Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stop Changing Your Oil So Frequently

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html?mktcat=maintenance-article&kw=stop+changing+your+oil&mktid=ob61762858&msite=w

This article says we don't need to change the oil of a modern car every 3,000 miles. That recommendation from Jiffy Lube or your general service person is just a ploy to keep you bringing your car in for service. Most cars can now go for several thousand miles between oil changes. By changing your oil every 3,000 miles, you are wasting your money and contributing waste oil pollution that must be treated or recycled.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

I remember my grandfather telling me this in the sixties and he was a geologist working in the oil industry. There was plenty of data collected during wwii while trying to conserve resources. Filtering is more important to prevent breakdown.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html?mktcat=maintenance-article&kw=stop+changing+your+oil&mktid=ob61762858&msite=w

This article says we don't need to change the oil of a modern car every 3,000 miles. That recommendation from Jiffy Lube or your general service person is just a ploy to keep you bringing your car in for service. Most cars can now go for several thousand miles between oil changes. By changing your oil every 3,000 miles, you are wasting your money and contributing waste oil pollution that must be treated or recycled.

I have not been changing the oil in my cars every 3000 miles for some years now. I now change every 6000-7000 miles. I I buy Amsoil oil and filters I go well over a year without changing and still the oil is as clear as the day I changed it. My auto manuals recommend every 8000 miles.

2seaoat

Jiffy lube now allows you to put in the mileage you want to next change your oil. The problem with the Prius is that it strictly demands that you change the oil around 3k. It puts a big display saying the same. So my Jiffy lube sticker says 5k, and I have less than a month since the last oil change, but the Prius is having a fit because it is time to change the oil. The Taxi fleets in Canada have been getting 400k miles on Prius taxi cabs and I guess routine maintenance is important, but these new synthetic oils can easily go 5-7k miles without a hitch. I am ignoring the Prius display and I am going to drive until 5k and have them reset it with the new oil change. I checked the oil yesterday and it looks like it just got poured out of the bottle, yet when I check the equinox with only 140k, a week after an oil change it is dark black.

2seaoat wrote:Jiffy lube now allows you to put in the mileage you want to next change your oil. The problem with the Prius is that it strictly demands that you change the oil around 3k. It puts a big display saying the same. So my Jiffy lube sticker says 5k, and I have less than a month since the last oil change, but the Prius is having a fit because it is time to change the oil. The Taxi fleets in Canada have been getting 400k miles on Prius taxi cabs and I guess routine maintenance is important, but these new synthetic oils can easily go 5-7k miles without a hitch. I am ignoring the Prius display and I am going to drive until 5k and have them reset it with the new oil change. I checked the oil yesterday and it looks like it just got poured out of the bottle, yet when I check the equinox with only 140k, a week after an oil change it is dark black.

You can reset that alert without changing the oil. My wife's Toyota does the same thing. All I have to do is put the key in the ignition, turn the ignition on without starting the engine, push and hold the trip odometer switch, turn off the ignition and viola, the alert is good for another 3000 miles.

Here is a how to you tube video for the Toyota Prius.

2seaoat

Here is a how to you tube video for the Toyota Prius.

Thanks.....you saved me a trip to going to the dreaded manual, and it worked perfectly the first time. I think I want to go on a 6k mile interval, and I will simply do this once after an oil change and the second time it should line up with the Jiffy Lube sticker.

I enjoy this forum, and wish we could get all our old members participating fully because it is just this kind of help that makes this place special......we can argue the rest of the week, but people are looking out for each other.....a big thank you.

2seaoat wrote:Here is a how to you tube video for the Toyota Prius.

Thanks.....you saved me a trip to going to the dreaded manual, and it worked perfectly the first time. I think I want to go on a 6k mile interval, and I will simply do this once after an oil change and the second time it should line up with the Jiffy Lube sticker.

I enjoy this forum, and wish we could get all our old members participating fully because it is just this kind of help that makes this place special......we can argue the rest of the week, but people are looking out for each other.....a big thank you.

Not a problem sir. My wife's car is a Toyota Camry and a youtube video showed me how to reset hers.

2seaoat

One caveat for Prius owners......make sure you hit the button on KM/miles speedometer conversion......I thought I was going almost 60 in a 40 after I cleared the oil maintenance light......but I knew something was wrong because everybody was passing me.......duh....kilometers.

Most all new cars have a message board that will alert you when it is time for an oil change. Milage differs on most cars and it depends on the oil as well. The best way to find out is to ask a reliable mechanic and review the different types of oil that is available now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum