Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

EgoPo Theater Co. to Stage Uncle Tom’s Cabin—With White Slaves

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2013/01/29/philadelphia-egopo-theater-stage-uncle-toms-cabin-white/

Further complicating the matter is Savadove’s decision to swap races in the casting process. In other words, white actors will play slaves while black actors will play their owners.

I talked to one white actor who plans to audition for the show, even though his concerns are “numerous.” The actor, who asked to remain anonymous, points out that many of the stereotypes commonly associated with black culture can be traced back to Uncle Tom, from the “Aunt Jemima” figure to the hyper-educated, very proper black man.

“Those stereotypes were built off of white characterizations of blacks,” he says. “I don’t know how having white actors playing black characters introduces anything new to this story. I sincerely hope that there is an artistic objective beyond being edgy for the sake of being edgy.”

But his biggest and “admittedly selfish” concern is the dialect and language that he’ll be expected to use.

Hidden agenda? thoughts all..

The Viking

The Viking

Chrissy wrote:http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2013/01/29/philadelphia-egopo-theater-stage-uncle-toms-cabin-white/

Further complicating the matter is Savadove’s decision to swap races in the casting process. In other words, white actors will play slaves while black actors will play their owners.

I talked to one white actor who plans to audition for the show, even though his concerns are “numerous.” The actor, who asked to remain anonymous, points out that many of the stereotypes commonly associated with black culture can be traced back to Uncle Tom, from the “Aunt Jemima” figure to the hyper-educated, very proper black man.

“Those stereotypes were built off of white characterizations of blacks,” he says. “I don’t know how having white actors playing black characters introduces anything new to this story. I sincerely hope that there is an artistic objective beyond being edgy for the sake of being edgy.”

But his biggest and “admittedly selfish” concern is the dialect and language that he’ll be expected to use.

Hidden agenda? thoughts all..

Fuck me dead...

Sounds like another attempt by the apologists to right a 150 year old "wrong"....

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum