Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coburn's 'Waste Book' details $19 billion in eye-opening government expenses

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/15/coburn-waste-book-details-1-billion-in-eye-opening-government-expenses/

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

He left out harry rieds gay cowboy poet society that he said would be heartless for congress to cut funding to.
We need gay cowboy poets funded with tax dollars. Don't we?
Surely that is more important than killing muslims before they kill us.

maybe that isn't the kind of money that adds to the debt... maybe that's from the federal reserve printing press?

Question

knothead

knothead

Tom Coburn enjoys widespread respect from both sides of the aisle setting him apart from the vast majority of his colleagues, therefore, I applaud his list that begins a process of looking under rocks for waste/fraud/stupidity. The left has no monopoly on these wasteful stupid practices as the right protects their tax breaks that equally stupid and pathetic. It is a beginning so I say Thanks to Senator Coburn.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

knothead wrote:Tom Coburn enjoys widespread respect from both sides of the aisle setting him apart from the vast majority of his colleagues, therefore, I applaud his list that begins a process of looking under rocks for waste/fraud/stupidity. The left has no monopoly on these wasteful stupid practices as the right protects their tax breaks that equally stupid and pathetic. It is a beginning so I say Thanks to Senator Coburn.

Very well said.

There will be little said about this. Most on the left here do not care about budgets and such. money grows on trees(or printing presses) and it resides in the bank accounts of only rich people of which it is thier right to withdraw at any time as they see fit or deem as a "right".

knothead

knothead

Rogue wrote:There will be little said about this. Most on the left here do not care about budgets and such. money grows on trees(or printing presses) and it resides in the bank accounts of only rich people of which it is thier right to withdraw at any time as they see fit or deem as a "right".

With all due respect Chrissy, your characterization regarding your views of the 'left' are just that, your views. You could at least allude to the fact that many on the 'right' are guilty of these views as well. Your comment is hyperbole trying to throw gas on the flames of divisiveness which accomplishes what? Nothing.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

"Congress is 2012’s biggest waste of taxpayer money according to Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), a budget hawk who each year releases a “Wastebook” detailing government’s worst examples of excessive spending.

In this year’s list, Coburn notes that Congress — one half of which is controlled by his own party — is on track to be the least productive since 1947. It has approved only 61 laws this year, and Coburn says the $132 million spent to run Congress has been a waste.

Coburn has been working with a bipartisan group of senators known as the Gang of Eight in an effort to forge a deficit-reduction plan, and has authored his own plan to cut the deficit by $9 trillion.

Coburn, who has pushed his party to eliminate tax breaks he sees as wasteful spending, identifies spending provisions and tax breaks that if eliminated could save $18 billion.

As you look at these examples, put your personal political persuasion aside and ask yourself: Would you agree with Washington that these represent national priorities, or would you conclude these reflect the out-of-touch and out-of-control spending threatening to bankrupt our nation’s future?” Coburn asks."

Agreed, it is bipartisan. I take a lot of heat here for fighting tax increases, but the government is the only entity I can think of where abuse and mismanagement are rewarded by bonuses and pay increases.

knothead wrote:
Rogue wrote:There will be little said about this. Most on the left here do not care about budgets and such. money grows on trees(or printing presses) and it resides in the bank accounts of only rich people of which it is thier right to withdraw at any time as they see fit or deem as a "right".

With all due respect Chrissy, your characterization regarding your views of the 'left' are just that, your views. You could at least allude to the fact that many on the 'right' are guilty of these views as well. Your comment is hyperbole trying to throw gas on the flames of divisiveness which accomplishes what? Nothing.

Knothead.

Most times I play by the rules set forth by the other side. In other words I use thier own rules against them. Most dont see that I do that. So when I see the other side here being fair, I will be fair and have that discussion as I have shown that I can do.

But since you approach the subject so equally. Yes the right has thier "pork" spending. They also have thier constituents to please. With that said, the right usually isnt as free with the tax payer wallet as the left.

knothead

knothead

Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:

Knothead.

Most times I play by the rules set forth by the other side. In other words I use thier own rules against them. Most dont see that I do that. So when I see the other side here being fair, I will be fair and have that discussion as I have shown that I can do.

But since you approach the subject so equally. Yes the right has thier "pork" spending. They also have thier constituents to please. With that said, the right usually isnt as free with the tax payer wallet as the left.

Totally disagree Chrissy. To Wit: Romney is proposing spending TWO TRILLION DOLLARS in the DOD budget that they have not requested, has he become a four star General during the primary? I think not. This is a contemporary example of the right feeding into the neocon dogma at taxpayer expense. The MIC lives mightily in politics and Romney will be chawing at the bit to spend more money unnecessarily that we do no have to serve their constituency. Get it? Both sides are guilty as sin and that is, therefore, why we are broke.

knothead wrote:
Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:

Knothead.

Totally disagree Chrissy. To Wit: Romney is proposing spending TWO TRILLION DOLLARS in the DOD budget that they have not requested, has he become a four star General during the primary? I think not. This is a contemporary example of the right feeding into the neocon dogma at taxpayer expense. The MIC lives mightily in politics and Romney will be chawing at the bit to spend more money unnecessarily that we do no have to serve their constituency. Get it? Both sides are guilty as sin and that is, therefore, why we are broke.

I think history would prove that what I said is correct.

I dont know exactly what romney will do, he has ideas and thats all they are. No one can really say exactly how they will impliment anything till they get all the information. Romney first of all is NO neocon. so I dont know who's been filling your head with those lies, probaly both sides the left to demonize him and romney to get that part of the republican base. He's a moderate at best.

The only thing I do know right now for exactly sure. Is that obama has failed and needs to be fired. And he doesnt have any idea of what he is doing. He's a fake.

knothead

knothead

Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:
Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:

Knothead.

I dont know exactly what romney will do, he has ideas and thats all they are. No one can really say exactly how they will impliment anything till they get all the information. Romney first of all is NO neocon. so I dont know who's been filling your head with those lies, probaly both sides the left to demonize him and romney to get that part of the republican base. He's a moderate at best.

The only thing I do know right now for exactly sure. Is that obama has failed and needs to be fired. And he doesnt have any idea of what he is doing. He's a fake.

Again I disagree but as citizens we can do that without being venomous. Thanks for your views . . . .

knothead wrote:
Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:
Rogue wrote:
knothead wrote:

Knothead.

Again I disagree but as citizens we can do that without being venomous. Thanks for your views . . . .

I would like to bring back the line item veto.

i disagree... let the process work. we need to start turning the manure at every level.

PkrBum wrote:i disagree... let the process work. we need to start turning the manure at every level.

why would you be against a line item veto?

That seems like it would allow bills to be passed without having to give into special pork incertions.

I admit, you may know moe about line item veto, so please explain it to me why you feel that way.

because legislation usually contains a load of crap... it was intended to be an extended, contentious, pragmatic exercise. it's not supposed to be easy. the problem i see is that no matter which side is in control... the results are practically the same. i think term limits or a serious citizen initiative to vote out career politicians would serve us better.

PkrBum wrote:because legislation usually contains a load of crap... it was intended to be an extended, contentious, pragmatic exercise. it's not supposed to be easy. the problem i see is that no matter which side is in control... the results are practically the same. i think term limits or a serious citizen initiative to vote out career politicians would serve us better.

I see. I have to disagree with the line item veto, I dont think having it would make things easy. we have two very different pilosophies in our gov. but I do agree with you on term limits.

how in the world do we get our gov to vote themselves term limits is a big question.

our gov is so out of control on so many levels. all sides.

the power they keep giving themselves and taking away from us is down right scary.

imagine the scramble for power if every politician at every level had one chance to impress us... or they would fail at election to the next level. the reps to reach the highest levels would be firmly attached to their constituents... not corps or banks or unions. i don't have any pipe dreams this is possible... just a thght in the dark.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum