Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How good are you at math?

+2
no stress
boards of FL
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1How good are you at math? Empty How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 4:33 pm

How good are you at math? 25191814

2How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 4:39 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

6?

3How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 4:56 pm

boards of FL wrote:6?

24?

4How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 5:13 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

(2x2) + (2x2) + 2 -(2x2) = ?

4 + 4 + 2 - 4 = 6

5How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 5:19 pm

boards of FL wrote:(2x2) + (2x2) + 2 -(2x2) = ?

4 + 4 + 2 - 4 = 6

yes had there been parenthesis, that what i would have done too.

I thought about it and almost used that method. but they were not grouped that way so I didnt use the unknown parenthsis method.

at least im not scared to get it wrong lol

6How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 5:24 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

No parentheses are needed when you are multiplying. Use variables instead of numbers.

6q + 2p = ?

You could re-write the above as...

6 x q + 2 x p = ?

2 x 2 = 2(2) = 4

6 x q = 6(q) = 6q

7How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 5:30 pm

I got 24 too, Chrissy. I have a minor in math, but haven't used it in a coon's age, so... I could very well be wrong.

8How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 5:31 pm

boards of FL wrote:No parentheses are needed when you are multiplying. Use variables instead of numbers.

6q + 2p = ?

You could re-write the above as...

6 x q + 2 x p = ?

2 x 2 = 2(2) = 4

6 x q = 6(q) = 6q

your using algebra formulas for what appears to be a basic math problem.

I view that problem like someone would view a run on sentence. cept math wise.

Ive choosen to not group into parenthesis based exactly on what I see, not what I presume is supposed to be there.

Perhaps ghost can give us the answer?

9How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 5:32 pm

riceme wrote:I got 24 too, Chrissy. I have a minor in math, but haven't used it in a coon's age, so... I could very well be wrong.

I could be wrong too as Ive said lol

but I never add parenthesis in math as a presumption. just sayin

10How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 6:00 pm

no stress

no stress

24. Theres no brackets to do the math in sub sets.

11How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 6:03 pm

6 is the answer.

12How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 6:29 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

If an egg and a half costs a penny and a half, how much is a dozen eggs?

13How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 6:33 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:How good are you at math? 25191814

24 is the correct answer

14How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 6:34 pm

ghandi wrote:If an egg and a half costs a penny and a half, how much is a dozen eggs?
12c

15How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 6:35 pm

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Correct.

You wouldn't believe how many people say 6 or 18.

Must have been al gore math advisors before.

Chrissy8 wrote:
ghandi wrote:If an egg and a half costs a penny and a half, how much is a dozen eggs?
12c

16How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 6:40 pm

ghandi wrote:Correct.

You wouldn't believe how many people say 6 or 18.

Must have been al gore math advisors before.

Chrissy8 wrote:
12c

I dont really use this kind of math anymore. I mostly deal with make 2 ml of a 1:50 dilution from stock. Or I need a 70% alcohol and I need 4 liters of it. crap like that.

so I hope ghost comes along and gives the answer. and then lets stop doing this, its too much like work lol

17How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 7:09 pm

For those of you that said 6 you are correct.

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

If no parenthesis is shown in the equation then perform the calculations as applies to Rule 2 then Rule 3.

18How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 7:29 pm

[quote="Ghost_Rider1"]For those of you that said 6 you are correct.

Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

If no parenthesis is shown in the equation then perform the calculations as applies to Rule 2 then Rule 3.[/quote

can you show us dumbasses where you got the rules and the answer? I went to the site where that came from and it wanted me to download something.

thanks in advance

19How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 7:37 pm

[quote="Chrissy8"]
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:For those of you that said 6 you are correct.

If no parenthesis is shown in the equation then perform the calculations as applies to Rule 2 then Rule 3.[/quote

can you show us dumbasses where you got the rules and the answer? I went to the site where that came from and it wanted me to download something.

thanks in advance

http://www.mathgoodies.com/Lessons/vol7/order_operations.html

This site explains the order of operation.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

This will give you the answer when you type the equation into the box.

BTW, you ain't no dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 7/26/2012, 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

20How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 7:38 pm

never mind, order of operations.

good goin... dont use it you loose it, those damn 5th graders are laughing lol

21How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 7:40 pm

Chrissy8 wrote:never mind, order of operations.

Ain't that the truth. It was sent to me and the first time I worked it I came up with 24 also. Then I went to the WolframAlpha site and found out just how wrong I was.

22How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 7:48 pm

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:never mind, order of operations.

Ain't that the truth. It was sent to me and the first time I worked it I came up with 24 also. Then I went to the WolframAlpha site and found out just how wrong I was.

math really is something you have to use alot to keep up with. Like I mentioned earlier, I can do dilution and solution math well because I work with it.

I have that app on my iphone "are you smarter than a 5th grader" lol No comment No

its all good. youve reminded me of something I had forgotten, maybe I can help some 5th grader with their homework now lol

23How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 8:03 pm

If no parenthesis is shown in the equation then perform the calculations as applies to Rule 2 then Rule 3.

Dammit, man! I knew there was stuff I was forgetting. Like they say, use it or lose it! I guess I done lost it!

24How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 8:05 pm

riceme wrote:

Dammit, man! I knew there was stuff I was forgetting. Like they say, use it or lose it! I guess I done lost it!

As I said earlier, I also came up with the wrong answer and finally had to get in from Wolframalpha.

25How good are you at math? Empty Re: How good are you at math? 7/26/2012, 8:59 pm

Math questions like that were on the graduate entrance exam.I remembered from then how to add them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum