Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anybody here ever rode on a Segway?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ever since Dean Kamen hyped that thing in the beginning I've been wanting to ride on one. And tonight the local shop that rents them is gonna let people do 5 minute rides on them at Gallery Night and I'll finally get my chance.

Yella

Yella

We will probably soon see where the Pentagon has ordered 10,000 Segways for combat infantrymen to use in bringing democracy to Lower Slobovia at the price of $17,00 each from General Dynamics.

Has anybody here ever rode on a Segway? Rhan1411

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I got to ride it. It's easy to learn to maneuver and is a blast to ride.

Why dont you buy one? I have great piece of art work I could trade you for it...Frame included.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:Ever since Dean Kamen hyped that thing in the beginning I've been wanting to ride on one. And tonight the local shop that rents them is gonna let people do 5 minute rides on them at Gallery Night and I'll finally get my chance.

I remember, it was going to be the biggest thing since the wheel and change transportation forever. Trouble is, few people wanted to spend what a decent used car would cost to buy one.

They also seemed so easy to steal.

I...borrowed one at the huge convention hall in Chicago once years ago. I can't remember the name of the hall, it's within sight and walking distance to Soldiers Stadium, home field for the Chicago Bears. Two of them were just sitting there outside one of the huge halls. There was a group of us and...well you know how those things go. Two of us borrowed them for about a half hour and brought them back. We were ready to cut and run for an elevator if anyone came in chase. No one seemed to have missed them which was a little disappointing. They were a blast after you got used to them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:Why dont you buy one? I have great piece of art work I could trade you for it...Frame included.
I'll take it under consideration but I'll need to get an art expert to examine it to make sure it's authentic. It appears to be original but I've been burnt by fakes before.

Bob wrote:
hallmarkgrad wrote:Why dont you buy one? I have great piece of art work I could trade you for it...Frame included.
I'll take it under consideration but I'll need to get an art expert to examine it to make sure it's authentic. It appears to be original but I've been burnt by fakes before.

Understood. How about Mr "Red" Cotton to verify the worth of my Masterpiece?"

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 11/16/2012, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:

I remember, it was going to be the biggest thing since the wheel and change transportation forever.
Kamen believed they would be so popular that we would build whole communities around them. But that never came to fruition and without that they don't really mix well with pedestrians on sidewalks or auto traffic on streets so the applications for them are just too limited.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

hallmarkgrad wrote:

Understood. How about Mr "Red" Cotton?
I think if we showed Red the white painting or the red/orange/blue painting he'd probably value both of them the same, don't you. lol

Yella

Yella

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:Ever since Dean Kamen hyped that thing in the beginning I've been wanting to ride on one. And tonight the local shop that rents them is gonna let people do 5 minute rides on them at Gallery Night and I'll finally get my chance.

I remember, it was going to be the biggest thing since the wheel and change transportation forever. Trouble is, few people wanted to spend what a decent used car would cost to buy one.

They also seemed so easy to steal.

I...borrowed one at the huge convention hall in Chicago once years ago. I can't remember the name of the hall, it's within sight and walking distance to Soldiers Stadium, home field for the Chicago Bears. Two of them were just sitting there outside one of the huge halls. There was a group of us and...well you know how those things go. Two of us borrowed them for about a half hour and brought them back. We were ready to cut and run for an elevator if anyone came in chase. No one seemed to have missed them which was a little disappointing. They were a blast after you got used to them.

They would be cool for art museum,zoos, and what not where you gotta walk to see everything.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

His father was the Ice man and they lived on Romano not far from me. Talk about coming a long ways. Be interesting to know his net worth. Of course that would be impossible to even guess.

Bluebonnet

Segue....

You didn't go on your segway, Bob?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

What are the things the security people ride at the mall? They look like Segway's but...? They also look dangerous to pedestrians.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:
What are the things the security people ride at the mall? They look like Segway's but...? They also look dangerous to pedestrians.
Those are indeed Segways.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Those are indeed Segways.

I don't even want to think about the Christmas rush and the crowds of people swarming the mall. Someone is going to get hurt...probably a kid.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:

I remember, it was going to be the biggest thing since the wheel and change transportation forever.
Kamen believed they would be so popular that we would build whole communities around them. But that never came to fruition and without that they don't really mix well with pedestrians on sidewalks or auto traffic on streets so the applications for them are just too limited.

True. I've seen them put to good use in giant warehouses and exhibition halls but not much else other than a really expensive toy.

Seems like it ranks up there with the Edsel and New Coke.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum