Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Being Green

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Being Green Empty Being Green 2/4/2013, 12:19 am

Hijacked from a friends facebook post
Being Green

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have
this green thing back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment f
or future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truely recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 2/4/2013, 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total

2Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 12:47 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I like it.

3Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 2:49 am

EXCELLENT, hg!! I'm gonna forward this to several of my friends and family members, and it will be difficult to refrain from including my smartass sister who constantly berates everyone in the family, including the oldtimers, about just how "green" we are not... all while she jets all around the world burning up Jet-A!

Love it.

4Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 2:59 pm

Jake92

I recycle a lot and normally throw all of my lawn and leaf clippings into the compost pile. My recycle can gets emptied every week while my garbage can might get emptied every 3rd or 4th week. I try to keep my van tuned up and tires inflated, but I do speed a little.

5Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 3:23 pm

Jake92 wrote:I recycle a lot and normally throw all of my lawn and leaf clippings into the compost pile. My recycle can gets emptied every week while my garbage can might get emptied every 3rd or 4th week. I try to keep my van tuned up and tires inflated, but I do speed a little.

We have a really cool program here (it was one of the first implemented in the country) where the garbage company actually sorts and pulls ALL the recyclables out of the garbage for you. Some people still hold out aluminum cans because if you drink a lot of beer, you can make a lot of money back recycling your cans, but mostly it's nice to not feel bad about being lazy. Mama likey.

I have been informed that I am "a freak" about monitoring my tire inflation and fluid levels &c in my pickup, but to heck with it... it can't hurt anything (except my relationships with men, apparently!), and can only help, so to hell with them and I'll keep doing my thing. My pickup is getting a little long in the tooth (almost 200k miles), and I definitely tune it up more frequently than scheduled and have always used premium fluids (except fuel, which would be a waste in my truck), plugs, plug wires &c.

Also, I've always had a compost pile... my folks have always had one. Wouldn't do it any other way.

Heard back from a couple friends I sent hg's original post to... everyone loved it and cracked up... one said that they bet it was hard for me to NOT send it to my smartass sister. lol.

6Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 3:32 pm

Jake92

I grew my tomatos and bell peppers in containers full of dirt from my compost pile and they grew like crazy. I was getting so many tomatos that I was giving a few away fter eating 1-2 every day from late Apr thru Nov and a few weekly until Christmas.. LOL You being freaky would never bother me if we were dating.. lol Smile

7Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 3:59 pm

Jake92 wrote:I grew my tomatos and bell peppers in containers full of dirt from my compost pile and they grew like crazy. I was getting so many tomatos that I was giving a few away fter eating 1-2 every day from late Apr thru Nov and a few weekly until Christmas.. LOL You being freaky would never bother me if we were dating.. lol Smile

What sort of 'maters were you growing? My favorites are Romas. YUM!!

You know.... you would think that men would appreciate a gal who does things like check the tire pressure and fluids (not to mention does her own tune ups!) and doesn't just run the shit dry then walk into the house with a big question mark on her face after the shit goes kaboom. But noooooo, I always get these BS comments about how I'm "a freak" or some other derogatory BS. I don't know if they feel intimidated because I am not a complete mechanical idiot or what.

CLEARLY I have not yet found The Golden Ticket... to use a suweet Charlie & The Chocolate Factory reference.

Thanks for liking me brand of freaky, Jake. lol... you are not in the majority, for sure! cyclops

8Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 6:11 pm

Jake92

Rice, I have to go for an hr or so, but will be back.. PM me any time you want..

9Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 6:14 pm

riceme wrote:
Jake92 wrote:I grew my tomatos and bell peppers in containers full of dirt from my compost pile and they grew like crazy. I was getting so many tomatos that I was giving a few away fter eating 1-2 every day from late Apr thru Nov and a few weekly until Christmas.. LOL You being freaky would never bother me if we were dating.. lol Smile

What sort of 'maters were you growing? My favorites are Romas. YUM!!

You know.... you would think that men would appreciate a gal who does things like check the tire pressure and fluids (not to mention does her own tune ups!) and doesn't just run the shit dry then walk into the house with a big question mark on her face after the shit goes kaboom. But noooooo, I always get these BS comments about how I'm "a freak" or some other derogatory BS. I don't know if they feel intimidated because I am not a complete mechanical idiot or what.

CLEARLY I have not yet found The Golden Ticket... to use a suweet Charlie & The Chocolate Factory reference.

Thanks for liking me brand of freaky, Jake. lol... you are not in the majority, for sure! cyclops

I have been using Mobil 1 in my Civic and it still runs like a scalded dog and the car has 160,000 miles. Christine's CRV has almost 180,000 and it is running great too.

10Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 6:33 pm

Jake92 wrote:Rice, I have to go for an hr or so, but will be back.. PM me any time you want..

Roger that, and you do the same, sir! :]

11Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 8:01 pm

Yomama wrote:
I have been using Mobil 1 in my Civic and it still runs like a scalded dog and the car has 160,000 miles. Christine's CRV has almost 180,000 and it is running great too.

For years I ran Schaeffer Motor Oil in my Tacoma http://www.schaefferoil.com/ but when I moved to Kansas had to quit it because at the time you could only buy it in 30-gal drums and the movers wouldn't transport the drum (fortunately, there was only about 5-gal left). When I just looked it up online I see that they now offer it in qt sizes, so next time I change my oil, I'll switch back.

I did a WHOLE lot of research to decide what motor oil to switch to, and finally settled upon Mobil 1 Extended Performance (weight varies based upon seasons, since this IS in fact The Land of Four Seasons (as in, we often get all 4-seasons in one day!), but I have been extremely happy with it. Schaeffer's lab reports were slightly better than the ones I rcv'd from the Mobil 1 reports, which is why I'd like to switch back now that you can buy Schaeffer in qt sizes as opposed to the 30-gal drums.

For years I used Herguth Laboratories https://www.herguth.com/ to send monthly samples of my engine oil for analysis. With both Schaeffer and the Mobil 1 X-Performance, I received absolutely top-notch results from the lab, and a while back ceased to send in samples. Since I'm about to turn-over 200k miles, I believe I'll send in a sample soon just for good measure.

Ex-husband runs the 2nd one below in his 2005 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, and he still sends in regular samples to Herguth with nothing but excellent lab reports.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 fully synthetic motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. It provides guaranteed performance and protection for 15,000 miles or one year. Mobil 1 Extended Performance products with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain extra performance
additives to help deliver outstanding engine protection.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30:
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 is designed especially for higher mileage engines where conventional oil has been used. It reduces the sludge and deposits that conventional oils can leave behind.

EE: You all running the High Mileage in your little Hondas?

...Uhh, was gonna say sumpin else, but got a call and a brainfart ensued.

12Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 8:09 pm

riceme wrote:EE: You all running the High Mileage in your little Hondas?

for the first 130,000 miles I ran 5W-30, but went to the High Mileage 10W. If I pull my trailer to Pensacola and back, the Civic will use about 1/4 quart of oil, so I go with the 10W now. It doesn't use any oil in normal driving.

I have never had to add a quart of oil between oil changes. I don't know how many miles I drive between changes. The car has an "oil life" system and a little wrench idiot light turns on when oil life get to 15%. That's when I change it. I feel it's a bit conservative, because Mobile 1 is better than the oil the indicator is calibrated for...

13Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 8:11 pm

Using Mobil 1 ain't cheap, though. It can easily cost $70 to have the oil changed.

14Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 8:15 pm

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:Hijacked from a friends facebook post
Being Green

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have
this green thing back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment f
or future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truely recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Good one, Hallmark

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

15Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 8:19 pm

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote:EE: You all running the High Mileage in your little Hondas?

for the first 130,000 miles I ran 5W-30, but went to the High Mileage 10W. If I pull my trailer to Pensacola and back, the Civic will use about 1/4 quart of oil, so I go with the 10W now. It doesn't use any oil in normal driving.

I have never had to add a quart of oil between oil changes. I don't know how many miles I drive between changes. The car has an "oil life" system and a little wrench idiot light turns on when oil life get to 15%. That's when I change it. I feel it's a bit conservative, because Mobile 1 is better than the oil the indicator is calibrated for...

Indeed, but it is well worth the money spent for engine life and longevity.

16Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 8:36 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

That was a good post. I rode the school bus to Millie Munsey Elementary School in Bakersfield, CA during kindergarten and 1st grade, but in second grade, me and Rosemary Bell walked the 1.5 mile distance both ways, all by ourselves, every school day. In third grade, I switched over to Harris School, a brand new school, 1.5 miles in the other direction. Third graders were eligible to ride their bikes to school, so I started riding. My mom launched me out in some of the coldest weather, too. She eventually knitted me some mittens and a cap to keep my hands and ears from freezing.

We had one TV until well after I left home, and until 1966, it was an old Packard Bell B&W console, powered by tubes. We got a Munz color set when I was in the 8th grade. We had just 3 channels, and only got them by aerial. We were awestruck when we finally started watching TV in color.

Back then, we did not worry about: abduction; sexual orientation; sexual harrassment; bullying/hazing; whether someone had ADHD (I am sure plenty of us did); fairness (there was a lot that wasn't fair-you had to deal with it and compete for your spot in the world); terrorism (at home or abroad)....I am sure I could add to this list.

Somewhere along the way, we bacame a nanny-state and a nation of sissies.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

17Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 8:45 pm

Yomama wrote:Using Mobil 1 ain't cheap, though. It can easily cost $70 to have the oil changed.

I can usually find it in 1-gallon containers at a decent savings from quart-size.

18Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 9:01 pm

cool1

cool1

Hallmark I loved it --It cracked me up --and I read it out loud for my husband and daughter --- Razz

19Being Green Empty Re: Being Green 2/4/2013, 10:38 pm

Jake92

Back in the late 60's, I used Tiopet Oil. It's a Pennsylvania oil with the parafin and other things refined out. I looked it up and all I could find was old cans for sale. LOL We used it in the race car and changed it 2-3 times a week. It was over $3/qt in the late 60's and the race car had a 10 qt system in it. We normally changed it along with the filters every race day, which was usually 3 times a week, F, S, and S with an occasional W oncew a month or so. We always changed the duel filters when we changed the oil. I just used some of the oil we drained from the race car in my normal street car. LOL Since 71, I've used Kendall GT. The weight depending on the season, where I was, and what I was going to be doing. I always changed it every 3,000 miles and never had any problems with the race car or street cars. I gave up driving the race cars in 95 following a dream that I interpreted as a preminition and haven't driven one since then..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum