Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where EXACTLY was "Pottery Plant Road"?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My cousin who lived here during his youth but moved away after that, asked me in a phone conversation "where was Pottery Plant Rd located".

This is what Pensapedia says...

Fairfield Drive acquired its name from the fairgrounds used by the Pensacola Interstate Fair, which were located on the thoroughfare between Pace Boulevard and Palafox Street near Town & Country Plaza.

Originally, Fairfield dead-ended at Palafox Street. A short distance north of that intersection, Pottery Plant Road, which ran from Davis Highway to Palafox, also dead-ended at Palafox. Both of these roads were two-lane highways, and in the 1960s this area was known for heavy traffic congestion, often exacerbated by delays caused by trains moving in and out of L&N's Goulding Yard, which Pottery Plant Road crossed at grade just east of Palafox.

That says Pottery Plant Road dead-ended at Palafox.
Only problem is I have the ad seen below for an Oral Roberts Crusade held at the old fairgrounds which gives the address for the fairgrounds as "Pottery Plant Rd".

I remember the fairgrounds being located west of Palafox at what is now the intersection of Fairfield and Texar. So if Pottery Plant Rd dead-ended at Palafox, why would the fairgrounds address be Pottery Plant Rd?

Does anyone remember where exactly Pottery Plant Road was located? And where were the two ends of it?

And last question, where was the pottery plant the road was named for. I have no recollection of that.

Where EXACTLY was "Pottery Plant Road"? Oral11

From what I recall (read somewhere), there were several pottery plants along that road, but I don't know where they were located.

I am going to do some guessing. I say Pottery Plant road did end into Palafox where Fairfield is now. Fairfield went straight and is now called West Texar
Remember the Giant piles of scrap at Pensacola Junk Yard and Southern Scrap.? Also AAC was in full operation back then. My guess was that short stretch that is now West Texar and it joined Pottery plant road at the split. When we left the Vagabon we took Herman street over to Palafox. I need to do some more thinking about it.
Hard to remember after they renameed everything.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:I am going to do some guessing. I say Pottery Plant road did end into Palafox where Fairfield is now. Fairfield went straight and is now called West Texar
Remember the Giant piles of scrap at Pensacola Junk Yard and Southern Scrap.? Also AAC was in full operation back then. My guess was that short stretch that is now West Texar and it joined Pottery plant road at the split. When we left the Vagabon we took Herman street over to Palafox. I need to do some more thinking about it.

I think that may be the solution to the mystery. Where Texar (west of Palafox) is now, is where at least part of Pottery Plant Rd was located.

But if pensapedia is right about this part...

"exacerbated by delays caused by trains moving in and out of L&N's Goulding Yard, which Pottery Plant Road crossed at grade just east of Palafox."

... then Pottery Plant Rd extended east of Palafox too.
My guess is Pottery Plant Rd was essentially where Texar Drive is now. It's western end was where it intersected with Fairfield. And it's eastern end was somewhere east of the railroad tracks. And that would have been about where the old navy landing field was located.
Actually to this day, the people who live in that neighborhood south of Texar and east of the railroad tracks still call their neighborhood "the field".

Last edited by Bob on 2/9/2013, 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tell me if I remember right. What I remember is the fairgrounds was located in the property that is now east of where Fairfield and Texar come together (on the south side of Fairfield). The property in that peninsula between the two roads.
Builders Square was across the street from that on the north side of Fairfield.
Did the fairgrounds property straddle Fairfield and was it on both sides of it?

I dont think so. Most of that area was the scrap yards. The earliest I can remember the fair it was south of Fairfield/potty plant road close to were the County Government complex is. It may have been further east but I dont remember it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:I am going to do some guessing. I say Pottery Plant road did end into Palafox where Fairfield is now. Fairfield went straight and is now called West Texar

Wait a minute I think I misinterpreted that. It sounds like instead that Pottery Plant Rd was where Fairfield west of Palafox is now. And Fairfield was where Texar west of palafox is now. Is that correct?
In other words, when the streets were reconfigured, Pottery Plant west of Palafox became Fairfield, and Fairfield west of Palafox became Texar.
If so then that would make the pensapedia statement correct also, that (before the change) Pottery Plant was just north of Fairfield.

Last edited by Bob on 2/9/2013, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Pottery Plant went from Davis to Palafox.

The old Fairgrounds were just west of the scrap yard and just short of where the Old Builder's Square was located and on the same side of the road.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

The old Fairgrounds were just west of the scrap yard and just short of where the Old Builder's Square was located and on the same side of the road.
That's jogging my memory loose. I'm now starting to remember that's where the fair was.
I don't know why I've thought for years that it was between Fairfield and Texar. Because as I think about it, that land is not wide enough.

Didn't you all already sort this out on PNJ some years back? I recall the exact same thread from there.... LONG discussion and arguments back and forth between some folks on the subject.

Yeah?

You're right Ricey. We beat that subject to death.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

riceme wrote:Didn't you all already sort this out on PNJ some years back? I recall the exact same thread from there.... LONG discussion and arguments back and forth between some folks on the subject.

Yeah?

See what you have to look forward to in 20 years? You can cover the same damn crap and not remember it. You can even re-read books.

Joanimaroni wrote:
riceme wrote:Didn't you all already sort this out on PNJ some years back? I recall the exact same thread from there.... LONG discussion and arguments back and forth between some folks on the subject.

Yeah?

See what you have to look forward to in 20 years? You can cover the same damn crap and not remember it. You can even re-read books.

Haha! That's okay, if I recall correctly it was one of my all time favorite threads... happened at a time when there was a lot of BS fighting going on, and it seemed like everyone was able to come and post like normal people on the subject, all happily sharing their experiences and everything, instead of fighting. Made me happy.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

flower

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

Not long ago I rented a movie to watch for the first time that my girlfriend says we watched at the theater several months before. I didn't any have recollection of that.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Not long ago I rented a movie to watch for the first time that my girlfriend says we watched at the theater several months before. I didn't any have recollection of that.

Did you watch it again?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

Did you watch it again?
I did. Even though she'd already told me I was going to watch a movie I'd already seen, it was surprising how much of it I still didn't quite remember.
It's pretty sad. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:

Did you watch it again?
I did. Even though she'd already told me I was going to watch a movie I'd already seen, it was surprising how much of it I still didn't quite remember.
It's pretty sad. lol

Well, I'm just happy to hear you were familiar with some of the material.

If it had been all new to you, that'd be really scary.

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:My cousin who lived here during his youth but moved away after that, asked me in a phone conversation "where was Pottery Plant Rd located".

This is what Pensapedia says...

Fairfield Drive acquired its name from the fairgrounds used by the Pensacola Interstate Fair, which were located on the thoroughfare between Pace Boulevard and Palafox Street near Town & Country Plaza.

Originally, Fairfield dead-ended at Palafox Street. A short distance north of that intersection, Pottery Plant Road, which ran from Davis Highway to Palafox, also dead-ended at Palafox. Both of these roads were two-lane highways, and in the 1960s this area was known for heavy traffic congestion, often exacerbated by delays caused by trains moving in and out of L&N's Goulding Yard, which Pottery Plant Road crossed at grade just east of Palafox.

That says Pottery Plant Road dead-ended at Palafox.
Only problem is I have the ad seen below for an Oral Roberts Crusade held at the old fairgrounds which gives the address for the fairgrounds as "Pottery Plant Rd".

I remember the fairgrounds being located west of Palafox at what is now the intersection of Fairfield and Texar. So if Pottery Plant Rd dead-ended at Palafox, why would the fairgrounds address be Pottery Plant Rd?

Does anyone remember where exactly Pottery Plant Road was located? And where were the two ends of it?

And last question, where was the pottery plant the road was named for. I have no recollection of that.

Where EXACTLY was "Pottery Plant Road"? Oral11

Bob, did you know that Oral had a twin brother who was named Anal?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum