Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Really Alabama Really

+5
bigdog
zsomething
Wordslinger
Telstar
polecat
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Really Alabama Really Empty Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 12:39 am

polecat

polecat

Roy Moore

2Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 1:20 am

Telstar

Telstar

Quick Draw Moore. lol!

3Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 6:25 am

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

I've just been notified that Anthony Wiener has challenged Moore to a duel. In the event that Judge Moore accepts Wiener's challenge, both Mobil-Exxon and Facebook are vying to sponsor the event. The tentative venue will be in New Jersey on the bridge that Chris Christy's staff jammed with traffic. The event will be broadcast on CNN.

4Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 8:38 am

zsomething

The South always finds new ways to embarrass itself. It's really the only thing we're innovative about anymore...

I keep thinking, "Eventually somebody so stupid, crazy, and fanatical will come along that even Southern Baptist Republicans will find too alarming to support," but, nope. Watching the South, I understand how things like radical Islam take over countries, even though it seemingly has nothing to offer but oppressive horror. Turns out some people actually want to live under those kind of conditions. I'll never understand 'em.

5Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 11:52 am

bigdog

Hey, I was a Southern Baptist for years, and also a Republican. Trust me, there's no hope there. It's the abortion issue and also a matter of race. They try to keep the racism quiet, but it's definitely still there.
I left the church when we had an argument in Sunday School about whether our President was "chosen" by God or not. The Old Testament scripture seemed to indicate that whoever won was God's pick. Therefore, we should all respect his power. Since he was God's pick, I wondered aloud why all those cars out in the parking lot had stickers on them of some kid peeing on Bill Clinton.

I just didn't feel comfortable in my Sunday School class after that Very Happy

6Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 12:50 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

I'm a strident, anti-theist and it's difficult for me to identify or relate in any way to hardcore Southern Baptists and their equally screwball affiliates (they handle and kiss live rattlesnakes? Really? I'd really appreciate it if one of you southerners here could explain the intense, highly agitated, provocative aggressiveness of these Southern Christian affiliations. I think religion is the most conflictive element in modern human culture, but I'm perfectly happy letting everyone practice whatever they believe as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on anyone else. Obviously, abortion, gay rights, and even racial equality are issues with hardcore southern Christians who insist their beliefs in this regard MUST BE PRACTICED BY EVERYONE -- WITH THE GOVERNMENT FORCING THE ISSUE. Why pray tell, are these folks so insecure?

I'd really like to understand my enemies better ...

7Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 1:13 pm

2seaoat

I listened to an Alabama Democrat who was talking to Thom Hartman on his radio show who insisted that Moore's election gives the democrats the best chance to win a senate seat in Alabama in 30 years. The candidate is the prosecutor who prosecuted the KKK member who bombed the four little girls in church in Birmingham. He is well respected and a no nonsense prosecutor who will get many moderate republican votes because many people believe Moore is simply a joke.

8Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 1:18 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Wordslinger wrote:I'm a strident, anti-theist and it's difficult for me to identify or relate in any way to hardcore Southern Baptists and their equally screwball affiliates (they handle and kiss live rattlesnakes? Really? I'd really appreciate it if one of you southerners here could explain the intense, highly agitated, provocative aggressiveness of these Southern Christian affiliations. I think religion is the most conflictive element in modern human culture, but I'm perfectly happy letting everyone practice whatever they believe as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on anyone else. Obviously, abortion, gay rights, and even racial equality are issues with hardcore southern Christians who insist their beliefs in this regard MUST BE PRACTICED BY EVERYONE -- WITH THE GOVERNMENT FORCING THE ISSUE.  Why pray tell, are these folks so insecure?

But then you want the govt to force an individual to do what you think is "right". Both of you are wrong.

9Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 1:36 pm

zsomething

Wordslinger wrote:I'm a strident, anti-theist and it's difficult for me to identify or relate in any way to hardcore Southern Baptists and their equally screwball affiliates (they handle and kiss live rattlesnakes? Really? I'd really appreciate it if one of you southerners here could explain the intense, highly agitated, provocative aggressiveness of these Southern Christian affiliations. I think religion is the most conflictive element in modern human culture, but I'm perfectly happy letting everyone practice whatever they believe as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on anyone else. Obviously, abortion, gay rights, and even racial equality are issues with hardcore southern Christians who insist their beliefs in this regard MUST BE PRACTICED BY EVERYONE -- WITH THE GOVERNMENT FORCING THE ISSUE.  Why pray tell, are these folks so insecure?

It's pretty hard to understand. From what I can tell from a lifetime of observing it (and occasionally fending off knife-attacks and gun threats from hardcore Baptists who didn't like me not going to church or that I wore Black Sabbath tee-shirts), it's mostly about conformity and control. Some are actual believers (some of 'em are actually nice people), but for most it's just a way to have a social network... and far too many seem to just be into it because it's a way to have a gang to enforce their will on everybody else. They find a homogenized society comforting -- everybody's pretty much the same, nobody's too smart and makes them feel inadequate, they're not confronted with anything that makes them uncomfortable like other races, other cultures, gay people, or general non-conformity. Conformity is really the overwhelming thing. They like to feel like they're part of a majority and will never be challenged on anything, and won't have to feel "stupid" no matter what stupid things they do.

And, since all that religion really is is "belief," they cannot tolerate non-belief. Even if you don't go to church, you're expected to bow to it. That's why you've got to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays," or stand for the pledge, etc., and other religions have to be kept out. If anybody's allowed to get away with any alternative to bowing to their religion's greatness, it means that questioning it will be allowed and, eventually, they'll have to feel silly for believing it again. So, they fight back against that with great fury, and try to stamp out any non-belief.

It's the main reason people like Betsy DeVos are trying to wrest control of the schools, so they can enforce religious rules in kids while their minds are still soft and corruptible. They know if they don't get them early, they're likely not going to get them, because few adults are going to pick up a Bible and say, "Wow, this all makes perfect sense and isn't crazy at all." Southern churches know that and so they're getting really aggressive about it.

But, there is a backlash element to it -- their hardcore enforced conformity is also turning a lot of people off and driving them away... especially the ones who got into religion because it presented a good philosophy. I mean, I'm an atheist, but Jesus is one of my favorite philosophers. He's got a lot of good ideas, if people would actually practice 'em. Unfortunately, most of the people claiming to follow him are actually more in line with his opposite (Ayn Rand), so... it turns a lot of people off. I've got several friends who were raised Southern Baptist who are now strongly against it, mostly because their churches got overbearing on social issues or went so crazy trying to fight against science. They still do the "love thy neighbor, help the poor" things, but they don't believe in a god anymore. And they've been much happier.

10Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 3:34 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Zsomething: Thank you very much for your well written essay on strident Christian religion. Glad to meet you brother. You're absolutely right about how these people are driving away followers at an alarming (for them) rate. That's the good news -- hardcore, strident Christian evangelism is dying. It's about time!

I confess I am equally apprehensive in regards to these folks as I am to their equals -- Muslim fundamentalists. Both are atrocious, cruel and evil.

11Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 3:58 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

The faith to believe in collectivism instead of individual freedoms is as strong as any religion.

Worse in some ways... considering the known outcomes.

12Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 4:05 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:The faith to believe in collectivism instead of individual freedoms is as strong as any religion.

My personal belief system is based on the freedom of the individual to choose...that means every individual, not a select few who try to impose their personal beliefs upon others. You'd have made a great Nazi...while rationalizing to yourself that fascism is "leftist".

13Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 4:11 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:The faith to believe in collectivism instead of individual freedoms is as strong as any religion.

My personal belief system is based on the freedom of the individual to choose...that means every individual, not a select few who try to impose their personal beliefs upon others.  You'd have made a great Nazi...while rationalizing to yourself that fascism is "leftist".  

You supported a recent law that mandates an individual to purchase a product from a corporation.

Rationalize that.

And I have NO positions that choose authoritarian collectivist policies over individual liberty.

14Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 4:27 pm

zsomething

Wordslinger wrote:Zsomething:  Thank you very much for your well written essay on strident Christian religion.  Glad to meet you brother.  You're absolutely right about how these people are driving away followers at an alarming (for them) rate.  That's the good news -- hardcore, strident Christian evangelism is dying.  It's about time!

I confess I am equally apprehensive in regards to these folks as I am to their equals -- Muslim fundamentalists.  Both are atrocious, cruel and evil.    

Thanks! Smile

Yeah, all religions make me wary. I don't believe in any, but I try to assume most people get into them with good intentions... until they prove they didn't, which is all too often the case. But I fear the Christians more than the Muslims, really. Radicalized Islamists are horrible, of course, but they're mostly off somewhere else, and they're being addressed. Radicalized Christians are every bit as dangerous and violence-bent, but they get a free pass. Our secular society holds them in check a bit, but they're hammering at getting that barrier removed so they can start doing their own Baptist version of Sharia law... and that's why they elect guys like Roy Moore. They want to run America the way the Taliban ran Afghanistan. They look at that level of fanatical craziness and they envy it. All they see wrong with it is "they've got the wrong god."

Quote from Becky Fischer (the lady in that clip):

It's no wonder, with that kind of intense training and discipling, that those young people are ready to kill themselves for the cause of Islam. I wanna see young people who are as committed to the cause of Jesus Christ as the young people are to the cause of Islam. I wanna see them as radically laying down their lives for the Gospel as they are over in Pakistan and Israel and Palestine and all those different places, you know, because we have... excuse me, but we have the truth!

Meanwhile, we have idiots like Pkr who claims he's for "freedom" but he supports all this shit as long as a right-winger's doing it. He's been trained like a dog. Never stops questioning one side, never stops defending with the other, and fools himself into thinking he's reasonable. People like him are almost worse than the fanatics, because they're gutless enablers who think they're "good people" while they let evil happen and find fault with anyone opposing it.

15Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/27/2017, 4:47 pm

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:Zsomething:  Thank you very much for your well written essay on strident Christian religion.  Glad to meet you brother.  You're absolutely right about how these people are driving away followers at an alarming (for them) rate.  That's the good news -- hardcore, strident Christian evangelism is dying.  It's about time!

I confess I am equally apprehensive in regards to these folks as I am to their equals -- Muslim fundamentalists.  Both are atrocious, cruel and evil.    

Thanks! Smile  

Yeah, all religions make me wary.  I don't believe in any, but I try to assume most people get into them with good intentions... until they prove they didn't, which is all too often the case.  But I fear the Christians more than the Muslims, really.  Radicalized Islamists are horrible, of course, but they're mostly off somewhere else, and they're being addressed.  Radicalized Christians are every bit as dangerous and violence-bent, but they get a free pass.   Our secular society holds them in check a bit, but they're hammering at getting that barrier removed so they can start doing their own Baptist version of Sharia law... and that's why they elect guys like Roy Moore.  They want to run America the way the Taliban ran Afghanistan.  They look at that level of fanatical craziness and they envy it.  All they see wrong with it is "they've got the wrong god."  

Quote from Becky Fischer (the lady in that clip):

It's no wonder, with that kind of intense training and discipling, that those young people are ready to kill themselves for the cause of Islam. I wanna see young people who are as committed to the cause of Jesus Christ as the young people are to the cause of Islam. I wanna see them as radically laying down their lives for the Gospel as they are over in Pakistan and Israel and Palestine and all those different places, you know, because we have... excuse me, but we have the truth!

Meanwhile, we have idiots like Pkr who claims he's for "freedom" but he supports all this shit as long as a right-winger's doing it.  He's been trained like a dog.  Never stops questioning one side, never stops defending with the other, and fools himself into thinking he's reasonable.  People like him are almost worse than the fanatics, because they're gutless enablers who think they're "good people" while they let evil happen and find fault with anyone opposing it.

Is that Kathy Bates? Sure looks like her.

16Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/28/2017, 12:34 am

Telstar

Telstar

Garrison Keillor: Maybe Roy Moore can bring back stoning

The triumph of Judge Roy Moore in Alabama's Republican Senate primary was a ray of sunshine for those of us who'd like to restore stoning to our legal system and remove the curse of profanity once and for all from our country. Scripture is very clear: "Thou shalt not swear." But God's chosen party, the Republican Party, has waffled on this issue, as it has on the issue of adultery and obedience to parents and observance of the Sabbath and the engraving industry. And that is why our country today is on the verge of destruction. The signs are everywhere. Judge Moore is the only man who dares say so.

In Deuteronomy, God makes it clear that a rebellious child should be brought before the elders and stoned to death. It's there in black and white. We ignore these things at our peril. Establishment Republicans and a great many Christians have adopted the leftist "Let him who is without sin throw the first stone" approach to the law, which would produce utter anarchy -- sinlessness as a requirement for service on a jury -- and Judge Moore of Alabama is a prophet in our time, calling us to return to God's Word.

Democrats are fine with the Beatitudes -- "Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" and all that -- but blessing people is no substitute for upholding God's standards, and there are people in spiritual poverty who express that by taking the Lord's name in vain, or by shopping on Sunday, or disobeying their parents, or by coveting their neighbor's wife, and if we don't punish sin, then sin will overrun the nation, as it has done already. That is why Judge Moore is not a Beatitudes guy but a Ten Commandments man. The law is the law.

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image." It couldn't be clearer. And our country is flooded with them. Currency, photo IDs, the Sunday rotogravure, high school yearbooks, television and movies, National Geographic. And the iPhone, an abomination to the Lord. Liberal theologians can try to talk this away but God has made it clear that when you print, or engrave, a picture, you are violating His law. You can draw or paint whatever you'd like, but when you make copies, your soul is in danger. Xerox, beware.

Judge Moore has taken the high road on the issue of homosexuality. The establishment churches have turned a blind eye, and he has been a voice in the wilderness. But that is only one evil and there are a host of them, profanity being one of the most prevalent and insidious.

We have weapons we can use in the war against profanity, if we choose to use them. The very same algorithms that produce graven images on iPhones can be reversed and used to detect cursing anywhere nearby. The phone can be programmed to sound an alarm and to send powerful electrical currents into the body of the malefactor and render him or her inert and insensate so that he or she can be handed over to the elders for stoning. Your establishment Republicans believe in light stoning, using handfuls of gravel, but Scripture is clear about this: we must use rocks so that the stoning results in death.

If we create stoning grounds in the centers of our cities and we publicly execute those who are guilty of rebelliousness, adultery, engraving, shopping on Sunday and cursing, you will see America become great again, assuming you are not one who will be executed.

Let us be honest here. There are too many people in this country. You know it and I know it. When we reduce the excess population by stoning and become a nation of 10 or 15 million, this country will be a paradise. You'll be able to drive and not languish in traffic. No waiting for tee times. Our enemies will be gone, all of them, bonked to death, and we will gain their homes and their wives and their cleaning ladies. It will be perfect.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/09/garrison_keillor_maybe_roy_moo.html

17Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/28/2017, 11:05 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

According to a Quinnipiac Poll out this morning a majority of voters think Trump is not FIT to be president and their evaluation of Congress dropped 10 points to a stunning 15%.

So the answer is nominating a person like Moore to run for Senate? The Republicans want to keep their slim majority in the Senate but what good is a majority with extremists like the Freedom Caucus types and people with Libertarian leanings who can't even work with members of their own party?

The Republicans are looking more and more erratic. This puts the Democrats in the position of being the more rational group who time after time keep saying they want to work across the aisle and (for example) and fix the ACA and work on tax reform etc.

Moore may not win the general election. Consider that he's been twice removed from office by conservative peers in Alabama.

The particular flavor of Christianity put forward by the Southern Baptists is appealing to the authoritarian personality. In the long run it will be self defeating.

Now that the country has been exposed to the reality of a Trump presidency and is not happy with it maybe they will notice that it really is important for someone leading the country to have a firm grasp of how government works?  

18Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/29/2017, 2:32 pm

What the hell did you expect? it's freakin ALABAMA!!! Sad

19Really Alabama Really Empty Re: Really Alabama Really 9/29/2017, 8:18 pm

Telstar

Telstar

panhandler wrote:What the hell did you expect?  it's freakin ALABAMA!!! Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum