Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barge explosion on Mobile river.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Barge explosion on Mobile river. Empty Barge explosion on Mobile river. 4/25/2013, 12:35 am

April 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM, updated April 24, 2013 at 11:17 PM
MOBILE, Alabama -- Darrell Anderson was walking to the convenience store downtown this evening when he felt the earth shake and saw the sky light up.
He rushed in the direction of the explosion, the Mobile River, about four blocks away. When he got there, he found a barge on the Mobile River engulfed in flames. He pulled out his cell phone and started filming.

A few minutes later, as rescue boats were surrounding the burning barge, a second explosion shook the riverfront and sent Anderson and the small crowd of bystanders running.

The second explosion didn't sink the barge or the vessels that had come to its aid, but the three to four rescue boats kept their distance until the flames died down, Anderson said.

"I've never seen anything like that before in my life," he said.

Anderson did not have his phone set up to share video, so the footage below is actually a video of his video.

Anybody else catch the barge explosion on video or in a pic? Upload video here and pics here.

Last edited by Hallmarkgrad1 on 4/25/2013, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

It's frightening that this happened so close to the tunnel, Hallmark. I am shocked that Mobile didn't at least shut the tunnel down and check for possible damage.

Your thoughts?

EDIT:
Hubby says I'm mistaken. He says the concussions from the explosions would have gone UP, not down into the water, so there would be no damage to the tunnel.

I knew some guys that worked on it, they were Tile setters.. It is pretty massive. Not Positive but I think it is made from giant metal tubes, floated in place, sunk then secured by welding and setting the joints in concrete. I think it is about 40 feet deep so I would think it would sustain a big jolt. Everyone will be jammed if the tunnel ever goes down.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Carnival Triumph cruise ship was right near it and had to be evacuated again.
That thing must have a voodoo curse on it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum