Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DeVos confirmed

+2
RealLindaL
othershoe1030
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DeVos confirmed Empty DeVos confirmed 2/7/2017, 1:53 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The Senate today confirmed Betsy DeVos as secretary of education on a 51-50 vote - after a tie forced Vice President Mike Pence to cast the deciding vote.
DeVos, a longtime education activist and GOP mega-donor, becomes the nation's 11th education secretary after a bruising and unusually contentious confirmation battle.
Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska joined the Senate's Democrats and independents in voting against DeVos.
For the full story, click here.

The Democrats put on a all night "talk-a-thon" trying to gain just one more Republican vote but unfortunately failed. I called and emailed Rubio hoping he'd want to start building a more moderate image for the 2020 campaign but I guess that didn't happen.

Given how thin her knowledge of educational details proved to be I wonder how much damage she'll be able to do? Of course there's the puppet thing.

2DeVos confirmed Empty Re: DeVos confirmed 2/7/2017, 3:00 pm

RealLindaL

Overall a disgusting, entirely political pick, campaign donor payback, a woman with ZERO applicable experience. Things get worse every day.

3DeVos confirmed Empty Re: DeVos confirmed 2/7/2017, 3:12 pm

Sal

Sal

First time a Vice President has had to cast the deciding vote on a cabinet nominee.

You'd think with that level of opposition, a person of good conscience would just withdraw.

4DeVos confirmed Empty Re: DeVos confirmed 2/7/2017, 3:49 pm

Telstar

Telstar

DeVos confirmed 9-out-10

Then again bears don't suck up 1% money the way fake president Trump and the repubicklans do.

5DeVos confirmed Empty Re: DeVos confirmed 2/7/2017, 6:50 pm

2seaoat

The women never attended a public school, yet she has all but stated her position is to unravel the excellent public schools which are working in this nation. I only attended a catholic kindergarten and went to public schools thereafter. My wife attended catholic grade school through eighth grade and was taught by nuns. She is very bitter about the poor quality of her grade school compared to the public schools in her small town. She taught English for a year in a Catholic Junior High, and it was so inferior to that towns public schools she was shocked. Now in my town, there was a top 25 high school for boys, and a top 25 high school for girls in the state, and both were catholic schools with excellent teachers. Bad schools can happen in the private schools and the public schools and this idea that one size fits all, or a person who has never attended a public school is going to fix schools in America is a grave mistake.

6DeVos confirmed Empty Re: DeVos confirmed 2/7/2017, 8:31 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:The women never attended a public school, yet she has all but stated her position is to unravel the excellent public schools which are working in this nation.  I only attended a catholic kindergarten and went to public schools thereafter.  My wife attended catholic grade school through eighth grade and was taught by nuns.   She is very bitter about the poor quality of her grade school compared to the public schools in her small town.  She taught English for a year in a Catholic Junior High, and it was so inferior to that towns public schools she was shocked.  Now in my town, there was a top 25 high school for boys, and a top 25 high school for girls in the state, and both were catholic schools with excellent teachers.   Bad schools can happen in the private schools and the public schools and this idea that one size fits all, or a person who has never attended a public school is going to fix schools in America is a grave mistake.

I attended Catholic school through the 5th grade, when my parents decided it wasn't in my best interests to stay in a school where the 5th and 6th graders shared a classroom...and yet, when I transferred to public school, I was ahead, not behind. I had a similar experience with my kids, who started off at a private school, mainly because of their birthdays...November and December...and the fact that they were clearly ready for school. They transferred to public school, and did really well in both settings, but they were obviously ahead of the public school curriculum. There are issues with both...public and private, but the solution is NOT charter schools, unless they are warranted on the local level, and they must not be for-profit, with the attendant issues that have followed so many charter schools..."management" (for profit) companies...a tendency to fake grades...a general lack of accountability. Religious private schools should self-fund, not expect their money to come from local school districts. And we need real reform in public schools, who are stuck with Common Core...but that's a whole 'nuther subject.

7DeVos confirmed Empty Re: DeVos confirmed 2/7/2017, 8:37 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Almost forgot...Republican Senators, except for 2, voted for this unqualified woman.  Someone please tell me this wasn't a bought and paid for position.  GOP...you're going DOWN.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum