Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best motorcycle for long rides....

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best motorcycle for long rides.... Empty Best motorcycle for long rides.... 10/14/2012, 11:29 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I have done two hundred mile rides in a couple or 3 hours but if I wanted to ride for say 8 hours what bike would be best ?

I like the sportster type look ...I am leaning toward a 883 iron right now. I have heard Harleys are rough on long rides. So I started looking at the BMW 650-1200 size bikes....

shorten the question..any of you guys make cross country rides with but a few stops and what do you ride or suggest for a good ride..Include reliability and mileage.. I may make an 1100 mile trip in the spring to Ohio...So I want to get the bike and get comfortable with it before I head out. I don't want to get to Ohio sell the bike and fly back so I want a keeper...thanks for any input ...

Gold Wing..

Might ask these guyshttp://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

My friend at work used to do this. he used a Honda st1300 or something like that.

What Lurch said I could not remember for the hell of it.. gold wing yea thats it Lol

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yeah but to me a Goldwing is a lot like a crown vic.is in a car...only old folks drive them....oh I know I am an old folk but I ain't quite ready to admit it....Not that i don't appreciate both your inputs.....I know you are right from the comfort stand point but when I pull up next to a Harley..I want to feel the love...maybe even a tad of respect...oh I know grow up.......

My Harley is a Hotrod, cammed, ported, geared low and LOUD Pipes..
I just rode it to Panama City for Thunder Beach.. After a few hours of being on it I'm ready to get off of it..

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Lurch wrote:My Harley is a Hotrod, cammed, ported, geared low and LOUD Pipes..
I just rode it to Panama City for Thunder Beach.. After a few hours of being on it I'm ready to get off of it..

Okay I see what you are saying...Looks tough but Kind of like bull riding looks tough...but only for a short time..LOL.

Slicef18

Slicef18

Lurch wrote:Gold Wing..

I concur. But it really comes down to what you want in a bike, If you're one of those people that like to tinker with machines and enjoys using tools then Harley is the bike for you and the Ultra Classic Electra Glide touring mans dream. However, If you're a "I want to buy it and ride it," kind of rider, the Honda Goldwing would be the bike to get you there without repair. Nearly as iconic as the Harley, the Honda Goldwing new touring motorcycles stretch the boundaries of comfort and convenience while maintaining the cruising efficiency and durability that the Goldwing is legendary for. Numerous updates to the old touring motorcycle standard abound for the 2012 model year, not least of which is the updated bodywork. Additional functionality is added to the Goldwing for the 2012 model year, including iPod connectivity, the ability to upload trips from your home computer into the Goldwing's navigation system. Just because the Goldwing looks big, though, doesn't mean that handling of this ride is compromised.
So, It really come down to, is your primary motivation to impress or egress

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I have done two hundred mile rides in a couple or 3 hours but if I wanted to ride for say 8 hours what bike would be best ?

I like the sportster type look ...I am leaning toward a 883 iron right now. I have heard Harleys are rough on long rides. So I started looking at the BMW 650-1200 size bikes....

shorten the question..any of you guys make cross country rides with but a few stops and what do you ride or suggest for a good ride..Include reliability and mileage.. I may make an 1100 mile trip in the spring to Ohio...So I want to get the bike and get comfortable with it before I head out. I don't want to get to Ohio sell the bike and fly back so I want a keeper...thanks for any input ...

Good God at your age you are riding an 883 Iron? WTH? The smallest I have owned was a 2007 Harley Nightster with the 1200cc engine. Bought it at the FWB stealership. They are asshats over there.

How tall are you? NO, I am not stalking you, but if you're a larger dude and I don't mean just fat, but taller, look into a Dyna or Softail model. Sportsters shake like a damn earthquake. When I traded my Nightster during the buyback deal in 2009 that HD put on, I got a Street Bob (DYNA) and was shocked at how well it rode (Smooth) compared to the Nightster. I have a Softail model Night Train now and it is smooth as "butta" as well. Go to a dealer and ask to take a test ride of what you like. The best dealer I have dealt with is Rossmeyers in Daytona (see TJ) and next would be Atlanta HD (see Mark).

I've went through a few bikes since 2005. Ask any questions you want. I've even had a Hayabusa and Honda 600F4I as well since then.

Slicef18 wrote:

I concur. But it really comes down to what you want in a bike, If you're one of those people that like to tinker with machines and enjoys using tools then Harley is the bike for you and the Ultra Classic Electra Glide touring mans dream. However, If you're a "I want to buy it and ride it," kind of rider, the Honda Goldwing would be the bike to get you there without repair. Nearly as iconic as the Harley, the Honda Goldwing new touring motorcycles stretch the boundaries of comfort and convenience while maintaining the cruising efficiency and durability that the Goldwing is legendary for. Numerous updates to the old touring motorcycle standard abound for the 2012 model year, not least of which is the updated bodywork. Additional functionality is added to the Goldwing for the 2012 model year, including iPod connectivity, the ability to upload trips from your home computer into the Goldwing's navigation system. Just because the Goldwing looks big, though, doesn't mean that handling of this ride is compromised.

The MOCO ain't building the Harley's of the AMF era. The days of riding around with a satchel full of tools to make it through a putt are over. You're still stuck in the 1970s.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Thanks for your help, lot to consider. I am going go try one of these on for size this week...

Best motorcycle for long rides.... 2011-h10

Honda Interstate VT1300CT

Here's what I am riding right now. I have to edit it....one of the photos has my name in it as I am in uniform.

Best motorcycle for long rides.... DSC01012

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Wow Pace that's a beauty to be proud of....

Slicef18

Slicef18

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:

The MOCO ain't building the Harley's of the AMF era. The days of riding around with a satchel full of tools to make it through a putt are over. You're still stuck in the 1970s.

Not so. My family's Sports Sales & Service business record of in-house and out the door sales of cycle parts is overwhelmingly Harley Davidson. Now I'll admit Harley's are very popular but so is Honda. When it comes to "AG" and off road machines John Deere and Polaris are the popular choices.

I don't carry tools.. I don't carry spare parts either.. I do carry a cell phone and can call a pickup/or tools if needed.. I've had my Harley for 4 years and never had a breakdown.. When I take it apart it's for mods..Some Porting..
Best motorcycle for long rides.... 005-1

Slicef18

Slicef18

Lurch wrote:I don't carry tools.. I don't carry spare parts either.. I do carry a cell phone and can call a pickup/or tools if needed.. I've had my Harley for 4 years and never had a breakdown.. When I take it apart it's for mods..Some Porting..
Best motorcycle for long rides.... 005-1

When I hear "I take it apart it's for mods..Some Porting.." I'm hearing someone who is proactive in the care of their bike. My kind of rider

I recammed it with Andrews 37's then advanced them +4* for a 34* IVC then put in some 1.725 rockers for a .541 lift.. it runs well.. I've spent a lot of time workin on engines and on dragstrips..

Slicef18

Slicef18

Not everyone understands what you just said, but it's a good reminder that different people enjoy their bikes in different ways, just as people some people hone their bike to a fine edge and to some people, it's like a bowling ball that needs fuel and oil only. I will say though, if a group of bikers gather at a park for lunch or at a watering hole. The sharing of information becomes entertainment. It's part of the fun of riding.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum