Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yellardawg...........Going to march today?

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

People are tired of the status quo Hallmark. People are tired of the "we can't do it here unless someone from here thought of the idea" mentality. Studer has done one thing I have not seen anyone do in my time here as a kid or as an adult and that is stand up to the OLE PENSACOLA MONEY CROWD. I say it's about time. With your thinking and Charles Fairchild's thinking, we'd still have weeds and transients in the weeds where the ball park is located. Nobody had a vision or a clue as to what to do with that land. Someone finally had a vision and a drive to make things happen there and it pisses off people who didn't have the idea first. We need about 10 more Studers to run off what is left of the OLE PENSACOLA MONEY CROWD and turn Escambia County around and out of the doldrums and "Life in the 50s".

2seaoat

Amen

This is personal between Hallmark and Studer......the community however needs every positive step......and the new Y is a positive step, and the fact that five million can help this become a reality......a simple thank you would usually suffice.......but the man gets attacked for anything he does.....it defies rationality.

@ Pacedog Were you even born in the 50s? Have you ever lived in the city of Pensacola? Just wondering how you became so knowledgeable about the city.

You guys really dont know, do you? In the late 50, early 60s the Naval air work faculty was going well, employing thousands. Subdivisions such as Edgewater, Lakeview, Navy Point, Star lake,with hundreds of new homes were being built. Chemstrand (Monsandto) had a huge draw twist nylon production operation employing many 100s of people, mostly women. The paper Mill had just put in a new machine was in full operation. The port was busy. Wies Fricker had the 2nd largest Mahogany saw mill in the US. We were the Red Snapper capital of the US. We had a large and highly productive fishing industry. We had local shrimp boats fishing the bay and sold thier catch locally. We had a drag strip and 5 flags circle track. Plus the unspoiled beauty of the beaches. Doctor DeBuss and Dr White started the Medical Center. New port/Armstrong cork was processing 1000s of tree stumps and making millions of square feet of acoustical tile.

Now people think a YMCA of a spit of Bay front is a big deal.

Looks like I took unfair advantage by bringing up the real facts about Pensacola. Lets get back on topic. This from Xochili in the Pensacola digest.
Long read but hang in there,

Xochitl says:
Mar 11, 2013

Let’s state some obvious FACTS:

1. We, the residents of Pensacola, (used to) own a piece of property.
2. The property was 30 acres in size.
3. The property was in a downtown location.
4. There were approximately 3,500 LINEAR FEET of waterfront surrounding the property. The view from the property was spectacular. The possibilities for boating related activities were numerous.
5. The undeveloped appraised value of the property was approximately $18 million.
6. In addition to the $18 million value of the land, our city council was more than willing to invest another $100 million of OUR money in principal, interest, and hidden funds.

Given the above FACTS, it would take an imbecile (or a thief) to NOT make money on this property. We could have given the resources listed above to any one of the winos living on the property and they would have been able to turn a profit. And it sure would have been nice for the city to have some additional funds. Think of all the things that we could have done with the money. Improvements for neighborhoods, better public service, etc., etc.

Unfortunately, the citizens of Pensacola are now going to LOSE $3 MILLION each and every year for the next 40 years. The sheer magnitude of that disaster is astounding! But the same people who dealt us that marvelous hand are now making the same ridiculous arguments such as the following.

a. “Gee, no one else wants waterfront property so let’s just use it for a _______________ (fill in the blank – baseball stadium, YMCA, or any other play-toy desired by the millionaire).”
b. “Sure, we are going to lose $3 million per year, but if we lease it to the Y we are only going to lose $2.9 million per year.” Such a bargain!!!
c. “This is going to bring in jobs!” How? Employees of the Y are moving from one downtown building to another downtown building.
d. Joe Vinson argues “But a Y would be far more inclusive to the general public than condos.” Oh, really? This is one of the more ridiculous arguments since it ignores the fact that the Y is a PRIVATE CLUB. If we really wanted a public health facility why not build a public recreation center like the one at Roger Scott? I personally cannot afford $40 per month to be a member of the Y, and I KNOW that the only people living west of city hall who will ever visit the Y will do so after hours and with a mop in their hands! I’m sorry, Joe, but the Y is the exact opposite of “inclusive.” Do you know what the “C” stands for in YMCA? Do you think that Jewish people are comfortable belonging to a club that holds Bible classes? Come on, get real!
e. “Building the non-taxpaying Y on that waterfront site is a great idea financially because it pays rent while the museum project would not have paid rent.” HUH? What you are telling us is that this idea is stupid but the last idea was even more stupid! So let’s do the least stupid idea? BTW, the museum was NEVER going to happen, in spite of the propaganda that was thrown out by the public relation media.

So, if you like the results that you got from the previous scam go right ahead and give the next waterfront property to the same people who delivered that schlitz sandwich. One thing is for sure. Those who profited from the last gravy train are going to be pushing hard for more of the same. That includes those who are being paid by “The Friends of the Y” to market this monster. BTW, can anyone tell us the total members of the PAC known as “Friends of the Y”? If it is the same as the membership known as “Friends of the CMP”, that number is “1”.

Xochitl says:
Mar 11, 2013

Joe Vinson, are you SERIOUSLY trying to use Carlton Proctor as an “authority”? Carlton Proctor will write whatever Kevin Doyle tells him to write. I personally have saved many of Proctor’s more outlandish articles including one in 2006 where he stated that 6 new condo projects “would be build in downtown Pensacola because the CMP was being built”. Where are those condo projects, Joe?

Do you SERIOUSLY believe Carlton Proctor when he states that developers will not build on waterfront property unless they are 100% exempt from property taxes? Do you think that all those waterfront buildings on Perdido Key are exempt from property taxes? That’s the argument that you are trying to feed us. It is the same argument that Quint Studer gave to the city council and they swallowed it! Not only does he not have to pay property taxes on his baseball stadium, we had to actually dig into our pockets and build the stadium for him! Why? Because, according to Studer, no one wants waterfront property! He is doing us a BIG FAVOR by taking it off our hands!

Listen, Quint Studer OWNS every media outlet in this town. He owns the Studerville News Journal where he buys $10,000 full-page ads almost every weekend. He owns the Not-So-Independent News. He owns every single advertising agency in this town. EVERY one! You are ALL beholden to his money. Quint Studer OWNS the CMPA which is occupied by his hand picked puppets and run by his bosom buddy Collier Merrill. Quint Studer OWNS the majority of the Pensacola City Council whose members have long been “in his pocket”. At least two of the city council members have personally profited from his baseball stadium scam, and one member CONTINUES to make money from Studer’s projects. Is there a conflict of interest here? If so, why isn’t this reported by our watchdog newspapers? Could it be that they would lose a major advertiser if they ruffled certain feathers?

As I sit back and listen to you media-mouths trying to sell the unsellable, it appears that this time around most people can see through the lies. That doesn’t mean that our city council won’t give in to the tremendous pressure that Studer is exerting on them. Let’s hope that they are all held accountable on election day.

2seaoat

Mr X was always a long read on the PNJ.....he almost matched my Seaotian responses.....but the fact is that he talked 50k attendance......he laughed at me and ridiculed me when I said they would get a minor league team in the park.....he and skip wrote these long responses how that was impossible....it would never happen. So when it happened, did he say....hey this is great....nope....he argued in black and white that the park would never exceed the Pelicans attendance and the park would be lucky if 50-60k attended. I argued he was insane and gave examples of the Kane County Cougars......Mr. X called me an employee of Studer......what the hell does Studer have to do with a minor league team and the success of the same which I had seen?

Nope, his numbers are skewed and slanted. I could tear every line of his letter up.....I have on the PNJ, but the bottom line is the ball park is here, the Y is here, and more good things are coming. The citizens of Pensacola own the waterfront, and great great grandchildren will be glad the mayor, the council and concerned citizens saved this valuable property from becoming condo city.....nope it is a great park and you and X were simply wrong then, and you are wrong now. This is what I miss....your steadfast concern for Pensacola is genuine and sincere, your just wrong on this one, and I am right......I know......you will never see it that way.....but I hope I live long enough where some day you will admit the same.

You go back to the 50 k that I had nothing to do with. You refuse to refute anything I say. Just more of I am right and you are wrong. This is boring. I stated there would be almost no use of the stadium in the off season. I was correct. I stated that what we have now is nothing like what was promised. I was correct. Now they admit that no one is interested in building at the CMPA even thought we were told it was a "Slam Drunk". Still no one can produce a plan or a feasibility study for the CMPA. So they lease it to a half ass organization that has abandoned 1/2 of Escambia co to pursue a "World Class" Venue.

My Grandkids will spit on my Grave for not doing more to save the Beaches and not stopping this down town piece of shit.

2seaoat

My Grandkids will spit on my Grave for not doing more to save the Beaches and not stopping this down town piece of shit.

Probably, but that is because some of them have probably became cub fans, and you allowed a Cincinnati farm team to come to Pensacola.....you bet they will spit.....now you have Yankee heathen Cub fans.....what do you expect?

In regard to the beaches......where do you keep your cape......you have been hiding those super powers.....cause there is not much that was going to change what happened on the beach.....greed and avarice are no match for an honest citizen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum