Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looks like the National Park Service is wanting to ban Personal Watercraft.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectId=40970

I hate efforts by the US Gubment to limit what we can do. The damn bureaucrats would regulate every breath we take if we let them. Maybe Personal Water Craft (Jetskis, etc.) are bad for the environment... maybe not. I don't personally like them, but I hate seeing another freedom taken away.

At the link above, there is a notice from the NPS, and a link where you can make your feelings known... pro or con. The gist of the notice is below.

Personal watercraft (PWC) were historically permitted in the units of the National Park Service (NPS) under the same regulations as other motorized watercraft. Due to the large increase in PWC use in the 1990s, the NPS published a proposed rule in 1998 which banned PWC use in all park units except for 21 units with a history of prior PWC use. These 21 excepted parks, including Gulf Islands, were given a two-year grace period to develop and implement park-specific PWC regulations in order to continue to allow PWC use. Gulf Islands prepared an Environmental Assessment (EA) for the NEPA compliance for a regulation allowing continued PWC use. The NPS completed the final regulation for PWC use at Gulf Islands in 2006.

In 2008, a lawsuit was filed claiming that the EA was deficient and violated NEPA, the NPS Organic Act, and the Administrative Procedure Act. On July 8, 2010, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia issued a ruling, finding that the impact analyses in the PWC EA were inadequate. The court did not vacate the PWC regulations, but remanded the case to the NPS "so that it may have an opportunity to provide adequate reasoning for its conclusions." Therefore, the special regulations remain in effect and PWC are currently still allowed to operate at Gulf Islands. The NPS intends to address the deficiencies identified by the court by preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for PWC use at Gulf Islands, which will include supplemental documentation, impact analyses not present in the earlier EA, and may include additional alternatives. Your input and engagement are important to this planning process.

To submit a comment on the project, please click the "Open for Comment" button on the left hand side of this page. Then select the document that you wish to review and then click "Comment on Document" to enter and submit your comments.

The NPS will hold public scoping meetings (and accept additional public comment) in Spring 2013 after we have developed preliminary alternatives for managing PWC use within Seashore boundaries. We will post details regarding the public meetings on the this website as soon as the information is available.

Methinks they're going through the motions, so they can say they jumped through all the hoops, then they're gonna do what they wanted to do all along...

EDIT: The comment period is 02/05/2013 - 04/08/2013

OK, it looks like it ain't sexy or gun-related or a conspiracy theory, so it'll disappear off the front page soon. But here's the comments I sent in.

I am not an owner of a Personal Water Craft and haven't even ridden on one. I do not plan to purchase one.

I retired as an environmental professional with 22 years in service to the State of Florida and consider our environment a priority.

I do not like personal watercraft because many disobey "Idle Speed Only, No Wake" regulations. My dislike of PWCs do not extend toward banning them from NPS areas however, except for perhaps designated swimming areas that also exclude boats.

Freedoms, once removed, never seem to be reinstated. I have gotten conservative in my old age and hate to see heavy-handed regulations implemented just because the powers that be have the authority to regulate.

Please do not ban PWCs outright in all areas under NPS jurisdiction.

I've seen the pattern my whole life... the comment was accurate imo. I'm not against common sense protections to ensure the future enjoyment of OUR parks... but that ends when unreasonable restrictions infringe our enjoyment. The enviro nuts don't own the parks or public lands.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum