Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Iowa National Guard F16 fighter unit to be replaced by drones...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Iowa National Guard F16 fighter unit to be replaced by drones... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTlOnhB92IuZrfhr9P7FJOryySbN47xKSSLIB87g7X0HBtQ5k

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013301240086

What the hell do we need drones in the middle of the country for?

What enemies are in striking distance of a drone based in Iowa?

Does the government plan to attack Canada or someone inside the borders of the US?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3sURDS4IA

Smile

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

No the Illuminati is training the Taliban in Pakistan ta fly em to get us southern gun owners....

TEOTWAWKI wrote:No the Illuminati is training the Taliban in Pakistan ta fly em to get us southern gun owners....

Iowa National Guard F16 fighter unit to be replaced by drones... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6sRR5ijO-yG4otu4nUy5e5NVG7OWZYDpSRTMUeFefbyKCqoKh

You damn southern boys and gals are always causing trouble.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff58W_m2ipk

Rolling Eyes

Damaged Eagle wrote:Iowa National Guard F16 fighter unit to be replaced by drones... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTlOnhB92IuZrfhr9P7FJOryySbN47xKSSLIB87g7X0HBtQ5k

Does the government plan to attack Canada or someone inside the borders of the US?

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Son, you need some "edumakayshun".

There are already a lot of "drone units" stationed in the US. That doesn't mean that the aircraft are actually at the bases. Reaper, Predator and Global Hawk aircraft can be stationed across the pond and their operators can be here in the states. That's ALL I am saying.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Son, you need some "edumakayshun".

There are already a lot of "drone units" stationed in the US. That doesn't mean that the aircraft are actually at the bases. Reaper, Predator and Global Hawk aircraft can be stationed across the pond and their operators can be here in the states. That's ALL I am saying.

Iowa National Guard F16 fighter unit to be replaced by drones... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

If you read the article I posted you'd find out that the F-16 squadron is being replaced by drones.

My understanding is that a drones effective range of flight is a one thousand mile radius. The only country within a thousand miles of Iowa is Canada. So I felt my questions were pertinent. I'd rather have the F-16 squadron with some human pilots in the cockpit here in the middle of nowhere or if they want they could upgrade the squadron to some F-22's or 35's. Just sayin'.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

The Viking

The Viking

Drones to delete Mexican drug cartels...I like it.

\m/ (-_-) \m/

Damaged Eagle wrote:

Iowa National Guard F16 fighter unit to be replaced by drones... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

If you read the article I posted you'd find out that the F-16 squadron is being replaced by drones.

My understanding is that a drones effective range of flight is a one thousand mile radius. The only country within a thousand miles of Iowa is Canada. So I felt my questions were pertinent. I'd rather have the F-16 squadron with some human pilots in the cockpit here in the middle of nowhere or if they want they could upgrade the squadron to some F-22's or 35's. Just sayin'.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

If you read my post, the drones are not necessarily at the BASE where the crews that operate them are stationed. Figure it out. You don't have a clue about SATCOM or anything do you? The F-35 is a POS. Read some about it. The only reason it is still around is because the main contractor has subcontracted nearly all of its parts to most of the 50 state union and that means jobs.

*** A squadron of drones is NOT always where the unit is located. Drones are where ISR is going based on cost to operate, time on station 24/7/365, and replacement cost if lost. I can promise you we are running stuff in the Sandbox right now from stateside locations except for the takeoff and landings.

The Viking wrote:Drones to delete Mexican drug cartels...I like it.

\m/ (-_-) \m/

With a Pred or Reaper, easily done.

The Viking

The Viking

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
The Viking wrote:Drones to delete Mexican drug cartels...I like it.

\m/ (-_-) \m/

With a Pred or Reaper, easily done.

Mildly surprised they haven't started it already. War on drugs, my ass...

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

If you read my post, the drones are not necessarily at the BASE where the crews that operate them are stationed. Figure it out. You don't have a clue about SATCOM or anything do you? The F-35 is a POS. Read some about it. The only reason it is still around is because the main contractor has subcontracted nearly all of its parts to most of the 50 state union and that means jobs.

*** A squadron of drones is NOT always where the unit is located. Drones are where ISR is going based on cost to operate, time on station 24/7/365, and replacement cost if lost. I can promise you we are running stuff in the Sandbox right now from stateside locations except for the takeoff and landings.

I believe we are talking about the mission here and not where the equipment is stationed. The role of the F-16 is completely different than that of the drones. How can a squadron of Reapers or Predators replace a squadron of Falcons. You certainly did not see the drones replace squadrons of F-15s did you? No they were replaced by an aircraft that has the same mission capability, the F-22.

Seems we had a discussion about this topic earlier and people said I was stupid to think that a drone would replace fighter pilots.

Granted I doubt that squadron gets in to many dog fights in Iowa but nonetheless they are being replaced with drones (A.K.A UAVs)

2seaoat

Seems we had a discussion about this topic earlier and people said I was stupid to think that a drone would replace fighter pilots.

Yep. I think I am the one who said that anybody who thinks that we will be replacing our pilots with drones is wrong. I stand by my comments. We will have increasing proportions of our assets going to assets which do not require pilots, but the manned aircraft will continue to be the backbone of our defense for the next 25 years. In regards to a limitation on how far a drone can fly.......they are refueling them in the air currently....they have few restrictions on their range.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

I'm well aware of satellite capabilities. My specialty in the military was electronics for communications; UHF, HF, VHF, & SATCOM: Specifically NAVMACS V2-5); IFF, and a variety of other communications, radar, global positioning, etc... systems. Which is why I choose Physics as a major in college when I left the service. However...

...If the drones aren't based here in Iowa then as GR says they are not doing the same mission as the F-16's were. So your point about their mission means that Iowa lost the defensive capabilities that were in place to protect it. On the other hand if the drones are stationed in Iowa then the questions from my initial post stand.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

I believe we are talking about the mission here and not where the equipment is stationed. The role of the F-16 is completely different than that of the drones. How can a squadron of Reapers or Predators replace a squadron of Falcons. You certainly did not see the drones replace squadrons of F-15s did you? No they were replaced by an aircraft that has the same mission capability, the F-22.

The only thing that matters to the people in the unit losing the planes and the city around the base where the new tech and unit will be located is J-O-B-S.

Depending upon the model/block of the F-16 being replaced, it was probably more cost effective to just change the mission period. It is fortunate in this day and age to not be a victim of a RIF or BRAC and be given a new mission to do which supports millions of dollars in jobs. The idea to replace the F-16s didn't come down to getting an identical airframe. It came down to the needs of the Air Force overall.

Damaged Eagle wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

I'm well aware of satellite capabilities. My specialty in the military was electronics for communications; UHF, HF, VHF, & SATCOM: Specifically NAVMACS V2-5); IFF, and a variety of other communications, radar, global positioning, etc... systems. Which is why I choose Physics as a major in college when I left the service. However...

...If the drones aren't based here in Iowa then as GR says they are not doing the same mission as the F-16's were. So your point about their mission means that Iowa lost the defensive capabilities that were in place to protect it. On the other hand if the drones are stationed in Iowa then the questions from my initial post stand.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

There are people way above either of our paygrades making these decisions. They don't flip a coin to do it either. Needs of the service and the mission to remain relevant are the things that matter. How do you know that the former mission isn't being covered by another base elsewhere?

2seaoat wrote:Seems we had a discussion about this topic earlier and people said I was stupid to think that a drone would replace fighter pilots.

Yep. I think I am the one who said that anybody who thinks that we will be replacing our pilots with drones is wrong. I stand by my comments. We will have increasing proportions of our assets going to assets which do not require pilots, but the manned aircraft will continue to be the backbone of our defense for the next 25 years. In regards to a limitation on how far a drone can fly.......they are refueling them in the air currently....they have few restrictions on their range.

Someone will always find a way to jam or disable a remote controlled device.

I don't see pilots ever being removed completely from the cockpit.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****SMILE*****

Smile

*****SMILE*****

Smile

There are people way above either of our paygrades making these decisions. They don't flip a coin to do it either. Needs of the service and the mission to remain relevant are the things that matter. How do you know that the former mission isn't being covered by another base elsewhere?

My paygrade is civilian nowadays.

No more fighting for king and country for me. Those supposedly enlightened progressive liberal women in college that hoped I'd get recalled can go into combat first if the government ever reinstates the draft. Which explains my personal feelings about women in combat and being required to sign for selective service. (ANSWER: No one ever asked that specific question as to why I felt that way and now they know the last reason why I don't give a damn about someones little girl being required to serve.)

If a different base is doing it then it has to be SAC AFB in Omaha, Neb.

But the news over the years has been that they've been cut too.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum