Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Old Pensacola Bay Postcards

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/27/2012, 11:50 pm

Yella

Yella

Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Pensac10

My daughter found these old prints. I thought somebody would be interested.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

2Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/27/2012, 11:52 pm

Thanks Mr Yella!! You know I like the Old Pensacola stuff.

3Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/28/2012, 12:12 am

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:Thanks Mr Yella!! You know I like the Old Pensacola stuff.

What street do you think is pictured, hallmark?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

4Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/28/2012, 1:00 am

I dont know the tall building has me confused. If that is city hall then it would be east of Palafox. It appears that maybe it is showing the rear of some of the buildings. My Grandmother said they used to hitch their horses and such in the rear of building and not the front. I dont know, just guessing.

5Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/28/2012, 1:07 am

NEAT, Yeller! Thanks for sharing this. I've always found Pensacola's history to be really fascinating.

6Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/28/2012, 1:47 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

hallmarkgrad wrote:I dont know the tall building has me confused. If that is city hall then it would be east of Palafox. It appears that maybe it is showing the rear of some of the buildings. My Grandmother said they used to hitch their horses and such in the rear of building and not the front. I dont know, just guessing.

I think it is the court house. So it would be Palafox st.

7Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/28/2012, 4:52 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

I think it is the court house. So it would be Palafox st.
Yes and catty-corner from the courthouse you can see Plaza Ferdinand (which is referred to on the postcard).

8Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/28/2012, 7:25 am

You all are correct. I saw the old pictures of city hall the other day now I try to put it in every picture I see. I dont think any of the other streets were that wide. I over thought it. Great picture even if I was wrong. lol

9Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/28/2012, 9:05 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That 1st picture is sometime before 1909 because there is no Empire Building in it.

10Old Pensacola Bay Postcards Empty Re: Old Pensacola Bay Postcards 12/29/2012, 12:40 am

My dad went through flight training in the mid-1930's and they rolled Curtis biplanes out of the Navy hangars by the water... into the water, then took off the wheels (I think). Then they took off and landed in the bay.

When he got his wings, he was stationed on the USS Pennsylvania and would take off on a catapult on the ship (a battleship) and land in the water. The ship would pull up beside him and lower a hook and pick him and his plane out with a crane. He said if you ever got your hand in between the hook and the lift ring on the plane, it was bye-bye hand.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum