Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Workplace safety......one OSHA employee for 60,000 employees

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

Watching TV, and they said we have had 3500 approximate terrorists deaths since 911, and 60,000 workplace deaths......hundreds of thousands of people dying by gun........and we argue politics......but has the pendulum swung too far. Has this whole debate of less government being good found some statistical exceptions. I always believed the same....and I have never been a fan of OSHA.......but the plant which exploded did not get an inspection since the 1980s. 1985........It would take 98 years for OSHA inspectors to visit each of Texas's work sites......this is stunning to me.

There is no amount of govt that will make you feel safe... I'm sorry for you.

2seaoat

There is no amount of govt that will make you feel safe... I'm sorry for you.

I have had to pick fingers out of a press......please do not tell me about workplace safety......I have seen a roof collapse, and thankfully the folks where able to hide under their machines, and a business partner had a 25k fine for a death in his plant......and he to this day hates OSHA, but he said they were right, and if they had inspected before the ladder accident, he would have known his ladder was in violation of the laws.......so yea......I think we have gone too far with this nonsense that doing nothing is better than doing something intelligent and wise........I am really tired of Stupid finding cover under an umbrella of personal freedom.......the pendulum needs to find the middle again.

Did you see that accidents are forth or fifth highest incident of death? You must be dense... I misjudged you.

Here's an amusing idea... we didn't learn from mistakes during our history? We considered them all random events? We carried on dispte the odds? I thght you professed to have been a conservative or a republican? No common sense in that history?

You are not the epitome of our species... I don't even find you particularly observant.

2seaoat

I don't even find you particularly observant.

You are right about that.....if I was observant, I would realize your arguments are fallow......I however, give cursory credence and respect.....where better observation would allow me to distinguish nonsense from lucid argument.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I am really tired of Stupid finding cover under an umbrella of personal freedom

That's one of the best descriptions of libertarianism I've ever read.

I hope you don't mind if I borrow it from time to time.

2seaoat wrote:I don't even find you particularly observant.

You are right about that.....if I was observant, I would realize your arguments are fallow......I however, give cursory credence and respect.....where better observation would allow me to distinguish nonsense from lucid argument.

Pffft... You can call my observance fallow or nonsense. You fail to realize that your argument is cursory... how do you propose exactly that we prohibit the criminal or insane from harming us? Those that are of the smallest percentage will dictate your and my freedom? Really? That's ur idea of freedom? Lost in space might be short sighted

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/opinion/industrial-accidents-and-acts-of-terrorism.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:There is no amount of govt that will make you feel safe... I'm sorry for you.

How characteristically obtuse. If the government did its job of representing the people instead of bowing to big business lobbyists and campaign cash, then the government...at all levels, not just federal, is performing its correct function in a democratic republic.

Instead, we have the "Koch brothers bill":

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/how-chemical-lobby%E2%80%99s-friends-congress-fought-keep-regulators-its-back?utm_source=feedly

The intent of OSHA was worthy of enactment. The usual glut of government involvement then ensued. Try reading even part of OSHA regs and then go throw up somewhere. Even if they had enough "inspectors" it is highly unlikely there would be consistent application of regulations due to the vagaries of some of the language and lack of regulation comprehension by the inspectors themselves. The biggest problem with OSHA now is that they come down on business with a 500lb sledgehammer only when something bad happens. Until then self-regulation is the order of the day for most industries.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=STANDARDS&p_toc_level=0&p_keyvalue=

PkrBum wrote:There is no amount of govt that will make you feel safe... I'm sorry for you.

Like on ladders where it's labeled....This is not a step...But sure there is someone that's been injured and won money over being an idiot...

Workplace safety......one OSHA employee for 60,000 employees Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwzv7lsGKsDrSK_FqmrCKbURha82lUI88ohtUWagVtjX9TKloxTg

Oh I'm sure there's some point where he'd be satisfied...

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8PLsHxJm9Y

Shocked

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

nochain wrote:The intent of OSHA was worthy of enactment. The usual glut of government involvement then ensued. Try reading even part of OSHA regs and then go throw up somewhere. Even if they had enough "inspectors" it is highly unlikely there would be consistent application of regulations due to the vagaries of some of the language and lack of regulation comprehension by the inspectors themselves. The biggest problem with OSHA now is that they come down on business with a 500lb sledgehammer only when something bad happens. Until then self-regulation is the order of the day for most industries.http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=STANDARDS&p_toc_level=0&p_keyvalue=

No, they hire consultants to help them with the regulations. I once worked for a firm that specialized in environmental and safety compliance. Our clients were from both government and industry. They would hire us to help them with their permitting and reporting requirements.

When the dust settle on the Texas explosion, it will be interesting to see what caused it and how it happened. Was it due to an oversight or lack of compliance in the storage and handling of an OSHA-regulated Toxic and Hazardous Substance as outlined in 29 CFR Part 1910, or was the company fully in compliance-with just a freak accident occuring?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum