Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

I simply do not think it is reasonable that no judicial process is required... if intelligence (and remember this is who stated iraq still had wmd's) is targeting and becomes aware that they are after an american over the course of weeks... then there is time to present that evidence. Granted we may not know it's an american... and being on a foreign soil could have much less burden of proof. But the ndaa allows domestic use. I am adamantly against this... I want that limited in the strongest way possible.

knothead

knothead

@pkrbum:

Open the link to the white paper, page 6, middle paragraph reads in part:

As the Hamdi plurality observed, in the circumstances of war, the risk of erroneous deprivation of a citizen's life is even more significant. But, the realities of combat render certain uses of force necessary and appropriate including force against U.S. citizens who have joined enemy forces in the armed conflict against the United States and whose activities pose an imminent threat of violent attack against the United States and due process analysis need not blink at those realities These same realities must also be considered in assessing the burdens the Government would face in providing greater process to a member of enemy forces. (plurality Opinion).

In view of these interests and practical considerations, the United States would be able to use lethal force against a U.S. citizen, who is located outside the United States and is an operational leader continually planning attacks against U.S. persons and interests, in at least the following circumstances: (1) where an informed, high level official of the U.S. government has determined that the targeted individual poses an imminent threat of violent attack against the United States; (2)where a capture operation would be infeasible--and where those conducting the operation continue to monitor whether capture becomes feasible; and (3) where such an operation would be conducted consistent with applicable law of war principles. In these circumstances, the realities of the conflict and the weight of the government's interest in protecting its citizens from an imminent attack are such that the Constitution would not require the government to provide further process to such a U.S. citizen before using lethal force. Cf. Hamdi, 542

It all sounds good until Ann Coulter breaks a nail
off in Glenn Beck's ass unleashing a right wingnut
neocon shit storm of worst case scenarios du jour.

This whole protecting us thing is hard.

LOL...a fresh round of negatives from the twisted sister posse' and sock drawer union.

I'm beginning to think they are trying to hurt my feeling's.

Bingo...!!!!

Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans - Page 2 0_258_zpsf652cb2c

knothead

knothead

This whole protecting us thing is hard.

Truer words have never been spoken.

The negs ain't coming from me bro . . . . .

knothead wrote:This whole protecting us thing is hard.

Truer words have never been spoken.

The negs ain't coming from me bro . . . . .

Yep...it's as serious as cancer.

Protecting us by fencing us in is not an original problem solving idea.

We beg for safety and flinch when the request is taken seriously. What should we not do in the pursuit of freedom...?

Build a wall around the entire country and require that all voting citizens be armed.

That'll giterdun.

knothead

knothead

This issue will be a hot topic tomorrow during the Brennan confirmation hearings? I will be interested to see how he deals with the questions . . . .

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Was it drones that took down the World Trade Center and the Pentagon? Think about it.

Markle

Markle

I have no problem using drone attacks on American Citizens on foreign soil who have taken up arms with terrorists against our country. The language on who can authorize such attacks could be tightened up some.

[quote="PkrBum"]I simply do not think it is reasonable that no judicial process is required... if intelligence (and remember this is who stated iraq still had wmd's) is targeting and becomes aware that they are after an american over the course of weeks... then there is time to present that evidence. Granted we may not know it's an american... and being on a foreign soil could have much less burden of proof. But the ndaa allows domestic use. I am adamantly against this... I want that limited in the strongest way possible.[/quote

If an 'american' makes the choice to go _______ and hang out with terrorists...support their cause...assist them..they also make the choice to be an enemy of the United States and accept the consequences of the choice...

knothead

knothead

Watching the Brennan confirmation hearings and Chairman Feinstein cleared the meeting room because of five protesters disturbing the hearing. People were allowed back in by Capitol Police providing they were not part of Code Pink protesters bent on disturbance of the proceedings.

Sal

Sal

knothead wrote:Watching the Brennan confirmation hearings and Chairman Feinstein cleared the meeting room because of five protesters disturbing the hearing. People were allowed back in by Capitol Police providing they were not part of Code Pink protesters bent on disturbance of the proceedings.

What did you think of Brennan's performance, knothead?

I wasn't able to watch much of it, but what I did see was some of the best duckin' and weavin' since Ali.

I came out of it kinda ambivalent.

I think he's a rather shady character, so he's prolly perfect for the CIA.

They deserve each other.

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:
knothead wrote:Watching the Brennan confirmation hearings and Chairman Feinstein cleared the meeting room because of five protesters disturbing the hearing. People were allowed back in by Capitol Police providing they were not part of Code Pink protesters bent on disturbance of the proceedings.

What did you think of Brennan's performance, knothead?

I wasn't able to watch much of it, but what I did see was some of the best duckin' and weavin' since Ali.

I came out of it kinda ambivalent.

I think he's a rather shady character, so he's prolly perfect for the CIA.

They deserve each other.

Sal, I think the man is uniquely qualified . . . . . he has been in the intelligence community for 30 years. He is brusque by nature but has a grasp of the complexities of running the CIA probably more so than some former Directors. Likability is not a prerequisite but I think he understands the value of maintaining good relationships with power players on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, e.g., Feinstein, Graham, Cruz, etc. I predict he will be confirmed and will serve effectively and honorably.

.... ok i have held off for a bit on this because i wanted to make sure i read it right. So what exactly is the new legal ground being used here? That we can attack enemies of the US on foreign soil even if they are US citizens. Last i checked we have done that since the revolutionary war. As far as police being involved they are on foreign soil unless you get that countries cops involved its a no go. Would you all be less up in arms if it were a manned plane killing these people? Or how about a squad of soldiers who risk their lives to kill these enemies and save other Americans.

knothead

knothead

Ironsights wrote:.... ok i have held off for a bit on this because i wanted to make sure i read it right. So what exactly is the new legal ground being used here? That we can attack enemies of the US on foreign soil even if they are US citizens. Last i checked we have done that since the revolutionary war. As far as police being involved they are on foreign soil unless you get that countries cops involved its a no go. Would you all be less up in arms if it were a manned plane killing these people? Or how about a squad of soldiers who risk their lives to kill these enemies and save other Americans.

Personally, I am not up in arms whatsoever. The 'white paper' I posted earlier in this thread lays out the official government policy on how to implement these policies and the attendant legal foundation. Legal scholars fear it has the potential to give too much authority to kill people without due process, mainly American citizens. Like I said, at this point, I say go for it, it keeps our military out of harms way and gets the bad guys off the field, probably creates more enemies but that is another discussion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum