Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ONE state in the Midwest voted for Hillary Clinton. Illinois loses more residents in 2016 than any other state

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

ONE state in the Midwest voted for Hillary Clinton...and the citizens are leaving in droves.

Illinois loses more residents in 2016 than any other state
December 21, 2016

For the third consecutive year, Illinois has lost more residents than any other state, losing 37,508 people in 2016, which puts its population at the lowest it has been in nearly a decade, according to U.S. census data released Tuesday.

Illinois is among just eight states to lose residents, putting its population at 12,801,539 people, its lowest since about 2009. Illinois' population first began to drop in 2014, when the state lost 11,961 people. That number more than doubled in 2015, with a loss of 28,497 people, and further multiplied in 2016.

[...]

By most measures, Illinois' population will continue to sharply decline in the coming years as more residents call it quits on the state they call home. The Tribune last year surveyed dozens of former residents who had fled within the past five years, and all offered their own list of reasons for doing so. Common reasons included high taxes, the state budget stalemate, crime, the unemployment rate and the weather.

[...]

Leading the exodus to warmer states is the black population, in search of more stable incomes, safe neighborhoods and prosperity. Between 2014 and 2015, more than 9,000 black residents left Cook County. [Is this Mayor Emanual's plan?]

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-illinois-population-decline-met-20161220-story.html

2seaoat

I have promised not to respond to a fascist, but I would suggest if a person had an education, one might be able to understand what Illinois residents are doing.  First, 10k babyboomers a day are retiring.  Illinois has over a 3% income tax.  Illinois residents are in the top 10% of income by state, and have some of the largest public pensions for its retirees.   I know at least twenty people who have declared their second homes in Florida, and Arizona as their primary residence in the last year.   They spend 184 days in Arizona, or Florida.  Out of 250 members of a Country Club I used to belong, about 225 of the members had second homes in Arizona or Florida, and almost to the last one they have declared residency in the state with no income tax, and have forfeited their homestead exemption on their Illinois homes.   A homestead exemption in recent years has been as low as 3500, and now is close to 6000.  In Florida my friends are getting a 25k homestead, losing their 6000 exemption and gaining 19k exemption while on incomes in excess of 200k retirement they are saving over 6k a year income tax.  The total savings a year can be over 10k, and they were spending their winters in Florida and Az anyway.   This same formula works for people who have retirement income as low as 75k, and they still spend time with grandkids, and friends in Illinois where they live in the summer, but they strictly abide by the residency requirements of the state they declare their homestead.   They also vote in the state of residency.  That is the overwhelming loss of population in Illinois.....a pretty sweet proposition for people to avoid taxes.   However, explaining the same to stupid people......not going to happen.

2seaoat

Financial education for dummies.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/18/pf/taxes/state-tax/

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I have promised not to respond to a fascist, but I would suggest if a person had an education, one might be able to understand what Illinois residents are doing.  First, 10k babyboomers a day are retiring.  Illinois has over a 3% income tax.  Illinois residents are in the top 10% of income by state, and have some of the largest public pensions for its retirees.   I know at least twenty people who have declared their second homes in Florida, and Arizona as their primary residence in the last year.   They spend 184 days in Arizona, or Florida.  Out of 250 members of a Country Club I used to belong, about 225 of the members had second homes in Arizona or Florida, and almost to the last one they have declared residency in the state with no income tax, and have forfeited their homestead exemption on their Illinois homes.   A homestead exemption in recent years has been as low as 3500, and now is close to 6000.  In Florida my friends are getting a 25k homestead, losing their 6000 exemption and gaining 19k exemption while on incomes in excess of 200k retirement they are saving over 6k a year income tax.  The total savings a year can be over 10k, and they were spending their winters in Florida and Az anyway.   This same formula works for people who have retirement income as low as 75k, and they still spend time with grandkids, and friends in Illinois where they live in the summer, but they strictly abide by the residency requirements of the state they declare their homestead.   They also vote in the state of residency.  That is the overwhelming loss of population in Illinois.....a pretty sweet proposition for people to avoid taxes.   However, explaining the same to stupid people......not going to happen.

As a...MANAGING BROKER...a real estate broker by any other standard should know a bit more about the homestead tax exemption law. Perhaps even the Save our Homes amendment.

The article, based on inquiries of citizens who have left gave these reasons.  The Tribune last year surveyed dozens of former residents who had fled within the past five years, and all offered their own list of reasons for doing so. Common reasons included high taxes, the state budget stalemate, crime, the unemployment rate and the weather.

As for the taxes in each state.  Florida's budget is in line with out spending and our state retirement fund is fully funded.  No massive unfunded liability as in Illinois and California.

Oh, Florida doesn't have a residency requirement. You simply declare one home as your primary residence.

My guess is the residency is tied more to their income tax than the property tax but I don't know.

2seaoat

Also the trend really took off when Illinois had a temporary income tax for three years over 5% meaning that the retirees with 200k income were looking at 10-15k savings a year, and now the rate has returned to 3.75%, but it is only a matter of time when it returns to 5%. In California with folks have over a million dollars of income, the state income tax is over 13%, which means that people with high incomes are moving to the Naples area because they can save up to 130k a year, still live in California for less than half the year, and spend winters in Naples.......it is not just high income folks who are retiring and moving their residency on paper to qualify......it has become a real problem, and my friends all keep log books on every return trip to illinois, and the Illinois department of revenue does audits because of the massive amount of retirees who are taking the advantage of avoiding taxes, yet still basically being residents in their homes. You see Illinois is a wealthy state where tax avoidance by retirees does not mean they are leaving their homes, they are just enjoying their second homes while getting in some cases over a thousand dollars a month boost to retirement income. But some stupid thought the Chicago crime rate was at record levels.....you cannot handicap stupid.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Also the trend really took off when Illinois had a temporary income tax for three years over 5% meaning that the retirees with 200k income were looking at 10-15k savings a year, and now the rate has returned to 3.75%, but it is only a matter of time when it returns to 5%.  In California with folks have over a million dollars of income, the state income tax is over 13%, which means that people with high incomes are moving to the Naples area because they can save up to 130k a year, still live in California for less than half the year, and spend winters in Naples.......it is not just high income folks who are retiring and moving their residency on paper to qualify......it has become a real problem, and my friends all keep log books on every return trip to illinois, and the Illinois department of revenue does audits because of the massive amount of retirees who are taking the advantage of avoiding taxes, yet still basically being residents in their homes.  You see Illinois is a wealthy state where tax avoidance by retirees does not mean they are leaving their homes, they are just enjoying their second homes while getting in some cases over a thousand dollars a month boost to retirement income.  But some stupid thought the Chicago crime rate was at record levels.....you cannot handicap stupid.

As you know, and know well, no one has ever said the MURDER RATE in Chicago was not at RECORD LEVELS, but rather the "HIGHEST IN 20 YEARS".

2seaoat

Yep, all my friends in Geneva Illinois are moving their residency to Florida because of crime and quality of life. Not. This is simply a financial decision which upper middle class retirees have in mass adopted. They do not want to abandon the superior cultural and sporting environment of the suburbs, nor do they want to summer in misery in Florida or Arizona, where I once golfed with my brother at 9am on a mountain at 3500 feet in 110 degrees........Nope. My brother did declare his residency in AZ, but keeps a condo in Illinois near the grandkids and just takes the huge tax savings. I will never move to Florida as a permanent residence because the cultural difference are simply too great and as much as I have enjoyed the people, the climate, and the environment, there is nothing better than Chicago three hours away, and the natural beauty of where I am now. You could pay me 15k a year to just declare my residency in Florida, and I would laugh. I have seen enough of the Florida man to realize that I am a better visitor than I would be a Florida man......I probably could out crazy after a couple of years, but I simply do not have the time. I must admit I love the culture of Pensacola downtown and if I had not been sick, would have considered the same as a permanent residence.

2seaoat

As you know, and know well, no one has ever said the MURDER RATE in Chicago was not at RECORD LEVELS, but rather the "HIGHEST IN 20 YEARS".

That is why I do not waste my time. Under the current mayor his five year average crime rate is one half the all time high crime rate in Chicago. If somebody told a major league baseball player that his batting average was half of what is was at his peak over the last five years, I do not think somebody would be posting that he really is an all star........no lies and twisted facts to create an alternative universe are not going to be an area where I will waste time, but simply upper middle class folks are in mass retiring and maximizing tax avoidance.......there is NO mass migration from those states because of crime or any other fantasy created by a propaganda machine.......Geneva Illinois a crime hot spot.....too funny.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:As you know, and know well, no one has ever said the MURDER RATE in Chicago was not at RECORD LEVELS, but rather the "HIGHEST IN 20 YEARS".

That is why I do not waste my time.   Under the current mayor his five year average crime rate is one half the all time high crime rate in Chicago.  If somebody told a major league baseball player that his batting average was half of what is was at his peak over the last five years, I do not think somebody would be posting that he really is an all star........no lies and twisted facts to create an alternative universe are not going to be an area where I will waste time, but simply upper middle class folks are in mass retiring and maximizing tax avoidance.......there is NO mass migration from those states because of crime or any other fantasy created by a propaganda machine.......Geneva Illinois a crime hot spot.....too funny.

I understand but...it was YOU who lied about what was said.

The murder rate in Chicago is more than that of New York City and Los Angeles COMBINED. No one cares what they were twenty-five or more years ago. Other than you, most people live in the here and now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum