Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

McGuires 5k

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1McGuires 5k Empty McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 11:49 am

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

For the locals. How'd y'all do? I did in 34 and a half minutes. It was a good run. There was a guy out there who must have been a stroke victim. He was only using half his body in his wheel chair. He was truly an inspiration.

2McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 12:30 pm

I've run it once. It was too crowded then for the course run. It's impossible to practice the run because of the set up and traffic flow. I'm not a fan of running fast and then drinking alcohol afterwards. It makes no sense. I hate the idea of a "prediction run" when you can't get a decent pace going because the course is wall to wall humanity.

3McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 12:36 pm

2seaoat

I was a sprinter......I never understood running distance......it was the most boring thing I ever did.....so I didn't.........and if I tried to run 5k now......I would be the stroke victim. Some of the folks I have watched do a 5k barely walk the race......so drinking is appropriate. drunken drunken drunken

4McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 12:48 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

My daughter did the double bridge run last year...waited too long to get a spot this year. Not my cup of tea at all. SHOES are important!

5McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 12:54 pm

2seaoat wrote:I was a sprinter......I never understood running distance......it was the most boring thing I ever did.....so I didn't.........and if I tried to run 5k now......I would be the stroke victim. Some of the folks I have watched do a 5k barely walk the race......so drinking is appropriate. drunken drunken drunken

I was the same... but I could chase a ball all day. I think it's a touch of labrador or something.

6McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 1:09 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I was a sprinter......I never understood running distance......it was the most boring thing I ever did.....so I didn't.........and if I tried to run 5k now......I would be the stroke victim. Some of the folks I have watched do a 5k barely walk the race......so drinking is appropriate. drunken drunken drunken

I was the same... but I could chase a ball all day. I think it's a touch of labrador or something.

Labralemming.

7McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 1:42 pm

I did a charity walk this past weekend and yes we drank after. Some people ran it, most of us didnt. It was fun.

I know quite a few people who do that mcquires run every week I think. They like to run and enjoy the social after.

However, Im not sure which charity if any the proceeds go to.

8McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 3:27 pm

I did both in HS, but had I a real track coach and not a football coach supplementing his income with a track stipend, I should have been funneled into distance. I could never break 21.5 in the 220 yard dash and never better than 10.5 or 10.6 in the hundred yard dash. I once ran an 880 just for fun and to get the team some points in 1:57 and you'd have thought the coach would have taken a clue. I hated distance running in the Corps, but learned to love it in my coaching days myself. Qualified for the Boston Marathon in the Open Division back in 1998 at the BA Marathon. I was just getting to know training and my body for that long haul. Did a lot of 5k and 10k runs. Ran a half marathon over in Daphne at a 1hour 24 minute pace in 1997. Once I ran that run in Warrington in May right behind Everett Whiteside, he paced me through 4:45 first mile along with some of his runners from Washington. I think my potential was really distance and not sprints, but again, football coaches aren't that good of a judge of talent in running sometimes.

9McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 3:31 pm

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

Chrissy wrote:I did a charity walk this past weekend and yes we drank after. Some people ran it, most of us didnt. It was fun.

I know quite a few people who do that mcquires run every week I think. They like to run and enjoy the social after.

The proceeds benefited the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund, The Pensacola Police Department and the Boy Scouts of America Troop 104.

10McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 3:42 pm

Captn Kaoz wrote:
Chrissy wrote:I did a charity walk this past weekend and yes we drank after. Some people ran it, most of us didnt. It was fun.

The proceeds benefited the Injured Marines Semper Fi Fund, The Pensacola Police Department and the Boy Scouts of America Troop 104.

I think the other two charities are great. but im a little puzzled at why a charity run for a government entity?

11McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 3:44 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I walked from the parking lot to the bar in under 4 minutes.

12McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 3:59 pm

2seaoat

I walked from the parking lot to the bar in under 4 minutes.

A record which may stand for years........

10.5 in the hundred yards is a good time. Pace is fast. That is a good time for a high school kid. Jessie Owens only did a 11.0 in high school, but you can see how times have improved over the last century.

http://uil100.org/archives/athletics/track-field-event-time.php?event==100+Yard+Dash&boys_girls=Boys

I consistently was in the high 10s, but I do not think I ever ran a 10.5.....that is smoking......10.8 probably as fast as I ever went, and nobody was close to me at the time.....but today.....wouldn't get past a sectional, and probably have four people on the team faster.

13McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 4:47 pm

I ran a ten flat hundred yards... but that's only mid elevens in the 100 meters I was told. That barely makes the relay team today. My oldest daughter would have probably beaten me. The two fastest guys at my hs ran low 9s.

14McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 5:00 pm

2seaoat

I am impressed.....10 flat on the 100 is smoking.........at 6'3.5" I was big and fast, but 10 second 100.....for my time.....1970 that was smoking and nobody was doing those type of times. I had 1700 in my high school and nobody came close to that time in track........if you look at how incredible the leaps have been in times in the last 40 years......it is remarkable. You are correct, my daughter went down state three of her four years and was usually the only white girl in the finals as some of these girls would blow away any of my classmates in track, and my daughter ended up high jumping higher than I did in high school at 5' 4" but we were going into sand and using a shoulder roll.......yea thats my story and I am sticking to it......she ran like a deer, but everything now is the 100 meter and I do not know what her times would convert to......she ended up being a two sport division one athlete, volleyball and track, and was captain of her track team, but she had girls just blow her away in both volleyball and track at that level.......she was a big fish in a small pond in high school, and when you get to division 1, you see some unbelievable speed and power among the girls.

15McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 5:43 pm

I just love track and field after watching my daughter in hs... and wish I had done it. The coach tried to get me out... but after a few days I went back to baseball. I think if I'd ever been in a meet I would've realized how fun it really is. Your daughter sounds like mine... a good all around athlete. She's switched to the heptathlon this year... I can't wait for the outdoor season to start. I get more excited watching her than I ever did competing myself.

16McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 7:01 pm

Bob wrote:I walked from the parking lot to the bar in under 4 minutes.

LOL, Right on bob. Good job! everyone needs motivation. cheers

I gave you a + for that one. tongue

17McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 7:17 pm

2seaoat wrote:I walked from the parking lot to the bar in under 4 minutes.

A record which may stand for years........

10.5 in the hundred yards is a good time. Pace is fast. That is a good time for a high school kid. Jessie Owens only did a 11.0 in high school, but you can see how times have improved over the last century.

http://uil100.org/archives/athletics/track-field-event-time.php?event==100+Yard+Dash&boys_girls=Boys

I consistently was in the high 10s, but I do not think I ever ran a 10.5.....that is smoking......10.8 probably as fast as I ever went, and nobody was close to me at the time.....but today.....wouldn't get past a sectional, and probably have four people on the team faster.

As a freshman at PF back in the day, we had a guy named Harry Edwards who ran 9.3-9.6 consistently.

18McGuires 5k Empty Re: McGuires 5k 3/11/2013, 7:29 pm

2seaoat

I get more excited watching her than I ever did competing myself.

Totally agree. I had bleacher butt because I never missed my kids activities and got really excited when my son pole vaulted 15 feet as a sophomore and helped bring a 3rd place trophy for his high school team at state. I played in basketball and softball leagues until I was in my early 50s,but the knees just began to ache for a couple days and I was losing stability on the right knee without a brace.......so now my only competition is poker.....I love the game. Just took 6th in a 100 person tournament and made $750 but I would have paid them to compete......I like to compete.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum