Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big lay off at the PNJ?

+2
PBulldog2
Floridatexan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 8:39 am

Rumor has it there was a large lay off at the PNJ. Anyone else hear anything?

2Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 9:28 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://ricksblog.biz/buzz-the-ax-man-cometh-layoffs-at-pnj/

Gannett has mandated layoffs across its newspaper empire. Pensacola News Journal employees aren’t escaping the ax. Managing Editor Ginny Graybiel and Columnist Shannon Nickinson were notified yesterday their services will no longer be needed.

Over the next few days, we may get a more complete list of the terminations. We are hearing that there will be the termination of one more major employee today.

Gannett nationally has had more than 350 layoffs and open positions cut across at least 57 of about 80 U.S. newspaper sites, according to Gannett Blog reader estimates.

Today Gannett blog posted this from a reader about the Pensacola layoffs and Graybiel:

“Heart and soul Managing Editor Ginny Graybiel is sacked in so-called layoff,” they wrote. “With 37 years at the PNJ, Graybiel’s leadership bringing the powerbrokers and arrogant burghermeisters in this unbelievably corrupt town and county to heel has been legendary and an inspiration to a small but dedicated staff.

“A tireless editor who logged 80 hours a week shepherding a dismantled Gannett property to greatness week to week with ideas, great editing and lots of bloody verve, she’s rewarded with a lame sacking.”

Post Published: 23 August 2013
Author: Rick Outzen
Found in section: Business

----------------
http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/in-gannett-jet-use-perk-thats-literally.html

3Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 10:45 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Executive editor Richard Schneider is retiring today, according to Rick's Blog.

4Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 10:49 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Mike Suchchiki's Daily Convo was shut down a week ago, but I understand he is moving to another position.

5Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 10:52 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Could this be because of Obamacare ? stay tuned for the blow by blow...

6Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 12:36 pm

Maybe they should have been selling more papers to the 600,000 Blue Wahoo fans. No doubt about it, Pensacola is in a growth cycle.

7Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 1:32 pm

will someone please play the you tube video, "weve only just begun" ?

8Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 1:36 pm

. wrote:will someone please play the you tube video, "weve only just begun" ?

9Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 1:36 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Could this be because of Obamacare ? stay tuned for the blow by blow...
No, Gannett has been doing massive layoffs for a long time. You cant blame Obama for everything:P 

Columnist Shannon Nickinson:

Glad that liberal bitch is gone!

10Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 1:58 pm

Yella

Yella

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Could this be because of Obamacare ? stay tuned for the blow by blow...
Yep, it is Obama's fault, as is everything dire and catastrophic. Everything from Noah and his struggles with the flood right up to Mike ThreeCs.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

11Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 2:00 pm

Yella

Yella

Mr Ichi wrote:Maybe they should have been selling more papers to the 600,000 Blue Wahoo fans.  No doubt about it, Pensacola is in a growth cycle.  
Hurray for the Blue Wahoos and to the Stooderville Coliseum where opponents come to see their own personal dreams fulfilled.

12Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 2:45 pm

Yella wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:Maybe they should have been selling more papers to the 600,000 Blue Wahoo fans.  No doubt about it, Pensacola is in a growth cycle.  
Hurray for the Blue Wahoos and to the Stooderville Coliseum where opponents come to see their own personal dreams fulfilled.

The newspaper is printed in (gasp!) Mobile, AL. For many years. Gannett Corp doesn't give a rats ass if local jobs are sacrificed. So glad Kevin Doyle is retiring. Another piece of shitty pnj employee that needed to go. Good riddance you son of a bitch!

600,000 Blue Wahoo fans

Your #'s are wrong there buddy.

13Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 2:50 pm

I Know but not according the PNJ and Ricks Blah

4 Responses to “Buzz: Wahoos will have its 600,000th fan attend game tonight”

Dale Parker says:
August 15, 2013 at 10:52 am
Logically that statement is no possible. It would require that every fan be different. No repeat visitors at all. With that being said, since most of their fans are repeat visitors unique fans probably does not exceed 10,000-12,000 if that. I think that I read somewhere about the number of season ticket holders, a small percentage may horse trade or sell their tickets through the Wahoo’s system of doing so… but again that would not near approach the 600,000 being claimed.

Now, did 600,000 walk through the gates… that answer is correct. Just not 600,000 individual fans as indicated in this by-line.

14Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 2:59 pm

Markle

Markle

For decades newspapers across the country have treated their customers, people who bought the newspaper as necessary evils. They believed the adage that you don't get into a fight with someone who buys their ink in barrels.

They were flagrant about their disdain for what readers said they wanted and, for the most part, did their own thing.

When the internet came along, they looked down on it like it was the red headed step child. A passing fad with none of the superb JOURNALISTS and skills of a highly paid organization.

Now they have been relegated to reporting local sporting even scores and other local stories. Even there they frequently get beaten to a story by the citizens reporting news on-line.

How long before they're down to a weekly publication?

15Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 3:29 pm

Yella

Yella

BP wrote:
Yella wrote:
The newspaper is printed in (gasp!) Mobile, AL. For many years. Gannett Corp doesn't give a rats ass if local jobs are sacrificed. So glad Kevin Doyle is retiring. Another piece of shitty pnj employee that needed to go. Good riddance you son of a bitch!

600,000 Blue Wahoo fans

Your #'s are wrong there buddy.
So it's really 730,000 sports crazed Pensacoians. Whats a couple of thousand fans? Next year when the City Council okays the Stooderville SkyHook Parking Facility up in the stratosphere all problems here on earth will be dealt with efficiently as usual.

16Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 3:35 pm

PNJ cuts publishing schedule to once a week....................every other week..............at a discounted  rate price of only 300 dollars a month.......
Big lay off at the PNJ?  9k=

17Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 4:02 pm

Yella

Yella

Mr Ichi wrote:PNJ cuts publishing schedule to once a week....................every other week..............at a discounted  rate price of only 300 dollars a month.......
I get 30 crossword puzzles a month for $25.80. Probably a rotten deal but I also get Andy Marlette's cartoons which makes it worthwhile.

When he goes, I go.

18Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 7:12 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Yella wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:PNJ cuts publishing schedule to once a week....................every other week..............at a discounted  rate price of only 300 dollars a month.......
I get 30 crossword puzzles a month for $25.80. Probably a rotten deal but I also get Andy Marlette's cartoons which makes it worthwhile.

When he goes, I go.
You can do all of the crosswords you want here online for free:

http://webcrosswords.com/

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

19Big lay off at the PNJ?  Empty Re: Big lay off at the PNJ? 8/23/2013, 7:31 pm

Markle

Markle

Decades ago the editor of the Tallahassee Democrat appeared before the Tallahassee Builders Association. As always, the Democrat Editorial page had taken a strong position against builders and supporting draconian ordinances regarding trees and green spaces.

I can't recall the name of the editor, but he was adamant in his talk that the Tallahassee Democrat came right down the middle on all issues pointing out the pros and cons fairly. In his opinion.

He was asked how many editors took part in the meetings and the writing of the editorials. The editor said, including himself, there were nine. The follow up question was how many of those are Democrats and Republicans. The editor replied that, to the best of his knowledge all of them were Democrats...BUT that THEY KNEW the viewpoint of Republicans and felt that they were always fairly represented.

It was a dinner meeting so there were a lot of people there associated with the building industry and spouses. The entire hall collapsed in raucous laughter! I almost felt sorry for him but I was busy wiping the tears of laughter from my face.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum