Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kentucky Loses First Round NIT Last Night - Lands #1 Recruiting Class of ALL TIME today

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Wow!

My head is spinning.

#1 Point Guard – Andrew Harrison
#1 Shooting Guard – Aaron Harrison
#1 Power Forward – Julius Randle
#1 Center – Dakari Johnson
#3 Small Forward – James Young
#9 Power Forward – Marcus Lee
#41 Power Forward – Derek Willis

And, still in the running for #1 Small Forward - Andrew Wiggins.

In addition, Alex Poythress, Archie Goodwin, and Willie Cauley-Stein all said after the game last night that they were NOT ready for the NBA.

From first-round NIT flameout, to possible preseason #1 next season in less than 24 hours.

It's a brave new world in college basketball.

knothead

knothead

Sal, I thought about you last night while watching the BIG game . . . . . I don't know how you felt but I was proud for the victors . . . . . a game they can always be proud of and a memory of a lifetime. Thanks for listing the next year recruits, I hope they come to fruition . . . . . . it is a wild wild world to go from National Champs to a first round loss in the NIT to a top ranked team to follow, my head is spinning too. Maybe next year will be WON and Done!

I would say that the Wildcats' hearts were not really into the game last night. In a way it is understandable going from National Champs, to getting left out of the Big Dance, I not sure I would be able to motivate a team like Kentucky to give 100% to an NIT game.

knothead

knothead

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I would say that the Wildcats' hearts were not really into the game last night. In a way it is understandable going from National Champs, to getting left out of the Big Dance, I not sure I would be able to motivate a team like Kentucky to give 100% to an NIT game.

I agree GR, in the land of the Big Blue Nation, playing in the NIT is akin to asking Lady Gaga to do a gig at the Florabama! They were totally bummed but they were not worth a crap as a team this year. Life goes on . . . . . Thanks GR

knothead wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I would say that the Wildcats' hearts were not really into the game last night. In a way it is understandable going from National Champs, to getting left out of the Big Dance, I not sure I would be able to motivate a team like Kentucky to give 100% to an NIT game.

I agree GR, in the land of the Big Blue Nation, playing in the NIT is akin to asking Lady Gaga to do a gig at the Florabama! They were totally bummed but they were not worth a crap as a team this year. Life goes on . . . . . Thanks GR

knothead wrote:

No problem sir. I have never been really a Kentucky fan, but I have always been a big fan of John Calipari. In my book he ranks right up there with Coach K at Duke and I do like me some Blue Devils. Calipari actually has a better winning percentage(.765) than Coach K(.763).

2seaoat

I know this may sound a little silly......but you can destroy a team by getting all the best players. There is no automatic meld.....there is no automatic chemistry......and if you have ever had to coach a talented prima donna in basketball......there is only one thing worse.....two of them.

I am not so certain that Anthony Davis was a fluke for KY last year, and winning that national championship will really set this program back......we will see next year, but I am a firm believer having some grinders who may not have the raw talent levels, but have three years of game experience, and who have worked into a team is much better than this goofy NBA springboard KY has created and in my opinion simply lucked out with the best player in the nation last year.

2seaoat wrote:I know this may sound a little silly......but you can destroy a team by getting all the best players. There is no automatic meld.....there is no automatic chemistry......and if you have ever had to coach a talented prima donna in basketball......there is only one thing worse.....two of them.

I am not so certain that Anthony Davis was a fluke for KY last year, and winning that national championship will really set this program back......we will see next year, but I am a firm believer having some grinders who may not have the raw talent levels, but have three years of game experience, and who have worked into a team is much better than this goofy NBA springboard KY has created and in my opinion simply lucked out with the best player in the nation last year.

If anyone can meld a few prima donnas into a cohesive unit called a TEAM, that would be John Calipari.

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 3/20/2013, 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

KarlRove

KarlRove

Sal wrote:

It's a brave new world in college basketball.[/font]

Sometimes, reading about the press about you and believing it can be the worst thing for these young men.

Be preseason #1 next year? Nope, not after bowing out of the NIT like they don't care. The coach might need to CUT some of the folks not putting forth an effort and set an example to everyone still on the team.

KarlRove wrote:
Sal wrote:

Sometimes, reading about the press about you and believing it can be the worst thing for these young men.

Be preseason #1 next year? Nope, not after bowing out of the NIT like they don't care. The coach might need to CUT some of the folks not putting forth an effort and set an example to everyone still on the team.

Karl you have to admit that a solid recruiting class helps with the preseason polls regardless of where they finished the prior season. Just look at this year. Indiana was not even mentioned last year, but started the season as the preseasons #1 and remained there through most of the year.

I like the idea that the National Champ should be the preseason #1 until someone knocks them off their throne. I like that same idea for college football also.

KarlRove

KarlRove

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
KarlRove wrote:
Sal wrote:

Karl you have to admit that a solid recruiting class helps with the preseason polls regardless of where they finished the prior season. Just look at this year. Indiana was not even mentioned last year, but started the season as the preseasons #1 and remained there through most of the year.

I like the idea that the National Champ should be the preseason #1 until someone knocks them off their throne. I like that same idea for college football also.

Sure it helps, but ratings are not always 100%. Kentucky verifies that this year. Cal has some coaching up of kids to do and I don't think that a guaranteed #1 is a prerequisite because of the FLOP this season. L.ooks like lots of his highly ranked class were getting SCHOOLED more often than not when playing others of the same ability.

knothead

knothead

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
knothead wrote:

No problem sir. I have never been really a Kentucky fan, but I have always been a big fan of John Calipari. In my book he ranks right up there with Coach K at Duke and I do like me some Blue Devils. Calipari actually has a better winning percentage(.765) than Coach K(.763).

I too have admiration for Coach K as well . . . . . . he knows how to recruit players who will play the four years and bond hence learning to be a cohesive unit . . . . . . a real team. For Calipari, my fear is that we will ride high in the saddle next year, lose our best players to the NBA and start all over again in hopes on another stupendous recruiting year (which Calipari excels at).

On a personal level, I will share a story that is relevant and hopefully interesting to you. The President of UK is a close personal friend of mine as we are from the same small town . . . . . he recently retired but when I asked him about the hiring of Calipari, he told me they met in Chicago at a hotel to spend a couple days together. Calipari told Lee that "Dr. Todd if you bring me to UK I assure you that with the reputation/history of UK, I can recruit 60-70% of the best players in the nation every year!" The rest is history now of course. I have mixed feelings about Calipari's strategy but he firmly believes he has an obligation to each player to lay a path to the NBA and encourages them to grab the gold ring when they can.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:I know this may sound a little silly......but you can destroy a team by getting all the best players. There is no automatic meld.....there is no automatic chemistry......and if you have ever had to coach a talented prima donna in basketball......there is only one thing worse.....two of them.

Mr. Oats, I agree with much of what you say except you have a complete misunderstanding about the team of last year who won the Big Dance. Anthony Davis was the phenom on defense essentially and broke the conference record on number of blocks but the offense was very balanced with six players averaging in double figures which is a tribute to this group operating completely as a team and unselfish. It was a very special convergence of six extremely talented guys playing together and 5 were drafted into the NBA and in that sense it was a springboard shared by all.

Sal

Sal

You're right.

It does sound silly.

And, given Cal's record of success, it's not only silly, but outright absurd.

Remember please that during his short 4 year tenure at Kentucky, he has amassed an Elite Eight, a Final Four, and a National Championship.

Add to that, he was mere seconds away from another National Championship when he was coaching at Memphis of all places.

I understand that you don't like how he's getting it done, and I understand why you don't like how he's getting it done.

But don't pretend he's not getting it done.

It just makes you look stupid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum