Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome to Amurica 2013 - Rent-to-Own Tires

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Jebus ...

When the tires on their Dodge Caravan had worn so thin that the steel belts were showing through, Don and Florence Cherry couldn’t afford to buy a new set.
So they decided to rent instead.
The Rich Square, N.C., couple last September agreed to pay Rent-N-Roll $54.60 a month for 18 months in exchange for four basic Hankook tires. Over the life of the deal, that works out to $982, almost triple what the radials would have cost at Wal-Mart.
“I know you have to pay a lot more this way,” said Florence Cherry, a 57-year-old nurse who drives the 15-year-old van when her husband, a Vietnam veteran, isn’t using it to get to his job as a prison guard. “But we didn’t really have a choice.”…
Rent-to-own tire shops are among the newest arrivals to a sprawling alternative financial sector focused on the nation’s economic underclass. Like payday lenders, pawn shops and Buy Here Pay Here used-car lots, tire rental businesses provide ready credit to consumers who can’t get a loan anywhere else. But that access doesn’t come cheap.
Customers pay huge premiums for their tires, sometimes four times above retail. Those who miss payments may find their car on cinder blocks, stripped of their tires by dealers who aggressively repossess. Tire rental contracts are so ironclad that even a bankruptcy filing can’t make them go away.
Still, with payments as low as $14 a week, rent-to-own — long the province of sofa sets and flat-screen TVs — is proving irresistible for consumers desperate for safe transportation.
It’s also a booming business for specialized tire and wheel dealers that have become beneficiaries of a struggling U.S. economy. Fast-expanding chains with names like Rent-a-Wheel and EZ Rims 4 Rent that got their start selling high-end rims to car enthusiasts have discovered a lucrative market selling tires on time….
Since 2009, median household income has fallen more than 5%. And in the wake of the recession, the number of households in the country with credit histories too damaged to qualify for most credit cards has risen to 35% from 27% five years ago.
With more people shut out of traditional financing, the rent-to-own industry has flourished. Promising no credit checks, small down payments and the option to return merchandise at any time with no questions asked, chains such as Rent-a-Center are raking in huge profits from a customer base that’s swelled to 4.8 million people, up 67% since 2007, according to the Assn. of Progressive Rental Organizations…

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-rent-a-tire-20130609,0,2490443,full.story

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

See if Chertoff is one of the corporate officers....
Welcome to Amurica 2013 - Rent-to-Own Tires Cherto11Welcome to Amurica 2013 - Rent-to-Own Tires Cherto11

AIN"T USURY GREAT !

There is a place like this in Pensacola on Davis Highway across from Sears.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Welcome to North Cuba.

Sal

Sal

This country has lost its soul.

Money = Virtue

Guns = Power

And, Money + Guns = God

And, the poor are poor because they deserve to be.

Let 'em rent tires.

2seaoat

Stupid figures into this also.......I have purchased used tires for pennies on the dollar at various times in my life, and go through their storage units and pick out a pair of tires with the most tread.   My dump truck has two used tires on it right now after a blow out........there is a huge market of used tires out there, and you may only get 20k miles on a set of used tires, but why would you put tires on a vehicle you cannot afford?  The used tires are less than this rent a tire scheme.

Now T is going to blame the Jew Chertoff for being responsible for people exploiting other people........and he wonders why I render his posts down to their simple essence.....fear and prejudice.   Yep, the Jews are responsible for all economic exploitation in the world, and it has nothing to do with money or power......nope.....those Jews are just smarter than us, and they have to be behind everything.........nope.....I sleep without a night light.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Stupid figures into this also.......I have purchased used tires for pennies on the dollar at various times in my life, and go through their storage units and pick out a pair of tires with the most tread.   My dump truck has two used tires on it right now after a blow out........there is a huge market of used tires out there, and you may only get 20k miles on a set of used tires, but why would you put tires on a vehicle you cannot afford?  The used tires are less than this rent a tire scheme.

Amen.  I used to put used tires on my vehicles too. 
But the last few times I've bought tires the selection and price of used tires was not as good as it used to be.  So I went with new.
I imagine if you look hard you can still find deals on em though.  I'd sure as hell do that before I ever "rented" a tire.

Nekochan

Nekochan

They are both working and they cannot afford tires?  
Seaoat and Bob are right too. Not so much here in the states, but when we lived in Japan we would go to a junk yard and buy tires.  We didn't need 60,000 mile tires and we knew we wouldn't be in Japan that long.  And...used cars in Japan are worth a fraction of what they are here so you could easily, with a used car, spend more on new tires than the car is worth.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum