Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Doxing. Posting personal information

+5
del.capslock
RealLindaL
Vikingwoman
2seaoat
Joanimaroni
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

“ Doxing“ is a legal term that means revealing “documents” about a person. This can range from revealing the name of a person who uses an alias, but more commonly refers to revealing whatever the person doing it feels will harm, shame, humiliate, endanger, or put the person at some risk.   Doxing is a form of stalking or threatening and is illegal under many different federal and state laws, depending on the exact facts and location. READ THAT AGAIN.

Revealing a “name” per se’ may, or may not be considered “Doxing” depending on the level of anticipated anonymity.   However, in this law, the term “restricted personal information” means, “with respect to an individual, the Social Security number, the home address, home phone number, mobile phone number, personal email, or home fax number of, and identifiable to, that individual.”   This is an important distinction to remember.

Once you outline the address or location of a person, within which a person can be placed at risk, YOU have VIOLATED THE LAW.  PERIOD.

In all cases if you outline the physical location of any individual with the intent to harm, shame, stalk, humiliate, endanger, or otherwise compromise the safety and security of ANY individual you have placed that person in a position of risk and you are in violation of ALL State Stalking laws.

THIS is the most commonly crossed line.

I CAN FIND THOSE PIECES OF INFORMATION USING GOOGLE SEARCH.  IS THAT STILL RESTRICTED?   YES.  It is illegal to announce or disseminate or post those listed pieces of information for the purposes listed in the law (18 USC § 119). Those are purposes such as threatening or intimidating or making it so others can harass or harm the person.   This law is about acts that endanger the safety of or encourage attacks against a person or a person’s family.   It is not about where you found the information.

READ THAT AGAIN:

This law is about acts that endanger the safety of, or encourage attacks against, a person or a person’s family.   It is not about where you found the information.

18 USC § 119

The information may or may not even be on the internet; that is not a factor for a charge.  A criminal act does not need to be physically possible for a charge to exist with regard to it.  The activity can take the form of cyber-space and internet posting.

Doxing might also be part of a conspiracy to harm, endanger, or even kill a person. Even if unintentionally if the action of the party is intended to threaten, harass or harm.

Doxing is always illegal, whether it is done against a federal employee, a state employee, or a regular person.   There are federal and state laws that specifically address doxing government employees  18 U.S.C. Sec 371 (18 U.S.C. Sec 119).

With regular non-governmental citizens, doxing falls under various state criminal laws, such as stalking, cyber stalking, harassment, threats, and other such laws, depending on the state.

Since these doxing threats and activities are made on the internet, the law of any state may be invoked, though most often an investigator will look to the state in which the person making the threat is located, if this is known, or the state in which the victim is situated.

A state prosecutor can only prosecute violations of the laws of his or her own state, and of acts that extend into their state.

However, when acts are on the internet, they extend into all the states.   Thereby allowing the victim to choose the state of filing which may, or may not, be the state of residence for the victim(s) or perpetrator(s).

Increasingly with internet use,  attorneys are affirming representation to the state with the strongest current legal remedies for Doxing, Cyber-Stalking, or Harassment.

Misinformation was spread that doxing is legal.  I am not sure how or why anyone fell for that misinformation. Surely, people must understand instinctively, even if they were misled about the law, that if they are threatening someone or putting them at risk, or tormenting or harassing the other on the internet, that this must be illegal.

Common sense would tell you that bullying or jeopardizing another would be illegal in some way. So yes, doxing is illegal, no matter who the target.  The difference is when it is on the internet it is Federal, or State.  When it is not via cyber space it is State issue/laws/ remedy only.

2seaoat

Next to impossible to get a conviction when there was not a preexisting known relationship which could qualify as to intent under the statute.

Those are purposes such as threatening or intimidating or making it so others can harass or harm the person.

A person could simply deny if they were dealing with a stranger that the above was their purpose. This would be much more difficult if it involved people who had prior relations.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Next to impossible to get a conviction when there was not a preexisting known relationship which could qualify as to intent under the statute.

Those are purposes such as threatening or intimidating or making it so others can harass or harm the person.  

A person could simply deny if they were dealing with a stranger
that the above was their purpose.  This would be much more difficult if it involved people who had prior relations.

Not buying it...especially when they are posting personal information regarding an anonymous posters employment. Or other information to humiliate the poster. Threats....

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 7/26/2017, 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

If somebody who is angry at me.....(get in line) posted my address, my work, and said that I was a dick.....that would not be a crime. If that person did the same and actually threatened to kick my asz, or like Bob....go out and search somebody down in person......if that persons actions were threatening and with the intention to harm that person, that could be a crime. Very very difficult to prosecute.

2seaoat

Over in Mobile Alabama, the SA advertises a phone number to call with cyber bullying and threats, and she promises her office will get involved, but 90% of those resolutions simply are a phone call which deescalates a situation. If she started to take those cases to trial....she would lose most of them absent actual threats which were initiated beyond the cyber world, and then would be nothing more than a barking dog on a chain.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:If somebody who is angry at me.....(get in line) posted my address, my work, and said that I was a dick.....that would not be a crime.   If that person did the same and actually threatened to kick my asz, or like Bob....go out and search somebody down in person......if that persons actions were threatening and with the intention to harm that person, that could be a crime.   Very very difficult to prosecute.

Not what the article says.

Prosecuting and winning the case may not happen.....but it would certainly ring up big bucks to defend.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconservativetreehouse.com/2012/11/28/the-illegal-activity-of-doxing-revealing-documents-or-personal-information-about-a-person-without-their-permission-with-the-intent-to-threaten-harass-intimidate-shame-humiliate-or-place/amp/

Why list someone's occupation and place of employment....why list information that would be harmful to a posters livelihood?

Because you are a dick.....it can be perceived as a personal threat.

Vikingwoman

I don't know where you got that info. Joani but it's not accurate.Posting personal info. is not a crime. It is readily available on the internet and newspapers do it all the time

2seaoat

The article can talk about how easy it is to prosecute, but it is not easy absent a tangible threat. If I am being a dick on this forum, and talking about how smart I am and that I kick people's asz, and somebody posts that I work at Burger king and I look like Wally Cox......how is that threatening or a tangible threat. It is telling the world who that person is......and absent malice and actual intent to harm.....tough to prosecute. It might be impolite. It may not be civil. It however would require more to become a crime. We live in a world where we get bumped and bruised every day. If we set the threshold of the legal system to engage because somebody is over sensitive, or afraid every time somebody disagrees, we are heading down a road where freedom and liberty are no longer enjoyed.

RealLindaL

Why is this being posted now, anyway, and why in the Politics section?

del.capslock

del.capslock

RealLindaL wrote:Why is this being posted now, anyway, and why in the Politics section?

Exactly!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

2seaoat

I will provide a link for the blind......its goes to whine of the month which is political because the whines seem to be domestic and probably should have a tariff applied except President Trump saved your jobs.....have whine will travel.

RealLindaL

So is this supposedly related to the Justice Department's seeking information on voters in all the states? I thought perhaps it was directed at one of Joani's feared socks.

Telstar

Telstar

del.capslock wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Why is this being posted now, anyway, and why in the Politics section?

Exactly!

Maybe it belongs in Mugshot, the longest running thread in PNJ history. Cool

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Telstar wrote:
del.capslock wrote:

Exactly!

Maybe it belongs in Mugshot, the longest running thread in PNJ history. Cool

No, it belongs here, right where you post the personal information.

Why list someone's occupation and place of employment....why list information that would be harmful to a posters livelihood?

Because you are a dick.....it can be perceived as a personal threat.

Sal

Sal

Actually, PeeDawg disclosed that he was a Pace high school teacher on this forum multiple times because he is a moron.

And if I remember right, it was Z who figured out his personal info because PeeDawg was posting on a different forum under the same moniker but with his identity public, because ... again ... moron.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:Actually, PeeDawg disclosed that he was a Pace high school teacher on this forum multiple times because he is a moron.

And if I remember right, it was Z who figured out his personal info because PeeDawg was posting on a different forum under the same moniker but with his identity public, because ... again ... moron.

No, Bill posted his full name and the school. Pace posted that he was a teacher. Z never posted personal information, Bill did. Z man had integrity.

Telstar

Telstar

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:Actually, PeeDawg disclosed that he was a Pace high school teacher on this forum multiple times because he is a moron.

No,  Bill posted his full name and the school. Pace posted that he was a teacher. Z never posted personal information, Bill did. Z man had integrity.

So boo on bill. I care more about the innocent minds being corrupted in a place where they should be learning. Why are you so concerned with people who are banned?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Telstar wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

No,  Bill posted his full name and the school. Pace posted that he was a teacher. Z never posted personal information, Bill did. Z man had integrity.

So boo on bill. I care more about the innocent minds being corrupted in a place where they should be learning. Why are you so concerned with people who are banned?

You are concerned about a school supposedly thousands of miles away from you. A school you trashed....why? What the hell do you know and why the hell would you even care, other than to embarrass and humiliate Pacedawg?

You are a fraud.

del.capslock

del.capslock

Joanimaroni wrote: What the hell do you know and why the hell would you even care, other than to embarrass and humiliate Pacedawg?

Aha! Now I understand why it was so easy for this guy to keep coming back: The gatekeeper keeps opening the door and beckoning him in.

What an embarrassment for the thousands of conscientious moderators everywhere.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

del.capslock wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote: What the hell do you know and why the hell would you even care, other than to embarrass and humiliate Pacedawg?

Aha! Now I understand why it was so easy for this guy to keep coming back: The gatekeeper keeps opening the door and beckoning him in.

What an embarrassment for the thousands of conscientious moderators everywhere.

That is not how it works. You got in with your sock.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Peedog spammed the forum. Now we're supposed to feel sorry for him?

del.capslock

del.capslock

Joanimaroni wrote:That is not how it works. You got in with your sock.

And what "sock" was that? Everyone, except apparently you, Ms. Moderator, knows I was btraven but I've deleted that identity.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Peedog spammed the forum.  Now we're supposed to feel sorry for him?

Not at all. Spamming the forum is irritating to others. The point is he should not have his personal private information revealed by Telstar and Del Cap period.

del.capslock

del.capslock

Joanimaroni wrote:Not at all. Spamming the forum is irritating to others. The point is he should not have his personal private information revealed by Telstar and Del Cap period.

Sissyboy Peedog, went sniveling to you and you immediately jumped to help him. Everyone here knows you'd never do the same thing for a liberal. You are a shameless partisan which makes you a bad moderator.

At long last, have you no shame?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum