Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jimmy Swaggart

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jimmy Swaggart Empty Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 8:33 am

Bob sometime speaks of Jimmy Swaggart. Not too many years ago Swaggart was a hell of a guy. Like it or not, believe it or not, Swaggard had "IT". IMHO One of the best speaker/preachers who has ever been. He had radio preaching down to a performance art. He was way ahead of his time. Now we are ruined with all the quacks that have copied his style. I am not a fundamentalist believer. But back in the 60s, late at night driving down a dark Texas road with Swaggard blasting out of a AM radio broadcasting from Del Rio Texas. He could scare the "Hell" right out of you. He could make you feel hells fire coming from the floor board and Satans breath at the window. LOL It is old stuff now(the preaching style) and it has been over done but there was a time when he was really really good.

...............................................................................................................Pentecostal evangelist. Born March 15, 1935, in Ferriday, Louisiana. He was the first child born to sharecroppers Minnie and W.L. Swaggart, who were fervent participants in the local Assemblies of God congregation. Throughout his teens, Swaggart and his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis rebelled from their religious environment by frequenting local rhythm and blues clubs, where they quickly gained reputations for their piano playing ability. Over the next few years, Swaggart struggled with the demands of his family's fundamentalist Pentecostal faith and his love for music.

Swaggart abandoned his pursuit of a musical career, deciding instead to dedicate his life to the church. In 1952, he joined his father's newly formed ministry, where he met and married fellow parishioner Frances Anderson. After joining a group of itinerant preachers, the couple spent the next few years traveling throughout the South.

In 1962, with the help of the now-famous Lewis, Swaggart recorded the gospel album God Took Away My Yesterdays. Impressive record sales coupled with a growing congregation influenced Swaggart to form his own record label. With annual recordings that included the bestselling albums This Is Just What Heaven Means to Me and There Is a River, he continued to draw larger and more diverse audiences.

Growing Fame and Wealth

In 1968, Swaggart moved to Baton Rogue, where he launched a national radio program called The Camp Meeting Hour. By the late 1970s, The Camp Meeting Hour was broadcast on 650 radio stations while Swaggart continued to lead revivals with audiences estimated in the thousands. Swaggart's success on radio inspired him to try his hand at the much more lucrative medium of television. Featuring fiery rhetoric and extremist ideology, The Jimmy Swaggart Telecast premiered on Jim and Tammy Bakker's fledgling PTL Network in the mid-1970s. The show reached and audience of two million, becoming the highest rated religious program in America.

At the height of his popularity, Swaggart was a celebrity in the gospel circuit, with a lavish lifestyle to match. With contributions from his loyal parishioners, Swaggart was able to finance a Bible college, printing plant, recording studio, television production center, and church sanctuary, as well as a $2.5 million estate that housed his fleet of expensive cars and private jets

2Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 11:24 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

hallmarkgrad wrote:Bob sometime speaks of Jimmy Swaggart. Not too many years ago Swaggart was a hell of a guy. Like it or not, believe it or not, Swaggard had "IT". IMHO One of the best speaker/preachers who has ever been. He had radio preaching down to a performance art. He was way ahead of his time. Now we are ruined with all the quacks that have copied his style. I am not a fundamentalist believer. But back in the 60s, late at night driving down a dark Texas road with Swaggard blasting out of a AM radio broadcasting from Del Rio Texas. He could scare the "Hell" right out of you. He could make you feel hells fire coming from the floor board and Satans breath at the window. LOL It is old stuff now(the preaching style) and it has been over done but there was a time when he was really really good.

A couple of thoughts:
1. I believe the country entertainer Micky Gilly is also from the talented family.
2. Jimmy Swaggard

...............................................................................................................Pentecostal evangelist. Born March 15, 1935, in Ferriday, Louisiana. He was the first child born to sharecroppers Minnie and W.L. Swaggart, who were fervent participants in the local Assemblies of God congregation. Throughout his teens, Swaggart and his cousin Jerry Lee Lewis rebelled from their religious environment by frequenting local rhythm and blues clubs, where they quickly gained reputations for their piano playing ability. Over the next few years, Swaggart struggled with the demands of his family's fundamentalist Pentecostal faith and his love for music.

Swaggart abandoned his pursuit of a musical career, deciding instead to dedicate his life to the church. In 1952, he joined his father's newly formed ministry, where he met and married fellow parishioner Frances Anderson. After joining a group of itinerant preachers, the couple spent the next few years traveling throughout the South.

In 1962, with the help of the now-famous Lewis, Swaggart recorded the gospel album God Took Away My Yesterdays. Impressive record sales coupled with a growing congregation influenced Swaggart to form his own record label. With annual recordings that included the bestselling albums This Is Just What Heaven Means to Me and There Is a River, he continued to draw larger and more diverse audiences.

Growing Fame and Wealth

In 1968, Swaggart moved to Baton Rogue, where he launched a national radio program called The Camp Meeting Hour. By the late 1970s, The Camp Meeting Hour was broadcast on 650 radio stations while Swaggart continued to lead revivals with audiences estimated in the thousands. Swaggart's success on radio inspired him to try his hand at the much more lucrative medium of television. Featuring fiery rhetoric and extremist ideology, The Jimmy Swaggart Telecast premiered on Jim and Tammy Bakker's fledgling PTL Network in the mid-1970s. The show reached and audience of two million, becoming the highest rated religious program in America.

At the height of his popularity, Swaggart was a celebrity in the gospel circuit, with a lavish lifestyle to match. With contributions from his loyal parishioners, Swaggart was able to finance a Bible college, printing plant, recording studio, television production center, and church sanctuary, as well as a $2.5 million estate that housed his fleet of expensive cars and private jets

A couple of thoughts:
1. I believe the country entertainer Micky Gilly is also from the talented family.
2. Jimmy Swaggard having an interest in how the Lord brought forth life on to this earth, went about with his camera photographing the heavenly anatomical part women are blessed with which allows them to bring a new life into the world.

3Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 11:34 am

I can honestly say I have never heard them called " heavenly anatomical parts".

Slice, you should have this quote as your siggy lol

" The heavenly anatomical part women are blessed"

I will now go say 1000 hail mary's to repent of my sin of posting that on a religious thread. What a Face

4Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 11:40 am

hallmarkgrad wrote:Bob sometime speaks of Jimmy Swaggart. Not too many years ago Swaggart was a hell of a guy. Like it or not, believe it or not, Swaggard had "IT". IMHO One of the best speaker/preachers who has ever been. He had radio preaching down to a performance art. He was way ahead of his time. Now we are ruined with all the quacks that have copied his style. I am not a fundamentalist believer. But back in the 60s, late at night driving down a dark Texas road with Swaggard blasting out of a AM radio broadcasting from Del Rio Texas. He could scare the "Hell" right out of you. He could make you feel hells fire coming from the floor board and Satans breath at the window. LOL It is old stuff now(the preaching style) and it has been over done but there was a time when he was really really good.

Sounds like he was pretty good at fleecing the less intellectually endowed as well as the elderly just like Jimmy and Tammy too.

Growing Fame and Wealth

5Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 11:50 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

Chrissy wrote:I can honestly say I have never heard them called " heavenly anatomical parts".

I will now go say 1000 hail mary's to repent of my sin of posting that on a religious thread. What a Face

One time I saw a church sign that said, “Lying in bed shouting Oh God doesn’t constitute going to church. But then again, maybe it's someone honoring that heavenly anatomical part!

6Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 11:54 am

Slicef18 wrote:
Chrissy wrote:I can honestly say I have never heard them called " heavenly anatomical parts".

One time I saw a church sign that said, “Lying in bed shouting Oh God doesn’t constitute going to church. But then again, maybe it's someone honoring that heavenly anatomical part!

Ha! Ha! you get the best quote of the day award! cheers

7Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 12:03 pm

couple of thoughts:
2. Jimmy Swaggard having an interest in how the Lord brought forth life on to this earth, went about with his camera photographing the heavenly anatomical part women are blessed with which allows them to bring a new life into the world.

cheers

8Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 12:11 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Swaggart was a helluva musical performer. He ran circles around his two cousins.
I use to watch his Sunday tv show just to see the music segments. He could do "white soul" as good as anyone.

I was and still am a fanboy of the "tent preachers" (which evolved into the modern day media "evangelists"), hallmark. Over the years I have accumulated a small collection of the memorabilia related to them. They are a unique breed of Americana. It takes a lot of balls to do what they do.
I sum them up as being the ultimate examples of what it means to be "uninhibited". Even the ones who are pure out con artists. They live by their own system of ethics and morality.

I used to have some misgivings about it. But my attitude has now changed. I no longer have much sympathy for those who give away their money to them. I've never seen an evangelist hold a gun to anyone's head. All they ever do is use their wits. And if someone is dumb enough to fall prey to that then it's his/her fault, not theirs.

9Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 12:18 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And as for the "religion" aspect of it. Most "legitimate" church services I've ever been to have bored me to tears. I've never been to a tent revival (although nowadays the "tents" are sometimes large arenas). But what I've seen of it on television makes me think I would have a lot better time in that than I would in the church services I've been too.
But of course I would have no interest in putting money in a con man's collection plate. Giving away my money to anything like that is against my own religion. lol

10Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 12:24 pm

And on the other end of the spectrum is this crazy bitch.

11Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 12:43 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I've been meaning to put up a thread to get an answer to a question about "Pottery Plant Road". And coincidentally I was going to use this photo in the thread (you will understand why when you read the thread). But I thought you might want to see this since it relates to your thread too, hallmark.
I got this at a yard sale a few years ago. It's a newspaper ad for an Oral Roberts crusade which was at the old fairgrounds. I can't remember exactly when the fairgrounds moved to Mobile Highway but wasn't it in the early 70's?

Jimmy Swaggart Oral10

12Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/9/2013, 2:04 pm

The first Fair (1935) was held at Cervantes Street and Pace Boulevard. From there it moved to the corner of Garden Street and Pace Boulevard. In 1940, the Fair purchased its first permanent location on Pottery Plant Road, later known as Fairfield Drive.

Then in 1942, the Fair was reorganized as a non-profit organization. Its charter was locally incorporated by the board of county commissioners and verified by County Judge Fabasinski. The Fair was not incorporated through the State of Florida.

The Fair progressed for over 20 years at the Fairfield Drive location until that property was sold for a local development. In 1968, the Fair purchased the piece of property on Highway 90 (6655 Mobile Highway). The fairgound was built from the ground up and the first Fair was held at this location in 1969. The Fair now owns over 170 acres of land at that site.

John E. Frenkel Jr. joined the Fair in July of 1963 as Assistant General Manager, Secretary, and Treasurer. He helped develop the Fair as the years passed and became the General Manager, Secretary, and Treasurer in 1975. During those years he also served as City Councilman from 1967 through 1977 and County Commissioner from 1978 through 1982.

The Fair began with John E. Frenkel Sr., his wife Lillian, and 30 fair members. Over the years, it has become one of the finest and largest fairs in the United States with a staff of eight and more than 400 volunteers. Many volunteers are local clubs and individuals who serve to showcase a wonderful array of exhibits in six permanent, climate-controlled, exhibit buildings.

There is nothing like a Fair. It brings to Pensacola a stimulating, satisfying, stirring and sparkling celebration of education, entertainment and information. The Pensacola Interstate Fair receives praise locally and throughout the country. We are eminently proud to be a part of the economy and growth of Pensacola year after year...and proud to say, "The Fair is Good For Pensacola."

The members of the Pensacola Interstate Fair wish to extend their sincere and lasting appreciation to all those people and organizations who have contributed so much, labored so hard, and and shown their interest year after year. The result is the Fair's present status and position: firmly established as a part of Pensacola's community life and business.

13Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/10/2013, 7:05 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

hallmarkgrad wrote:The first Fair (1935) was held at Cervantes Street and Pace Boulevard. From there it moved to the corner of Garden Street and Pace Boulevard. In 1940, the Fair purchased its first permanent location on Pottery Plant Road, later known as Fairfield Drive.

Then in 1942, the Fair was reorganized as a non-profit organization. Its charter was locally incorporated by the board of county commissioners and verified by County Judge Fabasinski. The Fair was not incorporated through the State of Florida.

The Fair progressed for over 20 years at the Fairfield Drive location until that property was sold for a local development. In 1968, the Fair purchased the piece of property on Highway 90 (6655 Mobile Highway). The fairgound was built from the ground up and the first Fair was held at this location in 1969. The Fair now owns over 170 acres of land at that site.

John E. Frenkel Jr. joined the Fair in July of 1963 as Assistant General Manager, Secretary, and Treasurer. He helped develop the Fair as the years passed and became the General Manager, Secretary, and Treasurer in 1975. During those years he also served as City Councilman from 1967 through 1977 and County Commissioner from 1978 through 1982.

The Fair began with John E. Frenkel Sr., his wife Lillian, and 30 fair members. Over the years, it has become one of the finest and largest fairs in the United States with a staff of eight and more than 400 volunteers. Many volunteers are local clubs and individuals who serve to showcase a wonderful array of exhibits in six permanent, climate-controlled, exhibit buildings.

There is nothing like a Fair. It brings to Pensacola a stimulating, satisfying, stirring and sparkling celebration of education, entertainment and information. The Pensacola Interstate Fair receives praise locally and throughout the country. We are eminently proud to be a part of the economy and growth of Pensacola year after year...and proud to say, "The Fair is Good For Pensacola."

The members of the Pensacola Interstate Fair wish to extend their sincere and lasting appreciation to all those people and organizations who have contributed so much, labored so hard, and and shown their interest year after year. The result is the Fair's present status and position: firmly established as a part of Pensacola's community life and business.

Thank You all for sharing your knowledge and memories. It's the best piece of history I've seen about it. For what it's worth, I grew up in Minnesota where the snow was sometime so high that our dad had to hitch a team of horses to the car and pull it out to the plowed road so we could go to church. Also, in the early 80's we had an employee who left a lucrative job to take his wife and go out to Oral Roberts University to serve the lord.

14Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/10/2013, 7:21 am

Thanks but I hijacked the info from the Fairs website. I spent a couple of weeks in Duluth Minnesota. I found the entire area amazing, the wild rice, big ore carriers, etc. I hope to go back and spend some more time there..

15Jimmy Swaggart Empty Re: Jimmy Swaggart 2/10/2013, 8:45 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

hallmarkgrad wrote:Thanks but I hijacked the info from the Fairs website. I spent a couple of weeks in Duluth Minnesota. I found the entire area amazing, the wild rice, big ore carriers, etc. I hope to go back and spend some more time there..

If you go back to Duluth, be sure to drive a few miles up the North Shore and visit the Split Rock Lighthouse. Bring camera. Also, If you're a history fan of WWII Aircraft. About 20 miles West of Duluth/Superior on the Wisconsin side on highway "2" West is a little town of Popular Wisconsin where WWII P-38 pilot Richard Bong who scores some 40 enemy aircraft. One short story is when he and his fellow P-38 Lightning pilots found themselves in a bee's nest of Japanese Zero's. Bong saw a Zero closing in on one of the other P-38's. Bong shut down one of his two engines and dove between the other P-38 and the Zero. The Zero pilot seeing Bongs aircraft with only one engine working thought Bong's aircraft would be an easy kill. The Zero broke off chasing the other P-38 and headed for Bong's aircraft. At which point, Bong restarted his engine and flew away leaving the Zero with no target.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum