Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kitchen remodel

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Kitchen remodel Empty Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 8:28 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

We need to update our 1970's kitchen. It's a simple 10x12 kitchen. It doesn't have that many cabinets and it doesn't have a lot of counter space. Just a pretty average 1970's kitchen. So we've been looking a lot at kitchen cabinets and counters. We signed up at BJ's wholesale place (like Sam's Club and Costco) last week and there was a window/kitchen remodel guy there who represents a company that does cabinet door refacing. They replace the doors and drawers and leave the cabinet boxes in place. Our cabinet boxes aren't in bad shape, but the doors are made of particle board--and they are pretty bad looking. So we made an appointment to have their guy come out and give us a quote on refacing our cabinets. We've also looked at Lowe's and Home Depot to get an idea on costs and products. Also, last weekend we visited a showroom in Jacksonville that has their own cabinet making factory in the back. This place is owned by a Chinese family. The guy there took us to the back where several Chinese guys were building cabinets. We also made an appointment for him to come out to give us a quote on completely new cabinets and counters.

So...the Chinese guy came out this morning and measured for cabinets. After doing a little research, I decided on going with quartz counters to replace the original gold formica counter tops. We're waiting on the quote from him on what he will charge to replace our cabinets (with real wood) and our counters with quartz.

So then this afternoon the guy from the company that BJ's has a contract with came over. He spent a lot of time telling us how great the company is that he works for - Florida Home Improvement Associates. He had samples of the cabinet doors they use...not real wood, but it doesn't look bad. And then he asked us if we also wanted to replace the counter tops and we said yes. So he said he had some samples of formica in his car to show us. I told him I had quartz in mind...he said they could do granite or quartz counters but that it would cost almost double the cost of the entire kitchen job to put in stone counters. I told him that I do not think I want formica and he said that their formica looks really good, it's very durable and all that. And he said that it looks like granite. So I told him that I would look at it but that it would have to look really, really better than any formica I've ever seen to look anything like granite. So he went to his car and came back with his sample products. He had a stack of colors for us to look at, along with a sample of how the product looks on a counter top. And all of it looked like formica and I told him that I did not like it. Hubby was sitting there, looking somewhat amused at me --of course we have already looked at a number of kitchen remodel places to get an idea what we want. And of course, hubby knows that I don't want to replace 1970's gold formica counters with fake-granite 2013 formica counters. I'd just as soon keep our gold counters; at least they weren't trying to make them look like stone in 1976. The guy also brought in some granite samples, but only one quartz sample. He was really trying to talk us out of granite or quartz. He was talking down any kind of stone counters. I told him that if we were remodeling a house that we intended to rent out, we might go with formica. But I said that if we sale the house, it needs to be granite or quartz on the counters. And he told me again that "most" people cannot tell the difference. Well, I was nice and did not tell him that you would have to be blind AND have no feeling in your hands to tell that his formica product is not granite or quartz. So....after a lot of talking about how great his company is and how great his product is and after measuring the kitchen, he FINALLY came up with two prices--one quote for cabinet refacing with formica counters--that quote was over $12,000! The quote with cabinet refacing and granite counters--over $18,000! Now, we aren't even talking about new cabinets--we're talking about replacing the cabinet doors and drawers with a none-wood type product. The doors they use look alright, but they aren't wood. He tried to pressure us into buying the product but we told him we were still looking at products and options. We were not rude, although I thought my head would explode when he came up with the 12K quote for fake wood doors and formica counters.

So now I'm waiting for the Chinese guy to give us a quote on his real wood cabinets with quartz counter tops. I'm hoping to hear from him this weekend with a quote.

My questions to y'all--do you know anything about this Florida Home Improvement Associates company? BJ's, Costco and Sam's Club all have a contract with the company for window replacement and cabinet refacing. I have no idea what they charge for windows but their price quotes for our kitchen are around double the price I was expecting.

Has anyone had their kitchen cabinet doors replaced and what was the cost like?

Also, any ideas on preferences for quartz or granite or another counter surface?

2Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 8:38 pm

I bought the oak cabinets at Lowe's and had them put in by a private contractor-cost $3000 including installing a pantry cabinet. The counters were some kind of new material that cost about $200 cut our from Lowe's.Looks great!

3Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 8:39 pm

Oh and that's an outrageous estimate.

4Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 8:46 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Thank you, Dreams.  That's what I'm trying to get--an idea about what is reasonable.  Just from looking at Lowe's and Home Depot, they can do full cabinet replacements for a couple of thousand less than this company's quote to replace just the doors and drawers.   Hubby said next time we're in Lowe's or Home Depot (probably tomorrow) he is going to price their formica.  The price breakdown today was--nearly $9000 just to replace the cabinet doors and drawers (with a non-wood product) and over $3000 to install the formica counter tops.  If I was going to go with formica it would not be any of the color samples he brought today.  It would be a more solid color look. Everything he showed us today was just a bad imitation of granite. As for formica, we have the original gold counters from when the house was built and it has held up remarkably well. We're thinking in terms of the most bang for the buck in the event that we decide to sell this house...which we probably will.

5Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 8:58 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:Thank you, Dreams.  That's what I'm trying to get--an idea about what is reasonable.  Just from looking at Lowe's and Home Depot, they can do full cabinet replacements for a couple of thousand less than this company's quote to replace just the doors and drawers.   Hubby said next time we're in Lowe's or Home Depot (probably tomorrow) he is going to price their formica.  The price breakdown today was--nearly $9000 just to replace the cabinet doors and drawers (with a non-wood product) and over $3000 to install the formica counter tops.  If I was going to go with formica it would not be any of the color samples he brought today.  It would be a more solid color look.  Everything he showed us today was just a bad imitation of granite.    As for formica, we have the original gold counters from when the house was built and it has held up remarkably well.  We're thinking in terms of the most bang for the buck in the event that we decide to sell this house...which we probably will.  

Lowes has in-store software that can help you plan a kitchen remodel. Go for what you really want. You will not be happy if you settle for less. Deep drawers are very practical in the kitchen.

Don't forget marble counter tops...the white marble looks great with black cabinets. You can always look for wholesale granite outlets.

6Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 9:20 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

I like marble. I haven't really considered it for kitchen counters.

There was an in-store estimate at Lowe's I think, or maybe Home Dept, for a 10x12 kitchen cabinet replacement ---for around 7K. They weren't top end cabinets but they weren't bad looking either. We have not had Lowe's or Home Depot come out here to give us a quote. But if the Chinese guy comes back with a high quote, I think we might. When we went to his shop, hubby took a drawing with dimensions of our kitchen and the guy there gave us a rough estimate of $5000-$8000 for installed completely new wood cabinets, built right in their shop. Of course, he said he'd have to come out here and measure for a solid quote...which he did today. Waiting on his quote, but based on what he said, I'm expecting a quote for under $8000 for the cabinets. And he also told us when we were in his shop that he got a good price on a Canadian quartz product that he could put on our counters for a reasonable price. So...we are expecting (hoping) for a much lower quote than 18K for full new wood cabinets and quartz counter tops. And that quote will include a couple of lazy susans, which the cabinet reface guy cannot do for us. We are stuck with the same old insides of the cabinets with the reface company.

We had a new fridge delivered today. It's an LG..this is the first time we've bought an LG product. We bought it from a Sear's outlet store in Jax....we also bought a microwave/convection oven to install over the range. We'll go back to the outlet store to shop for a new range and dishwasher once we have a decision and date set for the kitchen remodel job. I LOVE the Sears outlet store!

7Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 9:43 pm

2seaoat

Look, you can do this kitchen. I have done about 6 times and did not know jack, on my first one in 1978. I personally like the Lowe's design team, but once you get the design, you can shop the cabinets. I have finished my own granite counter tops. If you go on 98 between Tiger Point and Midway on the south side of the road is a granite company. They are always cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes. Once you get your cabinets set, they will measure the granite. I have even cut granite tops and set them.....it took a diamond saw blade, but it cut them like butter, and I was shocked that my cut was perfect.....shocked. If you have a pick up truck, they will give you these wooden frames to hold the granite, and if you premeasure.....they will make the cuts which you will have to make a couple cuts, but you can probably find a wholesaler near where you are.

I think the prices you have been quoted are outrageous. I refinished my kitchen cabinets and put new pulls and countertops in Navarre, but I would recommend calling some local handymen as to who they use for raw cabinets with the doors. You may have to finish them.......you may get them finished, but the setting of cabinets is very easy. However, in the end Lowes is pretty good.

8Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/5/2013, 10:08 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

We thought about doing it ourselves (but only briefly).  We have friends who did it themselves...and it looked great when they were done...but it took them a couple of months and a lot of headaches.   If we get several quotes and all are in the 12K+ range, we might consider tackling the job.  But if this Chinese guy comes back with a good quote, we'll go with him.   But the granite or quartz counters...I don't think we'd attempt that, lol.

I am glad to have our thoughts on the prices we were quoted confirmed...hubby and I were pretty much speechless when the guy quoted us 12K+ for new fake wood cabinet doors and new fake granite laminate counters.   I cannot believe that all of the wholesale clubs have this company in their stores.   They quote their prices as being "half the cost of a full kitchen remodel".  The full kitchen remodel "average" he showed us today was something like 53K.   Well, I would think that would include new high end appliances, new flooring, and I would hope wood cabinets and stone counters....but still, we would never spend 53K on a kitchen remodel for this house.   Maybe if we had a half million dollar house and 50k just sitting around we would spend that much for a kitchen remodel.  But not on this 1970's middle class rancher.

9Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 1:06 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

OK, I got the quote from the Chinese owned cabinet company.  So we're looking at less than $9000 with totally new cabinets and granite or quartz counters.  We would not go with a full granite or quartz back splash. Just 4" at the most.  We're thinking about glass tile for the remaining back splash and hubby can do that.   I had decided on quartz but granite is cheaper so I might rethink that. Here is the quote:

***Kitchen Custom made in stock Cabinets (any color)  $5973with installed***
- Maple Wood cabinets
 - Solid wood doors,drawers boxes
 - 1/2" plywood construction,
 - 21"D Dovetail drawer , full extension
 - 100lbs soft close drawer slice

*** Any instock Quartz***
3cm Quartz counter top $2290

3cm Quartz counter top w. 4" backsplash $2465

3cm Quartz counter top w. Full backsplash  $2985

***Any Level one granite ****

3cm granite counter top $1795

3cm granite counter top w. 4" backsplash $2040 (this price based on one slab only)

3cm granite counter top w. Full backsplash $3198

10Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 2:46 pm

2seaoat

How are you handling the kitchen sink in the granite. There are a couple ways to set the sink. Is he doing anything with the existing plumbing and sink? I do not know your total square footage for counter tops or if there are some specialty cuts. The sink would be a major concern as to which method will be used with the granite, and without knowing the square footage, which sink is selected, and what if any special cuts are needed, cannot really comment. Many cabinet and counter top installers do not address the sink and the disconnect and reconnection to whatever sink you choose......address it in any bid......many times I am running around because I assumed with them bringing their sink in the granite, and buying it from them.....that they would do connections.......I always pull the old plumbing out and have my shut offs, but if they are expecting you to do the connections.....need length, connection sizes, and who will have responsibility for connections.

11Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 3:18 pm

Nekochan wrote:I lWaiting on his quote, but based on what he said, I'm expecting a quote for under $8000 for the cabinets.  And he also told us when we were in his shop that he got a good price on a Canadian quartz product that he could put on our counters for a reasonable price.  So...we are expecting (hoping) for a much lower quote than 18K for full new wood cabinets and quartz counter tops.   And that quote will include a couple of lazy susans, which the cabinet reface guy cannot do for us.  We are stuck with the same old insides of the cabinets with the reface company.  

Just as a comparison I had a Mennonite cabinet maker build custom oak cabinets and a new oak wall pantry (that was not in the original kitchen layout). He also put in new cabinet tops and rebuilt the facings where I took the doors off the kitchen entrances. He charged me $2500 and did an outstanding job. I helped a little by removing the old sink and installing the new one when he finished the cabinets. Unfortunately he has moved out of town or I would give you contact info. It does pay to shop around and get several estimates.

These guys do good work too:

Braswell Cabinets
(850) 436-2645

9601 N Palafox St, Pensacola, FL 32534
Near North Northwest Pensacola

12Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 3:19 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sounds very reasonable .....did the price include the finished cabinet staining or is it unfinished?

The under-mount sink is nice. Just make sure you get a quality sink that will last.

13Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 3:20 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joanimaroni wrote:Sounds very reasonable .....did the price include the finished cabinet staining or is it unfinished?

The under-mount sink is nice. Just make sure you get a quality sink that will last.

It includes staining at a color of our choice. I do want to get a nice sink.

14Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 3:23 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

nochain wrote:
Nekochan wrote:I lWaiting on his quote, but based on what he said, I'm expecting a quote for under $8000 for the cabinets.  And he also told us when we were in his shop that he got a good price on a Canadian quartz product that he could put on our counters for a reasonable price.  So...we are expecting (hoping) for a much lower quote than 18K for full new wood cabinets and quartz counter tops.   And that quote will include a couple of lazy susans, which the cabinet reface guy cannot do for us.  We are stuck with the same old insides of the cabinets with the reface company.  

Just as a comparison I had a Mennonite cabinet maker build custom oak cabinets and a new oak wall pantry (that was not in the original kitchen layout). He also put in new cabinet tops and rebuilt the facings where I took the doors off the kitchen entrances. He charged me $2500 and did an outstanding job. I helped a little by removing the old sink and installing the new one when he finished the cabinets. Unfortunately he has moved out of town or I would give you contact info. It does pay to shop around and get several estimates.

These guys do good work too:

Braswell Cabinets
(850) 436-2645

9601 N Palafox St, Pensacola, FL 32534
Near North Northwest Pensacola

Thanks. Would love to have a quote from that Mennonite guy. But we live in Jacksonville.

15Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 3:34 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:How are you handling the kitchen sink in the granite.  There are a couple ways to set the sink.  Is he doing anything with the existing plumbing and sink?   I do not know your total square footage for counter tops or if there are some specialty cuts.  The sink would be a major concern as to which method will be used with the granite, and without knowing the square footage, which sink is selected, and what if any special cuts are needed, cannot really comment.   Many cabinet and counter top installers do not address the sink and the disconnect and reconnection to whatever sink you choose......address it in any bid......many times I am running around because I assumed with them bringing their sink in the granite, and buying it from them.....that they would do connections.......I always pull the old plumbing out and have my shut offs, but if they are expecting you to do the connections.....need length, connection sizes, and who will have responsibility for connections.

Thank you, Seaoat. I know the guy said when he came out to measure that their quote includes installation of the new sink that we buy ourselves and that we should have it there when they start the job. It also includes installing a microwave (but hook up has to be done by an electrician) You mention good details that we didn't talk about yet. What I thought we'd do is take a copy of their quote back to their store this weekend and go through point by point which granite is this price, which quartz is that price and all of the things you mentioned.

16Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 6:47 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Joanimaroni wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Thank you, Dreams.  That's what I'm trying to get--an idea about what is reasonable.  Just from looking at Lowe's and Home Depot, they can do full cabinet replacements for a couple of thousand less than this company's quote to replace just the doors and drawers.   Hubby said next time we're in Lowe's or Home Depot (probably tomorrow) he is going to price their formica.  The price breakdown today was--nearly $9000 just to replace the cabinet doors and drawers (with a non-wood product) and over $3000 to install the formica counter tops.  If I was going to go with formica it would not be any of the color samples he brought today.  It would be a more solid color look.  Everything he showed us today was just a bad imitation of granite.    As for formica, we have the original gold counters from when the house was built and it has held up remarkably well.  We're thinking in terms of the most bang for the buck in the event that we decide to sell this house...which we probably will.  

Lowes has in-store software that can help you plan a kitchen remodel.  Go for what you really want. You will not be happy if  you settle for less. Deep drawers are very practical in the kitchen.

Don't forget marble counter tops...the white marble looks great with black cabinets. You can always look for wholesale granite outlets.

A few years ago Home Depot came up with a kitchen plan. They have designers in the store who can do all the figuring and come up with a quote. The prices from your "formica" guy were outrageous! I think they think that because kitchen cabinets aren't something most people buy very often that they can just say anything!

I got the cabinets from Home Depot. I had to put them together myself. The doors were wood but the box parts were not. They are holding up pretty well and look good even though the house is now a rental.

I agree with Joani, deep drawers are great especially for pots and pans. You don't have to stand on your head to see everything!

17Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 6:56 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I am buying a fixer-upper, total gutting job in Algiers. It is an old shotgun, 1938 with "issues". I just joined Angie's List today and have been reading reviews from people who have had work done by various contractors. It is very enlightening and I think a valuable resource.

I don't think I would feel comfortable with the Chinese company that's out of town (or are they for you?) without seeing some objective references from previous customers. What do you know about their work?

There is a cabinet maker out on Hwy 90 just past the Copper Possum in east Milton but I haven't gone in to see him yet. We're going to need new everything.

Has anyone had any experience with Angie's List?

18Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 7:02 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

othershoe1030 wrote:I am buying a fixer-upper, total gutting job in Algiers. It is an old shotgun, 1938 with "issues". I just joined Angie's List today and have been reading reviews from people who have had work done by various contractors. It is very enlightening and I think a valuable resource.

I don't think I would feel comfortable with the Chinese company that's out of town (or are they for you?) without seeing some objective references from previous customers. What do you know about their work?

There is a cabinet maker out on Hwy 90 just past the Copper Possum in east Milton but I haven't gone in to see him yet. We're going to need new everything.

The Chinese company is actually here, in Jacksonville.  I call them the Chinese place because they are owned by a Chinese family.  Their factory is right there at the back of the store in Jacksonville. We walked to the back and watched the guys making cabinets.  I agree it's a good idea to get references.  They are not on Angie's list. I actually just signed up a few days ago and do not have any experience with using it...yet.

19Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 7:30 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Nekochan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:I am buying a fixer-upper, total gutting job in Algiers. It is an old shotgun, 1938 with "issues". I just joined Angie's List today and have been reading reviews from people who have had work done by various contractors. It is very enlightening and I think a valuable resource.

The Chinese company is actually here, in Jacksonville.  I call them the Chinese place because they are owned by a Chinese family.  Their factory is right there at the back of the store in Jacksonville. We walked to the back and watched the guys making cabinets.  I agree it's a good idea to get references.  They are not on Angie's list.  I actually just signed up a few days ago and do not have any experience with using it...yet.

I don't have any experience with Angie's List either but from the kinds of information the customers are giving it looks as if it will be a very good source of information. They are mentioning things like how prompt the company was, kept to their quote, showed up on time, did great work, etc. I think it is better than throwing a dart at the phone book page! And it is giving me an idea as to who has had experience with my type of project.

good luck with your kitchen. We've been watching a lot of HGTV & do it yourself network shows lately too, inspiring and some OMG too!

20Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 7:47 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

othershoe1030 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

The Chinese company is actually here, in Jacksonville.  I call them the Chinese place because they are owned by a Chinese family.  Their factory is right there at the back of the store in Jacksonville. We walked to the back and watched the guys making cabinets.  I agree it's a good idea to get references.  They are not on Angie's list.  I actually just signed up a few days ago and do not have any experience with using it...yet.

I don't have any experience with Angie's List either but from the kinds of information the customers are giving it looks as if it will be a very good source of information. They are mentioning things like how prompt the company was, kept to their quote, showed up on time, did great work, etc. I think it is better than throwing a dart at the phone book page! And it is giving me an idea as to who has had experience with my type of project.

good luck with your kitchen. We've been watching a lot of HGTV & do it yourself network shows lately too, inspiring and some OMG too!

Good luck with your home project too! You said Algiers...you're talking about New Orleans?
We also need new flooring in all our bedrooms. It has nasty old carpeting now. We're looking at hardwood or engineered wood. I think we can do that ourselves....but we have 4 bedrooms. We're not in a huge hurry so we can take one room at a time. Maybe one room a month or something, lol. We have thought of just putting wood flooring in the Master bedroom and having a flooring company install new carpeting in the other 3 bedrooms. That would be easiest. But for resell, I am not sure we should put in carpeting in any room. If we were keeping the house, I'd go with wood flooring in all the bedrooms. Also, basically the entire house needs to be painted. We'll do that ourselves. And we are waiting on a contractor's price to take down a wall in the house, if it's not too expensive. So much to do...and with our thoughts on probably selling the house, we don't want to overspend.

21Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 10:14 pm

knothead

knothead

Neko,

If you ever want to check the status of a business in Florida go to:
sunbiz.org for your search.

22Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/9/2013, 10:28 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Thank you, knot. I'll check it out.

23Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/10/2013, 12:31 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Nekochan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Good luck with your home project too!  You said Algiers...you're talking about New Orleans?  
We also need new flooring in all our bedrooms.  It has nasty old carpeting now.  We're looking at hardwood or engineered wood.  I think we can do that ourselves....but we have 4 bedrooms.  We're not in a huge hurry so we can take one room at a time.  Maybe one room a month or something, lol.  We have thought of just putting wood flooring in the Master bedroom and having a flooring company install new carpeting in the other 3 bedrooms. That would be easiest.  But for resell, I am not sure we should put in carpeting in any room.  If we were keeping the house, I'd go with wood flooring in all the bedrooms.   Also, basically the entire house needs to be painted.  We'll do that ourselves.  And we are waiting on a contractor's price to take down a wall in the house, if it's not too expensive.   So much to do...and with our thoughts on probably selling the house, we don't want to overspend.  

Yes, New Orleans. I'm really excited about it, big adventure! As for your re-sale, from what we've been watching on the home improvement networks, it is well worth improving your house like doing the wood floors. It is hard to put money into something you want to sell but it seems to pay off in the long run. You get more for the house than you put into it.

24Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/10/2013, 12:49 am

Nekochan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Good luck with your home project too!  You said Algiers...you're talking about New Orleans?  
We also need new flooring in all our bedrooms.  It has nasty old carpeting now.  We're looking at hardwood or engineered wood.  I think we can do that ourselves....but we have 4 bedrooms.  We're not in a huge hurry so we can take one room at a time.  Maybe one room a month or something, lol.  We have thought of just putting wood flooring in the Master bedroom and having a flooring company install new carpeting in the other 3 bedrooms. That would be easiest.  But for resell, I am not sure we should put in carpeting in any room.  If we were keeping the house, I'd go with wood flooring in all the bedrooms.   Also, basically the entire house needs to be painted.  We'll do that ourselves.  And we are waiting on a contractor's price to take down a wall in the house, if it's not too expensive.   So much to do...and with our thoughts on probably selling the house, we don't want to overspend.  

You can take down that wall yourself,Neko. It's easy to do. Just hit the sheet rock w/ a hammer and take it down and cut the joists out. I did my own wood flooring in my kitchen and living room. It's tedious but easy.

25Kitchen remodel Empty Re: Kitchen remodel 7/10/2013, 6:41 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

You can take down that wall yourself,Neko. It's easy to do. Just hit the sheet rock w/ a hammer and take it down and cut the joists out. I did my own wood flooring in my kitchen and living room. It's tedious but easy.

You have knocked out a wall? We think there's a support beam in the wall we want to knock out. So we're a little cautious about doing it ourselves.

We've put down tile before....that was a huge pain and I don't think we'd want to do a large room of tile again. After we did our one large tile project (a sun room) I had a new appreciation for how much it costs to pay someone to do it. We'll probably re-tile at least one bathroom but at least that isn't a big room. But we've never put down wood floors. The wood floors you put in your house--were they "floating" (no glue) or did you put glue down before you put in the new flooring? We have heard that the floating type is easier to put down.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum