Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Just enforce the laws on the books!"

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-16-2013/there-goes-the-boom

Pretty good... and true. If laws worked on criminals and crazies... the first couple of thousand laws would have solved the problem. I think anyone allowing access of these people to guns should be culpable as well. Teaching them to shoot or taking them to gun ranges or not securing your weapons is a bad idea.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Pretty good... and true. If laws worked on criminals and crazies... the first couple of thousand laws would have solved the problem. I think anyone allowing access of these people to guns should be culpable as well. Teaching them to shoot or taking them to gun ranges or not securing your weapons is a bad idea.

Did you watch the video?

So are you criticizing the fact that the ATF was castrated and has the same number of agents they did in 1979, or are you saying that hey states and federal agencies should enforce the 20,000 or so various gun laws on the books?

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Pretty good... and true. If laws worked on criminals and crazies... the first couple of thousand laws would have solved the problem. I think anyone allowing access of these people to guns should be culpable as well. Teaching them to shoot or taking them to gun ranges or not securing your weapons is a bad idea.

Did you watch the video?

yes... you did too... right? Tens of thousands on laws and restrictions related to guns and even a govt agency with the responsibility (and no director confirmed for years) to enforce the laws. What else exactly do you want?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:yes... you did too... right? Tens of thousands on laws and restrictions related to guns and even a govt agency with the responsibility (and no director confirmed for years) to enforce the laws. What else exactly do you want?

You didn't watch the video.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Ironsights wrote:So are you criticizing the fact that the ATF was castrated and has the same number of agents they did in 1979, or are you saying that hey states and federal agencies should enforce the 20,000 or so various gun laws on the books?

I'm showing the fallacy in the "just enforce the laws on the books" argument.

boards of FL wrote:
Ironsights wrote:So are you criticizing the fact that the ATF was castrated and has the same number of agents they did in 1979, or are you saying that hey states and federal agencies should enforce the 20,000 or so various gun laws on the books?

What is the fallacy you speak of?

It reinforced that argument imo... isn't it already illegal for criminals and crazies to possess guns? Wouldn't an honest law abiding citizen need a background check and permit to carry a weapon in public?

What exactly do you want?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Did you watch the video?

yes... you did too... right? Tens of thousands on laws and restrictions related to guns and even a govt agency with the responsibility (and no director confirmed for years) to enforce the laws. What else exactly do you want?

By a recent statistic I saw, 40% of gun sales occur at gun shows with no background checks and no waiting period. Do you think it's unreasonable to hold gun sellers at shows to the same standards as gun shops and pawn shops?

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Did you watch the video?

By a recent statistic I saw, 40% of gun sales occur at gun shows with no background checks and no waiting period. Do you think it's unreasonable to hold gun sellers at shows to the same standards as gun shops and pawn shops?

no... not necessarily. I don't want criminals our crazies to have easy access. Perhaps people could get a permit at the sos while the get their dl or register to vote or get their hunting liscense... and also have a thumb print on bill of sale. There are common sense solutions to real concerns... but the real world isn't rainbows and unicorns... bad stuff happens.

Floridatexan wrote:

Have you ever been to a gun show? The amount of people that are bartering their own wares and not actually vendors is a paltry amount.
Link to your hyperbole stat?

Last edited by PACEDOG#1 on 2/6/2013, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

bizguy

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Did you watch the video?

Do you understand that FFL dealers selling at a gun show are still required to conduct a background check on the purchaser? Based on personal observation I would say the vast majority of weapons purchased at gun shows are from a FFL dealer.

boards of FL

boards of FL

alecto wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

What is the fallacy you speak of?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-16-2013/there-goes-the-boom
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-16-2013/there-goes-the-boom---atf

Last edited by boards of FL on 2/6/2013, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Have you ever been to a gun show? The amount of people that are bartering their own wares and not actually vendors is a paltry amount.

The gun show loophole has been closed in Florida and other states...have not heard anyone not support this change...

knothead

knothead

boards of FL wrote:http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-16-2013/there-goes-the-boom

@BDS: I watched the video . . . . . . I knew what was revealed but thank you for highlighting it . . . . . . we have NOT had a Director of the ATF since 2006 thanks to Congressman Sensenbrenner who, BTW, received a huge trophy/award from . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . the NRA! Surprise surprise!!

This is dirt road pathetic but then that is who the GOP works for, isn't it?

boards of FL

boards of FL

knothead wrote:
boards of FL wrote:http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-16-2013/there-goes-the-boom

@BDS: I watched the video . . . . . . I knew what was revealed but thank you for highlighting it . . . . . . we have NOT had a Director of the ATF since 2006 thanks to Congressman Sensenbrenner who, BTW, received a huge trophy/award from . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . the NRA! Surprise surprise!!

This is dirt road pathetic but then that is who the GOP works for, isn't it?

The real point is made in the second part of the video. I didn't realize that they broke this thing up into two separate parts:

Sure, we have plenty of laws on the books that govern the sale of arms. The unfortunate truth is that we also have plenty of law on the books that prevent said laws from being enforced.

yossarian."....Catch-22 huh...?..."

dr. daneeka: "...it's the best..."

newswatcher wrote:
The gun show loophole has been closed in Florida and other states...have not heard anyone not support this change...
Lol no the "gun show loophole" has not been closed in Florida, what the "gunshow loophole" is, is the sale by private citizens of firearms without a background check. It is still very much legal in Florida and most every state there is.

boards of FL wrote:4

The real point is made in the second part of the video. I didn't realize that they broke this thing up into two separate parts:

Sure, we have plenty of laws on the books that govern the sale of arms. The unfortunate truth is that we also have plenty of law on the books that prevent said laws from being enforced.
You have laws which hinder law enforcement and specifically the ATF this is true, however many of the gun laws are state laws that the ATF wouldn't be able to enforce anyways. It was up to the states to enforce their own state gun laws which in many cases they have failed repeatedly to do, as is the case with many "straw" purchasers. He brought up a funny liberal point about the problems with the ATF but that is only one small part of the whole issue.

Last edited by Ironsights on 2/7/2013, 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Lol i think that her statistic was likely from the gun show loophole and not from gunshows themselves.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jul/25/michael-bloomberg/mayor-michael-bloomberg-says-40-percent-guns-are-s/
maybe what she was referring to. And many politicians, activist groups, and news groups still use these numbers today.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum