Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is the Pensacola News Journal dying?

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

What do you think? Do you for see the PNJ closing it's doors in the next few years due to lack of subscribers?

Out of the 30 houses on my street, only two that I know of still take the paper, the rest have cancelled their subscriptions.

The PNJ outsourced it's printing to Mobile, (again, Mobile never seems to have the problem with unemployment and no jobs like Pensacola...but that's another topic.)

From what I have been told, and correct me if I am wrong, to get the full benefit of the PNJ.com site you have to have a paid subscription.

So, are they on the way out?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think the eventual outcome for a great many daily newspapers like the PNJ is a much scaled down online only presence that has no "subscription fee" and is paid for with advertising like most all other news websites.
I don't think either the print editions or the subscription websites can survive over the long run.
The daily newspapers will then be just another provider of news content and will no longer have the dominance they had for hundreds of years.
Changes in technology make that inevitable whether anybody likes it or not.

I think it's closest to slow suicide... the opportunity was to adapt. Instead they tried to maintain an academic exercise.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:I think it's closest to slow suicide... the opportunity was to adapt. Instead they tried to maintain an academic exercise.

I don't think it matters what they have done or what they might have done or what they will do.
In other words, there was no way to "adapt" the horse and buggy to the automobile age and there's no way to adapt this either. It will evolve into a niche just like the horse and buggy.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way, I see the same future for movie theaters.

I disagree... a local paper could have formed itself into an interactive service to the community. A collaboration that could spread news instantly that people right in town could benefit from. Think of all the things an app could do if you selected things you want notifications for and a way for you to provide feedback... crimes, traffic, sales, politics, concerts, weather... That would make a news company an integral part of a community.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:I disagree... a local paper could have formed itself into an interactive service to the community. A collaboration that could spread news instantly that people right in town could benefit from. Think of all the things an app could do if you selected things you want notifications for and a way for you to provide feedback... crimes, traffic, sales, politics, concerts, weather... That would make a news company an integral part of a community.

Sounds good on paper (no pun intended). If there's a demand for that someone may attempt to fill it. And if that attempt is successful I applaud it.
That's the thing about the technology. It no longer relies on the mindset found at daily newspapers to innovate. The door is now open to a lot more innovators because that innovation no longer requires the large capital investment the old communications technology (newspapering) required.

PkrBum wrote:I disagree... a local paper could have formed itself into an interactive service to the community. A collaboration that could spread news instantly that people right in town could benefit from. Think of all the things an app could do if you selected things you want notifications for and a way for you to provide feedback... crimes, traffic, sales, politics, concerts, weather... That would make a news company an integral part of a community.

You are right! Think of the possibilities!! People could place bets on where the next shooting is going to be and when the results are in, get them instantly!

OK...I am being a smart-ass here, but seriously, your idea does have valid talking points.

knothead

knothead

I think Bob is closest in prognostication in that it, like most print forms of old, are succumbing to its inevitable demise. Not because of its content but because of advances of technology and changes in the method of how we receive our news, local or national. In my own case I have in my own bookmarks probably as many as fifteen or so newspapers around the nation that I enjoy reading to get more of a sense of how other parts of the country view national issues.

On my own street I would say at least 70-75% of my neighbors get the pnj. I subscribe for weekends only but I still like actually reading a paper in lieu of sitting at my computer to read the local issues . . . . . but I do both because I enjoy reading I suppose.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote: I do both

We're now in a transition period. Just like the one seen in this photo.
Notice there are BOTH horses/buggies AND the newer forms of transportation on the street at the same time (not only the streetcar but the wheel of an automobile can be seen at the far right).

Is the Pensacola News Journal dying? The_last_of_the_Horse_Drawn_Carriages

But if we fast forward a decade or so and take a photo of the same location... well you get it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I too "did both" for two months. Until a few weeks ago.
The reason I "did both" again was because I discovered a $10.95 monthly subscription rate for the PNJ from an online discounter which gave me all 7 days print edition and subscription to the website.

BUT, when they later told me that was only a "free trial" and then doubled the fee, I no longer "do both".
As with most everything, follow the money. And when you follow the money you'll find that I'm far from being the only one who will no longer pay the price for "the old" now that there are plenty of "the new" alternatives which get us the news for free.

Like this photo? Can you spot the changes?

Is the Pensacola News Journal dying? Downto10

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:
knothead wrote: I do both

We're now in a transition period. Just like the one seen in this photo.
Notice there are BOTH horses/buggies AND the newer forms of transportation on the street at the same time (not only the streetcar but the wheel of an automobile can be seen at the far right).

Is the Pensacola News Journal dying? The_last_of_the_Horse_Drawn_Carriages

But if we fast forward a decade or so and take a photo of the same location... well you get it.

Perfect example and a great analogy Bob! A picture is worth a thousand words . . . . . thanks!

knothead wrote:I think Bob is closest in prognostication in that it, like most print forms of old, are succumbing to its inevitable demise. Not because of its content but because of advances of technology and changes in the method of how we receive our news, local or national. In my own case I have in my own bookmarks probably as many as fifteen or so newspapers around the nation that I enjoy reading to get more of a sense of how other parts of the country view national issues.

On my own street I would say at least 70-75% of my neighbors get the pnj. I subscribe for weekends only but I still like actually reading a paper in lieu of sitting at my computer to read the local issues . . . . . but I do both because I enjoy reading I suppose.

If they lose the ad revenue from the buggy whip industry, they are toast.

knothead

knothead

Architeuthis wrote:Like this photo? Can you spot the changes?

Yes I like the photo but because I am not a native Pensacolian the only landmarks I recognize is the Rex Theater and the hotel on the corner that I wish had been saved. . . . .

Thanks for a cool thread.

knothead

knothead

W_T_M wrote:
knothead wrote:I think Bob is closest in prognostication in that it, like most print forms of old, are succumbing to its inevitable demise. Not because of its content but because of advances of technology and changes in the method of how we receive our news, local or national. In my own case I have in my own bookmarks probably as many as fifteen or so newspapers around the nation that I enjoy reading to get more of a sense of how other parts of the country view national issues.

If they lose the ad revenue from the buggy whip industry, they are toast.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Your comment reminded me of the old Pensacola Buggy Works! lol

knothead wrote:Yes I like the photo but because I am not a native Pensacolian the only landmarks I recognize is the Rex Theater and the hotel on the corner that I wish had been saved. . . . . Thanks for a cool thread.

You are welcome. I was lucky enough to meet the guy who was in charge of the demolition of the San Carlos. I was able to salvage a threshold for one of the rooms and have it as a threshold at my house now.

I too wish they could have saved the hotel, but ....

surfnrg

surfnrg

Architeuthis wrote:Like this photo? Can you spot the changes?

Well the masonic lodge is directly ahead across palafox is the blount building.

The san carlos was razed everyone i know thought it a tragedy into days world i think the city might have purchased it, the abominable federal courthouse is now there a shining example of lunacy,

By the way i am from pensacola wonder if the author of this thread is too?

surfnrg

surfnrg

Gilmore furniture is on the east i think rhodes was there too. Palafox was divided then? I think this pic is about 1964? Oh the Isis theatre is there too.
Man i love this city for all her warts and shortcomings....

This picture is around 1948. The cars are not 60's cars.

surfnrg wrote:Well the masonic lodge is directly ahead across palafox is the blount building.

The san carlos was razed everyone i know thought it a tragedy into days world i think the city might have purchased it, the abominable federal courthouse is now there a shining example of lunacy,

By the way i am from pensacola wonder if the author of this thread is too?

I am not a native. I was transplanted here in 1968.

Dreamsglore wrote:This picture is around 1948. The cars are not 60's cars.

Correct on 1948. Actually this is easy to date because of the movie shown at the REX. Saigon was released in 1948.

OK. Here is another old picture. It too is taken in Pensacola. Can anyone guess what street somewhat locally famous street this is?

Is the Pensacola News Journal dying? Scenic10

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Is it Scenic Highway?

The PNJ is a dying brand. I am still a subscriber, but never touch the print edition (the wife does). I instead read the eNewspaper online. It is an online version of the entire print version, with all ads.

But, the brand is dying. I will give it a "C" for overall quality. They are also hobnailed by stupid things, like not reporting a perp's race if an arrest nets a black person.

I think one day we will be reading the Mobile Register, Northwest Florida Edition. If the Mobile paper ever offered this, you could stick a fork inthe PNJ.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Architeuthis wrote:OK. Here is another old picture. It too is taken in Pensacola. Can anyone guess what street somewhat locally famous street this is?

Is the Pensacola News Journal dying? Scenic10

Airport Blvd...?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum