Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency

+5
Telstar
PkrBum
RealLindaL
zsomething
Floridatexan
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Feb 14, 2019 3:21 PM EST
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says President Donald Trump has indicated he’s prepared to sign the government funding bill and issue a national emergency on the border.

McConnell said Thursday the Senate will soon vote on the bill that’s needed to avoid a partial federal shutdown Friday.

The comprise measure keeps departments running through the fiscal year but without the $5.7 billion Trump wanted for the border wall with Mexico.

The House is also expected to vote on the bill later Thursday.

Trump’s assent would end a raucous legislative saga that commenced before Christmas and saw Trump force a record 35-day partial federal shutdown.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/mcconnell-trump-to-sign-funding-bill-and-declare-border-emergency

OMG

zsomething

I still don't think that even Donald Trump is stupid and corrupt enough to do this.

I can hardly believe I'm saying that, though.

If he does this, he's an even bigger fucking idiot that I'd figured. He'll get hammered over this, because it's obvious to anyone that this is n't a "national emergency" of any kind. Border crossings have been going down every year and are at a low. The only "national emergency" is that Ann Coulter doesn't like Trump anymore and Sean Hannity's criticizing him. It goes no further than that.

Fucking ridiculous. The entire nation's being held hostage to one fat stupid old man's completely-unjustified vanity. And his idiot base will buy any lie he wants to tell them, anyway, so he's gonna get himself into what might be a constitutional crisis for nothing.

Even knowing it's Trump, who's capable of any kind of idiocy, I'll believe this one when I see it.

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:Even knowing it's Trump, who's capable of any kind of idiocy, I'll believe this one when I see it.

I'm with you (as usual). I think he'll keep putting it off, find something else to distract, and hope the Coulters and Limbaughs forget about it.

I sure hope we're right. What a colossally dumbo waste of resources and money otherwise.

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://www.salon.com/2019/02/13/has-trump-wrecked-our-sex-life-post-trump-sex-disorder-is-real-says-sex-therapist/

zsomething

Of course, the right-wing will sell out to Trump immediately, even though they screamed about far-lesser power-grabs that they even thought Obama might do. Their integrity is already in ashes and they know their base will be "good Germans" and give them a pass on it, because for all their "rugged American patriotic individualism" shit they spout, at the core they're sheep and they always do what they're fucking told. They're the last people you ever want to have to count on for anything.

Other than our next group -- and these are becoming even worse than Republicans, who at least take a side, even if it's the wrong one -- the gutless libertarian posers will try to ignore this by introducing boring, witless "hey look at the squirrel!" distractions into the conversation. It's the same tired trick they use with every one of Trump's overreaches, because they can't confront it or they'll have to admit to being hypocrites with no real principles, and no real objectivity... just a lot of yammering with nobody to back it up. Those posing libertarian wimps don't actually stand for anything, never have, never will... they're just little empty-inside sacks of whining-noises who are just drains on everyone around them, who'll find fault with anyone who does take a stand. The second these fake-libertarian frauds are faced with a situation that'd require them to really back up the things they claim they believe, they crouch and piddle and slink away and tell themselves that nobody noticed. They'll reconcile their cowardice and lack of principles with themselves so they can keep dragging themselves along through the lives they've screwed up. They won't admit to being Trump's base... but they are. Just the most craven, cringing part of it.

That's what it looks like we're going to get to witness, if Trump actually slips past his zookeepers long enough to make this colossal mistake. And there'll never be any take-backs. He's gonna expose his base for what they are.

zsomething

Well, that does it.  

I lose track of whose turn it is to play with the President Trump Puppet™️ today.  Sounds like it was Sean Hannity's turn this morning, but he'll have to share with Rush Limbaugh, Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-Un, and whoever else wants to flatter the pathetic drip.

We don't even have a president right now, we've just got a silly-lookin' orange blob who acts as a proxy for any one of several FOX News pundits or the leader of Russia.  He's just a needy loser who has no mind of his own and just gets used by whoever will say "nice things" to him.

He even spent several minutes in the Rose Garden promoting Hannity and Limbaugh.   They're the real presidents, and nobody voted for 'em.

I don't wanna hear boo out of any libertarian sonofabitch anymore about anything.   This is such an abuse of power that if the TEA partiers aren't marching in the street and waving their fake-ass Gadsen flags about it by sundown then they should never show their faces again.

*** edited to add that then the dumb Charlie McCarthy idiot announced his "national emergency" by saying "I didn't need to do this." Jesus Christ, he's too freakin' stupid to even announce a fake "emergency" correctly. If you didn't need to do it, it's not an emergency, is it, now?

"I didn't need to do this. But I'd rather do it much faster.”

So, basically, he's admitting he has no respect for the Constitution or the American system of government and just wants to be a fucking dictator, because that's easier.

Republicans have no claim to patriotism anymore, backing this shit up. This is ridiculous. This is a hundred times more of a blatant power-grab than anything Obama ever did, and they whined endlessly about him. Their integrity was always a pretense to begin with, and now even that is gone.

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national-emergencies-effect-years/story?id=60294693

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:Well, that does it.  

I lose track of whose turn it is to play with the President Trump Puppet™️ today.  Sounds like it was Sean Hannity's turn this morning, but he'll have to share with Rush Limbaugh, Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong-Un, and whoever else wants to flatter the pathetic drip.

We don't even have a president right now, we've just got a silly-lookin' orange blob who acts as a proxy for any one of several FOX News pundits or the leader of Russia.  He's just a needy loser who has no mind of his own and just gets used by whoever will say "nice things" to him.

He even spent several minutes in the Rose Garden promoting Hannity and Limbaugh.   They're the real presidents, and nobody voted for 'em.

I don't wanna hear boo out of any libertarian sonofabitch anymore about anything.   This is such an abuse of power that if the TEA partiers aren't marching in the street and waving their fake-ass Gadsen flags about it by sundown then they should never show their faces again.

*** edited to add that then the dumb Charlie McCarthy idiot announced his "national emergency" by saying "I didn't need to do this."     Jesus Christ, he's too freakin' stupid to even announce a fake "emergency" correctly.  If you didn't need to do it, it's not an emergency, is it, now?

"I didn't need to do this.  But I'd rather do it much faster.”  

So, basically, he's admitting he has no respect for the Constitution or the American system of government and just wants to be a fucking dictator, because that's easier.

Republicans have no claim to patriotism anymore, backing this shit up.  This is ridiculous.  This is a hundred times more of a blatant power-grab than anything Obama ever did, and they whined endlessly about him.   Their integrity was always a pretense to begin with, and now even that is gone.

The only good republican is a gone republican.

zsomething

Telstar wrote:

The only good republican is a gone republican.

I'll say this for 'em, they're damn predictable.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Ann Coulter tweets:

"The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot!"

"No, the goal of the national emergency is for Trump to scam the stupidest people in his base for 2 more years."

This is a bizarre rabbit hole.

McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whec.com%2Fwhecimages%2Frepository%2F2017-07%2Fann-coulter

Deus X

Deus X

othershoe1030 wrote:Ann Coulter tweets:

"The only national emergency is that our president is an idiot!"

"No, the goal of the national emergency is for Trump to scam the stupidest people in his base for 2 more years."

This is a bizarre rabbit hole.

You're not kidding, it just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Like this for instance:

CBS Goes With ‘The Price Is Right’ Over Conclusion Of President Trump’s Emergency Speech

National emergency on the border?  In one network’s news judgment, it was more important to say, “Come on, down!”

CBS coverage of President Donald Trump’s televised address on his national emergency declaration ended 21 minutes before its conclusion, as the eye network opted to return viewers to game show The Price Is Right. All of the other broadcast and cable news networks carried the declaration and press conference on Friday afternoon to its conclusion.

CBS News reported that the White House assured the network Trump’s speech would be no longer than eight minutes. But Trump started at 1:10 PM and finished at 2 PM.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/cbs-goes-with-the-price-is-right-over-conclusion-of-president-trumps-emergency-speech-1202558868/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

From FB (Occupy Democrats):

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

For Immediate Release
Thursday, February 14, 2019
Organization Profile:
Public Citizen
Phone: 202-588-1000

Trump's Planned Emergency Declaration Is An Illegal Abuse of Power; Public Citizen Will Sue

Statement of Robert Weissman, President, Public Citizen

WASHINGTON - If President Donald Trump proceeds to declare a national emergency to secure funding for a racist and needless wall, against the backdrop of Congress' express refusal to fund such a barrier, it will constitute an outrageous abuse of power – perhaps the most dangerous yet by the unstable and increasingly autocratic President Trump. If this invocation of emergency on false pretenses is tolerated, it could justify almost limitless abuses of presidential and military power, including far-reaching clampdowns on civil rights.

On behalf of landowners and others in Texas likely to be affected by such an illegal maneuver, Public Citizen will sue to challenge this unconstitutional attempt to circumvent the legislative process.

We also will mobilize our members and join with others in demanding that Congress pass a resolution of disapproval to overturn the national emergency declaration.

###

https://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2019/02/14/trumps-planned-emergency-declaration-illegal-abuse-power-public-citizen-will-sue?cd-origin=rss&utm_term=Trump%27s%20Planned%20Emergency%20Declaration%20Is%20An%20Illegal%20Abuse%20of%20Power%3B%20Public%20Citizen%20Will%20Sue&utm_campaign=Daily%20Newsletter%20-%20During%20Fundraiser%20-%20WITH%20Fundraising%20Message&utm_content=email&utm_source=Act-On+Software&utm_medium=email&cm_mmc=Act-On%20Software-_-email-_-Trump%20to%20Declare%20%27Constitutionally%20Illegitimate%27%20National%20Emergency%20%7C%20News%20%2526%20Views-_-Trump%27s%20Planned%20Emergency%20Declaration%20Is%20An%20Illegal%20Abuse%20of%20Power%3B%20Public%20Citizen%20Will%20Sue

PkrBum

PkrBum

Read these examples and try thinking for yourself.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/list-31-national-emergencies-effect-years/story?id=60294693

Telstar

Telstar

PkrBum wrote: Was anyone else on the page ever castrated by his own kiwi grammy and forced to devour his own genitals?

No.

polecat

polecat

A national emergency should not be allowed to declare a national emergency. - Jess Dweck

So, Mexico wouldn’t pay for the wall, Congress wouldn’t pay for the wall, even a gofundme wouldn’t pay for the wall. Obviously, now it’s a goddamn national emergency. - George Takei

So let me get this straight: Declaring Election Day a national holiday would be a "power grab," but declaring a national emergency over a manufactured crisis is totally fine? - Robert Reich

There must be a national emergency on the golf course at Mar-a-Lago this weekend because there's where Trump is rushing his fat ass to this afternoon. - Jeff Tiedrich

I can't wait until a Democratic president declares a national emergency over illegal immigration and revokes Melania Trump's citizenship. - Middle Age Riot tweet

McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency Dzzwyk10
McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency 51794210
McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency 52033910

RealLindaL

Keep 'em coming, polecat -- the pointed humor is much needed and appreciated.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:Read these examples and try thinking for yourself.

McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency Pharma-patent-trolls-title-tktktktktk-1442953644

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Read these examples and try thinking for yourself.

McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency Pharma-patent-trolls-title-tktktktktk-1442953644

McConnell: Trump to sign funding bill and declare border emergency Lol_zp19

zsomething

"Well, Sparky, if the only time you're willing to fight back and you're willing to resist is if they come after your guns, then they don't need to come after your guns. They can take everything worth fighting for away, and you'll still be there clutching your A. R. And that's the thing that bothers me the most. The people who ideologically are supposed to be just losing their minds right now - the 3%ers, the Oath Keepers, the strict Constitutionalists -- (laughs) There should be a march on Washington from you guys. Problem is y'all are all wearing red hats. You're so caught up in partisan politics you don't see what's happening.

We don't have leaders anymore. We certainly don't have one in the oval office, we have a ruler. This is how every democracy in history has committed suicide. If the Senate, the House of Representatives, the Supreme Court, do not put an end to this immediately... that's it. It's over. The precedent is set, and you will see more and more power transferred to the executive branch until we are just another two-bit dictatorship. MAGA.

There ya go.

Now we wait for our resident excuse-making pissant, the joke who's the only one not in on the fact that he's a joke, to try to "what-about" this with some absurd fucking link to some shit that isn't even remotely in the same ballpark and pretend he's "engaging."

Shit ain't funny anymore. Yet some shitheads are gonna jam their fingers in their ears and try to giggle it away.

polecat

polecat

“If he ever tries to get it built (the wall), the American taxpayer will pay for it” - Hillary Clinton in August 2016

“I don’t care, I believe Putin.”
The entire Trump presidency in one sentence. - Tea Pain

Telstar

Telstar

polecat wrote:“If he ever tries to get it built (the wall), the American taxpayer will pay for it” - Hillary Clinton in August 2016

“I don’t care, I believe Putin.”
The entire Trump presidency in one sentence. - Tea Pain

But will the Florida voters remember this in the future elections? No. Little wonder why real Americans pray that the great flood targets Florida and washes away the flotsam and jetsam voters that lurk there. Let them die in agony the way all great traitors should. Not that real American would care much about major death and destruction to Florida's sister shithole states like Alabama and Georgia.

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:But will the Florida voters remember this in the future elections? No. Little wonder why real Americans pray that the great flood targets Florida and washes away the flotsam and jetsam voters that lurk there. Let them die in agony the way all great traitors should. Not that real American would care much about major death and destruction to Florida's sister shithole states like Alabama and Georgia.

OK obviously you're just looking for a fight.  So I'll help:

Quit being a JERK on this, Tel.  Surely you can't be too dense to realize your fellow liberal forum members here are largely Floridians and other southerners?  What GOOD does it do for you to rant against our entire state and wish us all the worst????  NONE. Evil or Very Mad

Carry on.   I'm done.

Deus X

Deus X

RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:But will the Florida voters remember this in the future elections? No. Little wonder why real Americans pray that the great flood targets Florida and washes away the flotsam and jetsam voters that lurk there. Let them die in agony the way all great traitors should. Not that real American would care much about major death and destruction to Florida's sister shithole states like Alabama and Georgia.

Quit being a JERK on this, Tel.  Surely you can't be too dense to realize your fellow liberal forum members here are largely Floridians and other southerners?  What GOOD does it do for you to rant against our entire state and wish us all the worst????  NONE.     Evil or Very Mad

Carry on.   I'm done.

Well put. I agree.

Telstar

Telstar

Deus X wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Quit being a JERK on this, Tel.  Surely you can't be too dense to realize your fellow liberal forum members here are largely Floridians and other southerners?  What GOOD does it do for you to rant against our entire state and wish us all the worst????  NONE.     Evil or Very Mad

Carry on.   I'm done.

Well put. I agree.

If you can't stand the shithole, GET THE HELL OUT OF FLORIDA! Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum