAM, broccoli, onion, snow peas and bell pepper in vegetable oil 2 minutes.
Add teriyaki sauce mixture; cook until bubbly.
Add baby corn and mushrooms; heat thoroughly.
Serve over rice.

NOTE: You can eliminate or add vegetables as desired and seasonal availability.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum