Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Never.....

+4
Yella
Margin Call
Joanimaroni
boards of FL
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Never..... - Page 2 Empty We Like Eating Pike 2/14/2013, 11:57 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

The fish is a Northern Pike. They have firm white meat and makes a great shore lunch fish. Just catch'm, cook'm and eat'm. They are the most "in your face" fish I've ever seen. Very aggressive like the Muskie but better eating. This particular fish was caught on Warrington Lake on the Manitoba/Ontario line in Canada.

27Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 11:58 am

Yella

Yella

PkrBum wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:We catch'm and eat'm for lunch on the shore.

Slice, what kind of fish is that?

It looks like a pike... the muskie is larger but can resemble the pike as a juvenile.

That fish Slice is holding is what we called a "minner" in Texas.
Non-Texans said miinows

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

28Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 12:07 pm

Bob wrote:But only when it's actual mayonaise. I can't even get that "light" shit down.
That's not even mayo. My theory is that's some byproduct of weed killer or something they discovered in the lab at Monsanto and needed an outlet for it.

I sure ate a lot of mayo and banana or tomato sandwiches in my youth. Now it's Miracle Whip in this house, because M prefers it. But I keep a small jar of Duke's for myself because it's so damned good.

I use it more for various salads than for the sandwiches. I remember making mayo in Culinary school, but I don't remember it being any better than Duke's.

29Never..... - Page 2 Empty Fishing 2/14/2013, 12:23 pm

Slicef18

Slicef18

This is how one gets to Warrington Lake in Canada. Forget cell phone service.

30Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 12:26 pm

Sal

Sal

W_T_M wrote:Culinary school, but I don't remember it being any better than Duke's.

Culinary school?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't making mayo as simple as whipping eggs and oil (maybe a little salt) together?

I think I've seen it done in a food processor.

31Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 12:28 pm

Sal wrote:
W_T_M wrote:Culinary school, but I don't remember it being any better than Duke's.

Culinary school?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't making mayo as simple as whipping eggs and oil (maybe a little salt) together?

I didn't say it was complicated....just that we made it when I was in CS.

32Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 12:31 pm

Sal

Sal

W_T_M wrote:
Sal wrote:

Culinary school?

And, I really wasn't trying to be a smart ass.

Is it as simple as I described?

I'm really not that much of a kitchen guy.

33Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 12:42 pm

Sal wrote:
W_T_M wrote:
Sal wrote:

Culinary school?

And, I really wasn't trying to be a smart ass.

Is it as simple as I described?

I'm really not that much of a kitchen guy.

Yeah, sorta. Egg yolk, lemon, white vinegar, salt, oil, sugar....

And use a whisk.

There's a lot of different other stuff you can use to influence the taste, but the basic recipe will gitterdun.

34Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 1:25 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

As a half-assed bachelor cook (who was forced to cook only because he had nobody to do it for him, although over time he learned to enjoy cooking), I can tell you that NOTHING is as simple as throwing the ingredients in a pot.
Oh sure anybody can throw the ingredients in a pot the first time and produce something that's technically edible. But that's a far cry from the result you get after a lot of experience. Experience choosing and changing the ingredients and their amounts, experience with the experimentation and tweaking of how you prepare it, and so forth and so on.
I would be very surprised if what I get by stirring a couple of ingredients in a bowl the first time can produce the same mayo as an experienced foodsmith.
And by the way, I can vouch for WTM's foodsmith credentials. I had a food orgasm when I sampled his greens and pork chops combination.

35Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 1:31 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:As a half-assed bachelor cook (who was forced to cook only because he had nobody to do it for him, although over time he learned to enjoy cooking), I can tell you that NOTHING is as simple as throwing the ingredients in a pot.

Ever make chili?

36Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 1:58 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:As a half-assed bachelor cook (who was forced to cook only because he had nobody to do it for him, although over time he learned to enjoy cooking), I can tell you that NOTHING is as simple as throwing the ingredients in a pot.

Ever make chili?
The two things I make the most are chili and spaghetti. If the lord had never invented those I would probably have to kill myself. Or at the very least die of starvation. Especially spaghetti but chili runs a good second.
But if you're wondering if I'm any good it at it, not really. Because it's not garlic'ed and italian'ed up enough to be what most people identify as legitimate spaghetti sauce.
But I've honed it down to the taste I'm in love with so that's all that really counts.
And if your question was my chili good the first time when I just threw the ingredients in the pot? Not hardly. I now have a chili that just like my spaghetti sauce is honed to exactly the way I like it. But it took me cooking it many times before I got it that way.

37Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 2:03 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:I had a food orgasm when I sampled his greens and pork chops combination.

Remind me not to invite you over for dinner.

lol

38Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 3:58 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:I had a food orgasm when I sampled his greens and pork chops combination.

Remind me not to invite you over for dinner.

lol

That's FOOD orgasm. Not orgasm. Like only in "a manner of speaking".
But as I was writing that, somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was gonna be taken that way. lol

But it really was good though. He's developed a very involved process with carefully chosen ingredients. And the result is as good a soul food as I've dined on.

39Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 6:19 pm

Sal

Sal

IMHO, McCormick's is the best chili mix money can buy.

Gotta be the original, the spicy and mild varieties are not nearly as good.

A couple packages of that stuff, two pounds of ground beef, a couple of cans of Rotel's diced tomatoes w/green chiles, and a can each of red and black beans, and you've got yourself some real good chili.

40Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 6:46 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:IMHO, McCormick's is the best chili mix money can buy.

A couple packages of that stuff, two pounds of ground beef, a couple of cans of Rotel's diced tomatoes w/green chiles, and a can each of red and black beans, and you've got yourself some real good chili.

I like French's Chili-O and the "Texas Style" version of it. My really skilled cooking friends mock me for using packaged chili mix. But that's just elitism.
I imagine "Mrs French" was a pretty good cook or she wouldna got her name on something. lol
And along with the tomatoes I add some finely chopped bell pepper, onion and celery. Sometimes I prefer it with beans and sometimes not. It's good both ways.
The important thing is to get the ratio of chili mix to the rest just right. I'm not a fan of four-alarm chili so don't add peppers to it. I tend toward the milder side.

41Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 7:52 pm

Sal wrote:IMHO, McCormick's is the best chili mix money can buy.

If you feel adventurous, try adding a lrg can of mushrooms, drained and diced, and two cloves of garlic.

Every time I make chili, it's an adventure of a dash of this, a pinch of that, etc, etc...

Not to say I don't have a standard recipe....your plan sound goods, although I don't usually make that large amount these days.

in edit....

Like Bob, I also use onion, gr. pepper, sweet banana.

Last edited by W_T_M on 2/14/2013, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

42Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 7:54 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Real men don't put beans in their chili!

43Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 7:55 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Seriously though, mine is simple and pretty much like Bob's version of no-bean chili. One thing I plan on trying next time is adding beer to the chili instead of water.

44Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 8:01 pm

A small amount of dark chocolate will add that cooked for days richness.

Do you ever serve your beanless chili over angel hair pasta...?

Time to cook.

45Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 8:05 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Never tried that, but I think I will have to next time. There are several outside-the-box things I have always wanted to make but never have.

- Spaghetti and meat sauce burrito
- Crock pot pot roast philly cheesesteak
- Hot dog with mac and cheese on the bun (saw that one on travel channel one day)

46Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 8:10 pm

Sal

Sal

W_T_M wrote:A small amount of dark chocolate will add that cooked for days richness.

Time to cook.

Is that kinda like a mole sauce?

Gawd, one of my favorite things to get at Mexican restaurants is chicken mole.

Delicious.

Back to chili, I prefer to add my peppers and onions to the finished product, and jalapeƱos to bell peppers.

47Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 8:15 pm

Sal you might enjoy one of my tricks if you put beans in your chili... I use dried beans and put jalapeno juice in the water to soak. You can make it mild but half way thru the bowl it starts to warm ya up.

48Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 8:36 pm

boards of FL wrote:Never tried that, but I think I will have to next time. There are several outside-the-box things I have always wanted to make but never have.

- Spaghetti and meat sauce burrito
- Crock pot pot roast philly cheesesteak
- Hot dog with mac and cheese on the bun (saw that one on travel channel one day)

I've put pasta in a burrito, with Italian sausage, peppers and onions, grated piquant Provolone, sour cream and scallions.

The crock pot thing sounds good. Maybe grilled after assembly.

That last heart attack in waiting I can do w/out...LOL

Left over Chinese takeout is great mixed all together and rolled in a burrito.

49Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 8:40 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Sal you might enjoy one of my tricks if you put beans in your chili... I use dried beans and put jalapeno juice in the water to soak. You can make it mild but half way thru the bowl it starts to warm ya up.

That's a GREAT idea!

Thanks.

50Never..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Never..... 2/14/2013, 8:43 pm

Sal wrote:
W_T_M wrote:A small amount of dark chocolate will add that cooked for days richness.

Time to cook.

Is that kinda like a mole sauce?

Gawd, one of my favorite things to get at Mexican restaurants is chicken mole.

Delicious.

Back to chili, I prefer to add my peppers and onions to the finished product, and jalapeƱos to bell peppers.

Only in the sense that it has chocolate. Mole is a complicated sauce...I'm just stealing from it.

If ya like that chili hot, raisons are a good topping to help sweeten the finish.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum