Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Panton Leslie & Company Trading Post landmark downtown-damaged by Park retention pond flood

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Located on the corner of Spring and Main Street. Behind the court house, across from the Maritime Park redlight east entrance. It is in deplorable condition. I'm assuming the city owns it. Its a small replica of the old trading post building.

It looks bad. Its needs some serious repair. All that moo la spend across the street & the city cannot repair/paint this lil doll house? Lets get Studer to repair it & rename it Studer Trading Post

I'm pretty sure the flooded maritime park retention pond, flooded this landmark, So who is responsible for paying for the damage?

Panton Leslie & Company Trading Post landmark downtown-damaged by Park retention pond flood 01810

Panton Leslie & Company Trading Post landmark downtown-damaged by Park retention pond flood 02110

Yella

Yella

Looks like a fine place to sell Olive Oil.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

no stress

no stress

Rumor is that this place is haunted by the family of midgets that once called it home. They were swept away in a catastrophe in nineteen ought seven never to be seen again...except on full moon nights when they wander down to the site of the old Red Garter and think back to the good old days of free love on Palafox. They;d run their little ghost sausage fingers over the few remaining bricks and try to scare passersby.

I have heard that it is going to be refurbished as Studers new office building that he promised. Just a little bit of new carpet and a little paint and it will look great....I think this is the new Monday night event. Panton Leslie & Company Trading Post landmark downtown-damaged by Park retention pond flood X410nn

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:I have heard that it is going to be refurbished as Studers new office building that he promised. Just a little bit of new carpet and a little paint and it will look great....I think this is the new Monday night event. Panton Leslie & Company Trading Post landmark downtown-damaged by Park retention pond flood X410nn

Naturally the city will pay for it and the estimated cost of refurbishing will be $20,000 but the final cost will be $259,000.The contractor will be GOBs Inc.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

I thought it housed pumps or something. See the pipe sticking out the side near the roof? It's getting kinda rough. Thanks for posting, BP.

Panton Leslie & Company Trading Post landmark downtown-damaged by Park retention pond flood 02110[/quote]

http://media.telluspoint.com/Pictures/Web/5641be88-cb6b-49a3-9831-b3a2a8426ee1.jpg

http://nextexithistory.com/PublicContents/Details/35446

n the years leading up to the American Revolution, a small group of Scottish merchants developed a profitable trading network with Native Americans in the Southern British colonies. Because of their connections to Great Britain, the partnership of William Panton, John Leslie and Thomas Forbes was forced to relocate to Spanish Florida upon American independence.

Known as Panton, Leslie and Company, they established a trading post in Pensacola, which boasted an ideal harbor for shipping. The vast surrounding wilderness facilitated trade with Native Americans, who provided valuable deerskins and furs in exchange for cloth, weapons and other supplies. Government officials in Pensacola granted Panton, Leslie and Company a monopoly on the deerskin trade and the right to sell some commodities to the general public. The half-Scottish chief of the Creek Indians, Alexander McGillivray, proved a valuable ally, convincing the local native population to trade almost exclusively with Panton, Leslie and Company, and, in return, sharing in the Company's profits.

Through their partnership with McGillivray, the Company was able to serve as the government's "eyes and ears" among the Indians. With trade routes eventually stretching throughout Mississippi, Alabama and as far north as Memphis, the Company employed agents who traveled on foot through the wilderness, in addition to numerous clerks and laborers in the Company-owned tanyard and wharfs. The impressive 3-story brick mansion that served as the Company headquarters was one of the most expensive and distinguished buildings in Pensacola.

For more information on the walking tour:
www.wix.com/PensacolaMaritime/HistoricTour

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum