Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Careless Yellow Bus Drivers

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Careless Yellow Bus Drivers Empty Careless Yellow Bus Drivers 1/10/2013, 10:55 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

It is bad enough that Escambia County has one of the lowest-quality school districts in Florida. Our school bus drivers are not very good either. This afternoon, the wife and I were traveling south on Patricia Drive, in route to the NEX complex at Corry Station, when a school bus turned north on Patricia and was splitting the yellow line down the middle as it hurtled up the road to go pick up its students (likely at Bellview Middle/Elementary). I thought we were going to have to pull off the road to avoid the bus, when it finally pulled into its lane, allowing us to pass safely without interference. As it passed us, we noticed the lady driving it was busy yakking on her cell phone.

I wondered aloud why school bus drivers were allowed to talk on cell phones while driving their busses. We got home in the early evening, and after dinner, I did some Googling and found the email address for the head of the ECSD Transportation Department. I sent Mr. Doss an email and reported what I considered to be careless driving on his bus driver's part. I could not give him a bus number, however.

About an hour later, I logged into my email address, and surprisingly found a personal reply from Mr. Doss. He told me his drivers are prohibited from talking on cell phones while driving their busses. He said they would use GPS tracks and on-board camera footage to find out who the offending driver was, since I could not give him the bus number. He cc'd three of his subordinates on his reply to me, so this seemed to be an important issue to him.

So, I guess it behooves ECSD bus drivers to drive safely and within the constraints of internal regulations and the law, or they could get busted.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2Careless Yellow Bus Drivers Empty Re: Careless Yellow Bus Drivers 1/10/2013, 11:01 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:It is bad enough that Escambia County has one of the lowest-quality school districts in Florida. Our school bus drivers are not very good either. This afternoon, the wife and I were traveling south on Patricia Drive, in route to the NEX complex at Corry Station, when a school bus turned north on Patricia and was splitting the yellow line down the middle as it hurtled up the road to go pick up its students (likely at Bellview Middle/Elementary). I thought we were going to have to pull off the road to avoid the bus, when it finally pulled into its lane, allowing us to pass safely without interference. As it passed us, we noticed the lady driving it was busy yakking on her cell phone.

I wondered aloud why school bus drivers were allowed to talk on cell phones while driving their busses. We got home in the early evening, and after dinner, I did some Googling and found the email address for the head of the ECSD Transportation Department. I sent Mr. Doss an email and reported what I considered to be careless driving on his bus driver's part. I could not give him a bus number, however.

About an hour later, I logged into my email address, and surprisingly found a personal reply from Mr. Doss. He told me his drivers are prohibited from talking on cell phones while driving their busses. He said they would use GPS tracks and on-board camera footage to find out who the offending driver was, since I could not give him the bus number. He cc'd three of his subordinates on his reply to me, so this seemed to be an important issue to him.

So, I guess it behooves ECSD bus drivers to drive safely and within the constraints of internal regulations and the law, or they could get busted.

Glad you reported it.

3Careless Yellow Bus Drivers Empty Re: Careless Yellow Bus Drivers 1/10/2013, 11:03 pm

All of this rant from Mr. General COURTS MARSHALL!!!!!

4Careless Yellow Bus Drivers Empty Re: Careless Yellow Bus Drivers 1/11/2013, 2:52 am

What on earth was that bus driver thinking? They have never been allowed to talk on cell phones while driving, not even for an emergency. They are to use only the radio. Imagine the potential lawsuits if that bus were involved in an accident while the driver was on a cell phone!

5Careless Yellow Bus Drivers Empty Re: Careless Yellow Bus Drivers 1/11/2013, 4:34 am

2seaoat

I have no problem with Bus drivers having cell phones on a school bus.....just not when the bus is moving....there are plenty of inexpensive blocking mechanisms for stopping this risky behavior. The school district should not hesitate putting blocking on each bus, and not wait until a rule is broken and children are hurt.

6Careless Yellow Bus Drivers Empty Re: Careless Yellow Bus Drivers 1/11/2013, 10:46 am

PACEDOG#1 wrote:All of this rant from Mr. General COURTS MARSHALL!!!!!

Now wait just a second, this sounds as if you are placing the safety of our children above your contempt for another poster. How quaint of your PD!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum