Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

lThe State of the union

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1lThe State of the union Empty lThe State of the union 3/8/2024, 4:55 pm

bigdog

Best speech Joe Biden has ever given. I hope it soothes some nerves of those who have been so obsessed about his age. There is nothing senile about Joe and he showed the Republicans that last night. Trump, meanwhile, is welcoming another dictator into Maralago today. Why the hell do the Maga people not get it. I was a Republican once, but I learned better.
Hey, the governor of Alabama signed a bill today paying people to home school their kids. I guess the folks in Alabama just weren't quite dumb enough for her.

Floridatexan, RealLindaL and zsomething like this post

2lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/8/2024, 6:07 pm

zsomething

Yep, Biden did a great job. That should shut down all the babble about him being "dementia-ridden" or "slow" or whatever. O' course it won't, because that fake image of Biden was always stagecraft, and they'll count on their base not to have seen the real thing, but... Biden did good, he came through. He got criticized that it was political, like a campaign speech, and I'll admit, that criticism's valid. I also think it doesn't matter too much because Marjorie The Moose showed up with a MAGA hat parked above her piggy little fetal-alcohol-syndrome eyes, and some other clown was wearing a Trump mug-shot shirt, so they already created a political rally atmosphere -- Biden was just meeting them halfway. Fair enough.

The thing I'm delighted about, though, is that response the Republicans put out. Oh my freaking god, that was the craziest, CREEPIEST thing I've seen in forever. I keep wondering if I didn't DREAM it.

Every day Republicans find some new way to humiliate themselves, or drag out some new "rising star" who ends up being a total embarrassment.

And if Katie Britt is their new "rising star," man, they just don't HAVE one! Laughing

First off... Good LORD that was creepy. Just spooky as finding a skull-faced witch under your bed. I watch horror movies all the time, I write horror, and I haven’t seen anything that creepy in a LONG time. I literally expected the Blumhouse or A24 logo to come up at the end because that usually happens after I’ve watched a horror movie trailer.

The eeriest thing are the implications, though.

Look, it's pretty clear that Republicans have constructed an alternate reality that they live in. It's like a religious sect, isolated from the rest of the world, because they want to believe a bunch of crazy things and they NEED them and don't want the truth impinging on it. They have their own "news," they send their kids to special conservative Christian schools (I unfortunately had to go to one), they train their believers that the "mainstream media" (i.e. any and everything that isn't manufactured by their cult) is all lies, they rely exclusively on websites and YouTube channels to control everything they see and hear, they hate Hollywood and guys like Ben Shapiro try to start their own media companies so conservatives will never be exposed to anything that's "woke" (i.e. truthful)... etc. It's all to isolate themselves so they don't have to believe anything they don't want to. They have their own Magic Kingdom to live in.

Well, they've been doing this so long and so rigorously that they don't know what "normal" is anymore. They've lost touch. And WOW did that get exposed beyond any doubt last night.

They trotted this extremely creepy weirdo freak out to give a spiel, thinking she was going to appeal to the public. And the fact that they thought "hey, everybody's gonna love her!" proves how far gone they are.

Did I mention that it was super-super creepy? Because it was.

affraid

Republicans are completely out of their minds to advertise that THAT nightmarish being is part of their tent. I kept expecting Katherine Ross to show up and try to stop her.

First, she talked to the audience like they were children. Because that's what Republicans consider their base to be. For good reason. They know they're dealing with idiots so they address them as such. The whole thing was blatantly manipulative, pure "hey, kid, get in the car, I have candy!" vibes.

Then, they put her in a kitchen, because... woman! This is how they view 'em. Mom first, and, oh, isn't it cute, she wants to be a senator. Well, sweetie, don't get carried away with that, remind people that you make sandwiches, Republicans need to know that so they won't feel threatened that maybe you're, I dunno, thinking for yourself or anything.

Also, she was putting on a performance, because EVERYTHING with Republicans is a performance now. It's a televangelist show, it's all play-acting. And her acting was so bad and over the top because that's what conservative audiences are used to now. Ever watch one of those Jeezus moobies that Dean Cain or Kevin Sorbo keep showing up in? There's no subtlety to them, no nuance, because they can't count on their audience to pick up on things like that. It's always really brrrrroaaaaaaad and overly spelled-out and very clumsy. It's geared for people who react to Little House on the Prairie plots like they're Fellini films... they need it all dumbed down. They're not even trying to do it well anymore, because... why bother? The Republican audience is going to claim you did a great job even if you didn't, so don't waste the effort.

Katie Britt went overboard on all that. Jesus F. Christ, did she. I know Saturday Night Live is going to parody this thing... I just don't know HOW they're going to do it. It's already so fucking WEIRD and creepy and insane that there's nowhere for a satire of it to go. It IS satire already... it's just that the Republicans aren't in on their own joke. You cannot make that thing weirder or more humiliating.

And she came across as completely unstable. She was giggling and verging on tears in the same sentences, smiling while she talked about bad things (you could see her little low-watt mind reminding her "I'm between sentences now, SMILE!") and whispering and overacting, suddenly-she's-mad, fourteen-seconds-later-she's-blissful… so FAKE. I can’t believe she wasn’t intended as a parody. I think the whispering was intended to appeal to the ASMR trend, but it was SO fucking creepy. I've seen some creepy ASMR vids, but Katie's was more disturbing and unnerving than THIS one:

And that one was TRYING to be scary.

What kind of platform did that creepazoid run on: “Hi, I’m Katie Britt™: I’m Under Your Bed!” I know most of Alabama’s pretty jacked-up on stupid, but how did they elect THAT? She projects absolute mindlessness, just blank-slate, test-pattern, static-in-the-head empty void. Her head's permanently switched to HDMI 1.

Squeaky Fromme sounded more mentally stable when she would talk about Charlie Manson. Honestly. Katie performed like she chewed through some straps to be there.

The scariest thing, though? It's still that Republicans think that THAT is what appeals to the public. I cannot get around that. They think they're normal. She's creepy as a cobweb-covered doll in an attic, but they're the grinning, glassy-eyed headcase shaking that doll at you and screeching "DON'T YOU LIIIIIIIIKE MAH DOLLY!?! COME PLAY WITH ME!"

My skin’s still crawling just thinking about it. Lord, how can they be THAT crazy? I know they're far gone, I live among 'em, but do they have to keep finding ways to shock me and show me I've given them too much credit?!?

The GOP needs to hide her away and hope the public forgets she exists. Send her back to her old job, selling balloons in a storm drain. Yank the batteries out of her and stick her back in the box, whatever, just don’t subject the country to that again, it’s TOO creepy.

But I hope they won't. I hope the public keeps seeing her, because the more they see her, the clearer it's gonna be that that party is a cult that's gone completely bonkers.

Floridatexan and RealLindaL like this post

3lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/9/2024, 2:06 am

RealLindaL

Nailed it as usual, z, thanks.

As a former career woman in what was traditionally a man's role at the time, I especially concurred in your spot-on analysis regarding the kitchen setting.  How cynically sexist and offensive can the Republicans get?  Rhetorical question, of course. And shame on Ms. Pasted-on-Smile-Sandwich-Maker-Handmaid for allowing herself to be showcased in that venue.  I'm surprised they didn't blatantly proffer a lingering shot of her bare feet.

Floridatexan and zsomething like this post

4lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/9/2024, 4:20 pm

bigdog

Geez Z, why don't you say what you really think? LOL I'm listening to MSNBC right now and the commentator is talking about her speech and he is also using the word creepy. I went to bed after Joe's speech because I knew whatever the repukes said, it couldn't outdo what Joe had just said. I've never given up on Joe but I think some folks were beginning to. I think it is now a much closer race.
They said his fundraising went wild after the speech. I did my part to help out.
All that money coming in is a good omen.

Floridatexan, RealLindaL and zsomething like this post

5lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/10/2024, 12:03 pm

RealLindaL

I thought SNL's bit last night, with Scarlett Johansson parodying Sen. Katie Britt (only in Alabama), was very funny/scary (read: creepy). Catch it if you haven't.

Floridatexan, zsomething and bigdog like this post

6lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/10/2024, 2:24 pm

bigdog

I saw that last night. She was great. I usually watch the opening of SNL and the news review about halfway through. The sketches just aren't as funny as they used to be, so we forward fast by them. I guess old age must have hit my husband and me.Or, and it's just a possibility, that they really just are not as funny anymore. I like that explanation better. Very Happy

7lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/10/2024, 2:51 pm

RealLindaL

IMHO they're definitely not as funny, BD. I, too, fast forward through most of the show, when I bother to watch at all any more.

8lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/11/2024, 10:45 am

zsomething

Saturday Night Live did great, although they had a hard job ahead of 'em.  It's almost impossible to parody that thing, because whatever they do to make fun of it, the real thing's going to be even creepier and weirder.

Turns out Britt's story was very misleading, too - https://www.yahoo.com/news/sex-trafficking-victim-says-sen-022608944.html  It happened under George W. Bush's administration, not Biden's, and it happened in Mexico so it wouldn't really be Dubya's fault, either.  Also it was a pimp, not drug cartels (not that I would put it past them, but, still, facts matter), and the woman spoke to a group, not to Britt personally.  

So, basically, just another Republican liar wearing a cross.  With diamonds on it.  Weird enough that a religion's symbol is a torture device, it's even stranger to make it look "rich."

Also... wouldn't that woman's story be a reason why we should let immigrants into the country? If they're trying to escape from horrible gang rape like that... who's trying to keep them out? She made a really good case for why these people are refugees fleeing a horrible situation and we should find a way to help them. I know she meant it as anti-immigrant, but if you really examine it at all, with any compassion whatsoever, it's a lot more powerful the other way.

Another fun thing -- that weird way she was talking?   Apparently there's a term for it:  fundie baby voice.  https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice?utm_campaign=post_embed   I've also heard that in real life a lot but I didn't know it had a name.  

After my dad died my mom got re-married to a former preacher.  I like the guy, he's laid back and not pushy with his beliefs, I get along well with him, but after meeting them a few times, I stay away from his family.  He's not a right-winger, but his family are... like, entrenched, they work with the Pickerings (and you should hear the way Republicans talk about their base... massive contempt).  Anyway, I avoid them because they give me the creeps. There's this weird superficial glaze to 'em.

One of his daughters is kinda cool (she's a dog trainer and has her own thing going, isn't super-religious, has things to talk about) but the other is deeply into "fundie baby voice."  My mom has to be around her a lot and she has a hard time talking to that woman because she's absolutely mindless and performative, all the time.  She's nice enough and all, I don't think she's a bad person, but the few times I've been around her my skin's crawled.   She overreacts to everything and it's very difficult to find anything to talk to her about because she doesn't seem to know anything, and won't assert herself to do anything beyond reacting to what you say to her.  Conversations with her are basically just her asking endless questions and whatever you say she'll gush that it's just WONDERFUL that you do that, pretty much no matter what it is.  

"So what do you like to do on weekends?"

"Oh, I read a lot."

" *gasp!* That is GREAT, reading is WONDERFUL!  It's GREAT that you read, oh, I LOVE reading, reading is SO GOOD!"

"So what do you like to read?"

"Oh, I don't read much... but I MEAN to!   I'd really LIKE to!"

That kind of thing.  Nothing evil at all,  she's trying way too hard to be "nice" and I appreciate that, but it's more of an endurance test than a conversation.  I always get the feeling that if I said, "Oh, I like to juggle cats" she'd say that cat-juggling is just WONDERFUL...

My co-worker's sister-in-law is the same way.  She talks to everyone like they're a child, and it's spooky.  Granted, she has eleven kids so I don't know if she gets to talk to anyone adult very often, but... well, y'know how the Japanese used to do that weird "foot-binding" thing, where they wrapped women's feet really tightly while they were growing, to deform them?   You get the feeling that somebody did that to her mind.

Here's a harsh fact:  evangelical men are typically very weak men in most ways.  They tend to be afraid of women, so their women get trained to be docile and project "harmlessness," like a dog showing it's belly so they won't be threatening. They talk to everyone the way they would a skittish animal they're trying not to spook, or a very small child, because that's how their men want to be treated.  They project this "don't worry, I'm not going to assert myself, I'm not going to challenge your opinions with any of my own" thing.  I can't imagine living with that, it seems like it'd be an incredible bore, but, it's what they want. They want what they call "trad-wives" -- stay in the kitchen, vacuum the floor, don't "usurp authority over men" (god, I hear that one from my fundie co-worker a lot, when she refuses to stand up to her bullying brother).

And that's what Katie Britt was playing to.  Since Republicans like that, they figured the rest of the country would, too... but like a lot of things in the Republican bubble, it comes across  as super-creepy to the world outside it.

I still wanna know if that was REALLY her kitchen, because if it was... that's even creepier, at least to me.  Now, I'm a really lousy housekeeper, I admit, you can't find my countertops and that's probably abnormal in the other direction, but... who has NOTHING on their countertops?  Especially in a house with two teenagers in it?  Now, I understand she'd have straightened up for TV, but surely there'd be something around.  It looked like a showroom picture out of a catalog.  Nobody lives there...

9lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/12/2024, 9:20 am

zsomething

Found another fella who saw the same thing I did, but maybe says it better:
https://jaredyatessexton.substack.com/p/the-deep-weird-consequences-of-the

The Deep Weird: Consequences of the Rabbit Hole

We're incredibly fortunate that the GOP is so weird. We need to take advantage of that before that weird becomes normal
Jared Yates Sexton
Mar 8, 2024

Do me a favor.

Take 17 minutes out of your day to watch Senator Katie Britt’s response to President Joe Biden’s State of the Union.

Listen. Maybe not even 17 minutes. But a few minutes. Do me a favor. Put down your phone, maximize the video. Take a deep breath. And then, as you hit play, do what Britt is asking you to do and imagine you’re sitting down across from her at her kitchen table.

I’ll wait.

Woof.

The reaction this morning to Britt’s response has been brutal. People continue to point out how bizarre and upsetting it is, comparing it to The Stepford Wives or The Handmaid’s Tale. There’s a reason for that. And there’s something important to glean from this performance.

If you did as I asked and fully imagined yourself seated across from Britt at her kitchen table, what you likely felt was a sense of panic. Horror, even. Both The Stepford Wives and The Handmaid’s Tale rely on a key aspect of horror in which you, as viewer or reader, are brought into a world that, at first glance, seems somewhat normal or commonplace, only to realize, with building terror, that something is very, very wrong.

Britt’s response brings the weird. It begins with the internalized misogyny of location mixed with her quick declaration that “wife and mother” are her most important jobs. That, on the surface, isn’t particularly threatening, but when coupled with what comes next and in addition to her membership to a party that is aggressively dismantling any progress at women’s equality, the sinister energy floods in.

It’s a performance straight out of a domestic horror movie. At times it’s conversational, then heightened with uncontrolled spikes in panic, certainty, indignity, and righteousness. What is being communicated, beneath the rhetoric, is that we are interacting with an unwell person who is dangerous. Our natural instincts rebel against the situation. We don’t want to sit in the chair anymore. We want to run. To escape. To flee in exactly the same way you could imagine someone throwing back this chair and then running for the door with Britt following closely behind. The door is locked. She’s pursuing slowly.

And it’s because you’ve fallen into an alternate reality. As opposed to a nice cup of coffee and a neighborly chat, you’re being told the Chinese Communist Party is using TikTok to brainwash children because it knows “if it conquers the minds of our next generation, it conquers America.” Then, with a vacant stare and artificial gravitas that seems beamed in from another dimension, you’re told, “When we gaze upon the heavens, never forget our DNA contains the same ingenuity that put man on the moon.”

But Britt’s unsettling performance isn’t entirely her fault. Responses to the State of the Union are almost always doomed to fail. They’re either boring or offputting, and agreeing to do one is risking your political future.

What is important here, however, is what we can draw from feeling of this response. The GOP, after all, has once more largely healed its schism and reinforced an orthodoxy tied to the fever dream of MAGA ideology. Easily debunked conspiracy theories, like the idea that the 2020 Presidential Election was stolen, are required shibboleths. The majority of Republicans believe, in some form or another, tenets of QAnon, including lurid rumors of sexual exploitation. Britt’s section on sex trafficking in her speech was so genuinely unpleasant and disturbing that I had to pause the video and shake it off while I got another cup of coffee.

And her version was somewhat mild. Around the country Republicans are repeating their gospel of twisted truths and outright lies, punctuating it all with emotional appeals that run headlong into repellent territory. Rather than appealing to religious values or traditions, the urge to go even further in this quixotic crusade to “reform” America has resulted in a teeth-grinding need for pathos. It’s not enough to stand in front of a school-board meeting and request an audit of books in the library. You’ve got to accuse the teachers of grooming students, read as many lurid quotes as possible, and remind people that PizzaGate wasn’t a conspiracy theory.

In other words, rantings of madness.

For the GOP to turn into its current phase required a twisting of logic and identity that all but destroyed objective reality. In order to counter the obvious cognitive dissonance, a veritable flood of contradictory ideas and explanations had to drown the acolytes. There was a need to look at Donald Trump, an obvious failure and fraud, and see an agent of God and a warrior. Reality itself had to be twisted like so much saltwater taffy until it disintegrated altogether. And, with each twist, the madness only grew.

We are genuinely lucky that is the case.

While authoritarianism gestates it is vulnerable. Upsetting. Revolting. In its early stages it hides in the dark as adherents gather and the mythologies and narratives that will eventually propel it are accumulated and turn inward and then outward. Nazism and Fascism would’ve never gained power had this not been this case, had they not practiced outside the eyes of the public and created their own worlds to inhabit. And then, as they begin stepping into the light, there is still a moment to reject them. To see exactly how twisted the ideologies are.

This is where your reaction comes in. You sense danger in Britt because there is danger. When you hear Trump speak the tuning fork of the soul wants to reject him like so much bad food. Watching the gleeful cruelty of MAGA turns you off because you feel, deep in your marrow, that this isn’t something to trifle with. Every day we’re presented one more bizarre issue after another that has no basis in reality and only seems to veer more and more into insanity.

The Republican Party is historically unpopular because the turn toward authoritarianism requires this phase. They are repellent to the general public because what is sensed is that unwellness. The problem, however, is that over time, and with enough exposure, the sickness spreads. Soon, instead of wanting to escape Britt’s kitchen and run for your life, the words start making more sense. Or, rather, they don’t seem as dangerous. They might seem strange, but not necessarily dangerous. This desensitization is a natural aspect of human psychology as immersion and exposure lend an air of normalcy so that we can begin to get our feet under us and survive in whatever environment we find ourselves. You get used to it in the same way a soldier surviving the trenches of World War I get used to fighting off rats while giant bombs rain from the sky.

There are many political strategies for defeating authoritarianism. What I continue to espouse is that we must address the material conditions that brought us to this point in order to break the fever and move forward. History shows us this is necessary. But, at this stage, it is also important that we do not lend the GOP any measure of normalcy. This means no hoping Republicans will have “an epiphany” and wake up. No longer calling them “friends” and pointing out when they’ve “worked across the aisle.” Or continuing to claim a “strong Republican Party is needed.”

Instead, this weirdness needs highlighted. Appealing to voters about “tax credits” and “means testing” doesn’t do the job. It only highlights a species of technocrat that is similarly off-putting, but in a different way. Neoliberals are bloodless, cold. Republicans and authoritarians excel at feverish passion. These two things counterbalance one another in a way we’ll need to discuss further. The answer, though, is to relentlessly highlight how strange all this is. Appeal to Americans who are genuinely put off by this nonsense. There’s already been proof in special elections and Midterms that voters don’t want to vote for these people and would rather be left alone by it.

Britt’s performance was disastrous and might very well hobble her career. It was probably the best she could have done, judging by her past ads and speeches. But it’s a valuable artifact. A glimpse into a world we should never glimpse. Pure, unadulterated horror.

A room with no exit.

10lThe State of the union Empty Re: lThe State of the union 3/12/2024, 3:10 pm

bigdog

That is a very interesting article Z. I didn't know there was a name for the voice that a lot of fundies use. I've always assumed that women who spoke liken that were faking it because they wanted to seem more "girly." But when I read the article, I realized that you were right. I was raised as an American Bap[tist because the Southern Baptists were too liberal. My church was against both "mixed bathing" which was boys and girls going swimming together and dancing which was just evil. And all the Sunday School teachers did talk with that voice.
I couldn't get my voice to go that high if my life depended on it. I have always been happy that I married a man who wanted a fishing and diving partner and who still makes jokes when he sees a woman with long fake fingernails on. I just never connected the voice with religion though, but you are right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum