Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump Shows Us the Way

+2
gatorfan
Floridatexan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Trump Shows Us the Way Empty Trump Shows Us the Way 2/13/2018, 12:52 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Maureen Dowd FEB. 10, 2018

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump slipped into the Oval Office through a wormhole of confusion about the American identity.

We weren’t winning wars anymore. They just went on and on and on, with inexplicable and deceptive aims and so many lives and limbs and trillions lost.

We couldn’t believe in our institutions, with breaches of trust and displays of ineptitude.

We were moving from a white-majority, male-dominated country and manufacturing base to a multicultural, multilateral, globalized, P.C., new energy, new technology world, without taking account of the confusion and anger of older Americans who felt like strangers in a strange land.

Among many, the allure of Barack Obama’s brainy nuance had given way to a longing for a more muscular certainty.

With the Russians sowing confusion, Trump surfed those free-floating anxieties, that fear of not knowing who we are, straight to Pennsylvania Avenue.

And now, thanks to our barmy president and his staff meltdown, we are finding out fast who we are and who we don’t want to be.

We don’t want to countenance abusive behavior. And we certainly don’t want men like Rob Porter who have punched, kicked, choked and terrorized their wives to be in the president’s inner circle, helping decide which policies, including those that affect women, get emphasized.

We don’t want the White House chief of staff to be the sort of person who shields and defends abusers — and then dissembles about it — simply because the abuser is a rare competent staffer. Or a man who labels Dreamers “too lazy to get off their asses” simply because they didn’t apply for legal protections in time.

John Kelly served as a character witness not only for Porter, after he didn’t receive security clearance because F.B.I. agents had heard the harrowing tales from his battered ex-wives. Kelly also testified as a character witness for Gen. Robert E. Lee and a former Marine who pleaded guilty to sending inappropriate sexual messages to female subordinates; who drove drunk to an arraignment; and who got charged in Virginia with sex crimes against children.

A military hero like General Kelly who made the ultimate sacrifice of losing a son in war should have a higher standard for integrity and honor, the words he lavished on his disgraced aide, Porter.

We want our president to be a moral beacon, not a ratings-obsessed id. We want a president who understands that sexual and physical abuse are wrong. As a more lucid Trump tweeted in 2012 about Rihanna getting back together with Chris Brown, “A beater is always a beater.”

We don’t want a president who bends over backward to give the benefit of the doubt to neo-Nazis, wife beaters, pedophiles and sexual predators — or who is a sexual predator himself. We don’t want a president who thinks #me is more important than #metoo.

We don’t want a president who flips the ordinary equation, out of some puerile sense of grievance, to honor Russia and dishonor the F.B.I.

We don’t want a president who believes that vile behavior is justified by a Vesuvial stock market.

We don’t want a president who is too shallow to read his daily intelligence report and too obsessed with the deep state to deal fairly with our intelligence agencies.

We don’t want a president who is on a sugar high of ego, whose demented tweets about nukes and crowd size scare even Omarosa.

We don’t want a president who redecorates the Oval as an infinity mirror.

We don’t want a president who suggests that Democrats who don’t clap for him are treasonous and who seems more enthralled by authoritarian ways than democratic ones.

We don’t want a president who promises an A team but surrounds himself with dreckitude, a president who vows to pass “the best” bills but then doesn’t care whether he’s selling steak, wine, condos or garbage policies on matters of life and death that he hasn’t even bothered to read.

We don’t want a president who goes to military school but never leaves; who loves generals but trashes Gold Star parents; who wants the sort of chesty military parade that we mock Kim Jong-un for, a phallic demonstration of overcompensation that would only put more potholes in the D.C. boulevards.

We don’t want a president who makes his version of make-believe real, and who looks with favor on deceit, hypocrisy, conflict of interest and nepotism.

We don’t want a president who merits a special prosecutor, let alone one who could be so easily trapped in lies that he can’t even be allowed to talk to an investigator.

We don’t want a president who treats the hallowed house where Abraham Lincoln once wrote the nation’s most sacred texts as the set of a cheesy reality show.

We don’t want a president who treats the presidency as just another personal business franchise or family employment program.

We don’t want a president who glides through the chaos he craves and conjures, while everyone around him immolates and shivers.

And, finally, we surely don’t want a president who seeks advice on foreign affairs from Henry Kissinger. Ever. Again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/10/opinion/sunday/trump-shows-us-the-way.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

2Trump Shows Us the Way Empty Re: Trump Shows Us the Way 2/13/2018, 1:21 pm

gatorfan

How amusing, nothing like the opinions of a rabid feminist who for some reason also attacked Hillary for years. Makes one wonder if she's even sane....

3Trump Shows Us the Way Empty Re: Trump Shows Us the Way 2/13/2018, 3:27 pm

zsomething

I'd like Maureen Dowd better if she liked anybody. The only stand she takes is for not taking a stand, really.

But, she's still right about Trump.

Trump's a disaster, and every day there's some new wearying thing. I still don't think of this guy as the president, really. It's too big a joke. I know he won (stupid electoral college), but I don't think he's ever actually assumed the office. It feels like we don't really have a president now, because there's no leadership, even on basic things. There's just this headcase who'll do anything people who flatter him want him to do. And he can't take a stance on even the simplest things. Softballs are lobbed at him and he can't hit a one of 'em.

Say Nazis are bad? That's about as "gimme" as it gets, and he fucks it up.

Speak out against the abuse of women? How much bigger giveaway is there than that? And yet, it's beyond him.

It's so bad it's surrealistic already. It's not a government, it's a TV show that needs to be cancelled. And yet, by reflex, some people are still supporting this idiocy, just to "make Democrats mad" or whatever. I guess it's worth wrecking the nation as long as you can piss off the people who think you're stupid. (And I admit, I do think they're stupid, absolutely... I have no reason not to, I know 'em and their idiocy wears me out, I cannot honestly be any kinder about it).

4Trump Shows Us the Way Empty Re: Trump Shows Us the Way 2/13/2018, 3:54 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

zsomething wrote:I'd like Maureen Dowd better if she liked anybody.   The only stand she takes is for not taking a stand, really.

But, she's still right about Trump.  

Trump's a disaster, and every day there's some new wearying thing.  I still don't think of this guy as the president, really.  It's too big a joke.  I know he won (stupid electoral college), but I don't think he's ever actually assumed the office.  It feels like we don't really have a president now, because there's no leadership, even on basic things.  There's just this headcase who'll do anything people who flatter him want him to do.  And he can't take a stance on even the simplest things.    Softballs are lobbed at him and he can't hit a one of 'em.  

Say Nazis are bad?  That's about as "gimme" as it gets, and he fucks it up.

Speak out against the abuse of women?   How much bigger giveaway is there than that?  And yet, it's beyond him.

It's so bad it's surrealistic already.   It's not a government, it's a TV show that needs to be cancelled.   And yet, by reflex, some people are still supporting this idiocy, just to "make Democrats mad" or whatever.  I guess it's worth wrecking the nation as long as you can piss off the people who think you're stupid.  (And I admit, I do think they're stupid, absolutely... I have no reason not to, I know 'em and their idiocy wears me out, I cannot honestly be any kinder about it).

I honestly don't think I've ever shared a piece by Maureen Dowd...ever. But she nailed this one, IMHO.

5Trump Shows Us the Way Empty Re: Trump Shows Us the Way 2/13/2018, 4:04 pm

Telstar

Telstar

It's not that we don't want a president, we don't want THAT president!

6Trump Shows Us the Way Empty Re: Trump Shows Us the Way 2/13/2018, 4:52 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_manipulation

7Trump Shows Us the Way Empty Re: Trump Shows Us the Way 2/13/2018, 5:01 pm

polecat

polecat

Last week Dow tumbled 1k points twice; 2 WH officials resign for wife beating & Kelly caught lying abt it; Brand quits DOJ so DT's 1 more firing away from killing Mueller probe; DT broke promise to release Dem memo.

And @HillaryClinton will have to answer for it all, believe me. - John Fugelsang

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum