Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Deweese gets a slap down in court

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130812/NEWS01/130812012/Nate-Monroe-Blog-Judge-dismisses-lawsuit-against-Mayor-Hayward

Constant backstabbing does nothing to address problems.

Why I Joined Veto Lawsuit
By Councilman Bare
AUG
In November 2009, the voters of Pensacola chose to change our form of government from a council-manager to mayor-council. Prior to this action, there was no separation of powers. The new charter clearly assigns legislative powers exclusively to the city council, the governing body, and executive duties to the mayor.

In September 2012, Pensacola Mayor Ashton Hayward violated the charter and the separation of powers outlined in the charter. He submitted a line item veto message to the city council eliminating changes to the budget made by council. A veto can only operate as a negative act used to destroy an appropriation. When the Governor uses his line item veto in the state budget, all funding is removed, it is zeroed out. He cannot use a veto to partially fund the vetoed appropriation nor may he move that funding somewhere else in the budget with the veto. Yet, Mayor Hayward did just that.

Mayor Hayward instructed staff to craft a veto message that would not destroy the appropriations. Instead, he had his employees draft the final budget to reflect the amounts he originally proposed (with the exception of an amount eliminated which was equal to the amount used to fund the chief of staff position). In essence, he took legislative action by appropriating funds, and unilaterally amended the budget presented to him by the council. The Mayor illegally restored funding to line items which had been reduced by the council and then vetoed by him, a legislative act. As a result, he violated the separation of powers between the legislative and executive branches and deprived the citizens of Pensacola from having the protections of the new form of city government they chose when the 2010 Charter was voted into law.

Late last year, former councilwoman Maren DeWeese filed a lawsuit alleging, among other things, that the mayor’s actions in the FY2013 Budget process were illegal and a violation of the separation of powers and the charter. Today, through my attorney, I have filed a motion to join this lawsuit.

I joined this lawsuit because I believe in this case, because I believe that we must protect and preserve the new form of government that the citizens of Pensacola chose. This form of government, like our federal and state governments, has at its very core the principle of separation of powers. Per the Charter, the Council has the power “to adopt the annual budget and all other appropriations necessary for efficient City government.” While the Mayor has the ability to veto items, the veto cannot be used as a legislative tool to make amendments to legislation such as the City Budget.

As an elected member of the governing body of this city, I believe it is my responsibility to ensure that the citizens of Pensacola have the government guaranteed to them in the charter. While judicial action is not always the appropriate venue to resolve disputes, the judiciary, our third branch of government, exists to assist in maintaining the balance of power between the other branches of our government.

2seaoat

Two dumbasses........looking to self promote.........

knothead

knothead

This is typical of our local governance . . . . self edification! Hayward could have a bright future but his ego gets in the way or at least that's my view.

2seaoat

I think Hayward has a great future, but this petty self promotion and conflict is simply silly. The voters wanted strong Mayoral government, and when they got it......a few people simply wanted to do self promotion.....it is not like Bare did not already run for mayor once......such shallow and obvious motivations........so much potential.....so little time for nonsense.

A criminal justice system is crumbling around this pettiness and real people are being hurt.......thankfully a Judge sent a strong message........

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum