Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Clostridium difficile Infection

+3
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Clostridium difficile Infection Empty Clostridium difficile Infection 1/20/2017, 11:22 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

That’s been me for the past 2 weeks, and the reason I have not posted since 1/14. I was admitted to West Florida Hospital late on 1/14, and just released this afternoon.

A Clostridium difficile infection is a bacterial infection of the colon, and is very infectious/contagious. I won’t be over it for several weeks, I am told, but at least now I am being treated for it. We are trying to get a stool sample kit for Mrs. Z, as she also has an irritated bowel. I keep tracing the outbreak to some possibly contaminated pre-chopped onions that we bought at a nearby Publix the week before last, and used in two uncooked dishes we had for dinner (egg salad and tuna fish salad). Both of us experienced very gassy/farty symptoms from each meal.

I went to the hospital because I was up and down sick last week, with an irritated bowel that churned like a washing machine and became nearly uncontrollable two different times. By closest comparison, the symptoms were similar to but not exactly like those I had during my heart attack in late 2014. I eventually reported to the ER at West Florida Hospital since that is where I went when I had my heart attack two years ago. The ER doctor wanted to admit me for observation because of my cardiac history. Further cardiac evaluation revealed that my heart was fine, so the focus turned to my irritated bowel. A stool sample revealed the C. diff. infection.

While I was gone, my family went on a sterilization rampage around my house. The hospital also posted an infectious contact sign outside my room. I’m on metronidazole and probiotics to see if we can beat this down. We are being very careful to make sure this bug does not spread anywhere from me now that I am home.

This infection causes bad things under worst-case scenarios. My stomach is still churning, but we will see how this plays out over the course of antibiotics. I am otherwise fine and will eventually make it over to the sandbox in the Politics section.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I am glad you are ok. I noticed Monday I had not seen you posting. That sounds very scary in regard to contagious and the impact on your wife. I have those symptoms every day, but it is caused by the high hormone counts impacting the large intestine. Get better, but a forum member had sent me a PM not knowing Bob had passed, and I suddenly thought birthday boy made it to 65 and no posts......oh oh.

2seaoat

Also, with you gone, the spam master had nobody to talk with as most people have given up trying to have an intelligent conversation. You always do charity work around here, so in your absence he was starving for attention.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

So sorry to hear you have been sick.....with C-diff. Please take care and know you will be in my prayers. C-diff is a nasty bug.

RealLindaL

Z-man, thanks so much for checking in and I'm so glad you got some help right away for this serious infection.   I'm sure you know but will mention for others' interest that C diff infection is also a known side-effect risk of antibiotic use, especially a few relatively common types, and can begin well after the time the antibiotic is actually administered.  This is the main reason so many docs now recommend taking probiotics while on any antibiotic regimen.

Quoting from an NIH article online (with references deleted, BBM):

Diarrhoea is a common complication of antibiotics. It occurs in between 5% and 39% of patients depending on the population and type of antibiotic : adults over the age of 65 years are known to be at the top end of this range, and broad spectrum antibiotics also impart a greater risk than narrow spectrum, in particular, clindamycin, cephalosporins and fluoroquinolones . There is no universal agreement on which antibiotics impart greatest risk and any antibiotic may disrupt the colonic microbiota resulting in diarrhoea . AAD [antibiotic associated diarrhea] can occur up to 2–3 weeks following cessation of antibiotic therapy rather than during the treatment.

CDAD [C diff associated diarrhea) is a severe form of diarrhoea caused by the C. difficile bacteria. These bacteria produce a toxin resulting in symptoms ranging from mild diarrhoea to inflammation of the bowel (pseudomembranous colitis), which can cause death. CDAD is responsible for around 10–20% of all cases of AAD and it can occur up to 8 weeks after antibiotic therapy . There are three key risk factors for the development of this infection; antibiotic use, increasing age, and hospitalization. C. difficile is contagious and spreads easily from patient to patient, thus initial outbreaks can rapidly spread to other patients unless strict and comprehensive infection control measures are put in place immediately.

Z, please let us know over time how you and your wife are faring.  Wishing you the best and sorry you're both having to go through this.  Look forward to seeing you on the Politics forum when you're up to it.   Smile

Markle

Markle

Thanks for letting us know. I am very sorry about your health. At our age it seems it is just patch, patch, patch.

I will keep you and your loved ones in my prayers for a speedy recovery. May God bless you.

I'm sorry Zman... that sounds terrible. Thanks for going into detail tho... the info we share is helpful. You never know when we or our family could wind up with these symptoms and think it just a routine bug.

dumpcare

Glad to see you've back and better. I've had c diff 3 times, once back in 96 and twice in the past two years, each time traced to antibiotics. I eat activia almost everyday now and when I'm on antibiotics also take a probiotic tablet plus the yogurt. Keflex gave it to me the first time.

Last edited by ppaca on 1/21/2017, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Did anybody catch it from you, and did the doctors isolate you?

dumpcare

edited

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:Glad to see you've back and better. I've had c diff 3 times, once back in 96 and twice in the past two years, each time traced to antibiotics. I eat activia almost everyday now and when I'm on antibiotics also take a probiotic tablet plus the yogurt. Keflex gave it to me the first time.

Glad you won the battles each time, ppaca. Thanks also for the info and the backup about antibiotics as a cause. My understanding as a lay person is that there is scant if any evidence that C diff is a foodborne illness. Thought Z-man might want to know that, just in case.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Interesting posts, folks. I think my wife has it. We must get her tested. Based on the info in this thread, I may have gotten it from her. She had been on a regimen of Keflex for a week for an infection in a finger. She now thinks she may have acquired it and then gave it to me.

Here is another thing: I often go a few days without a bowel movement, and C diff releases toxins into your colon. The days I was sickest, with symptoms that compared to the feelings I had when I had my heart attack, were days when I had not had a BM in a couple of days. I felt very run-down and fatigued those days.

I am feeling better now, and I appreciate the well wishes from you all. Over to the sand box soon--Can't wait to climb into the sandbox to fling some sand around!
Razz

2seaoat

When we are at home my wife shops once a week. I do not like over ripe fruit, so over time she would get fruit and I would have it the first couple days, but it would get soft and over ripe, and she was throwing a lot out so we cut down the fruit in our diet. Down here we are going to the grocery store every two or three days and she is getting fresh apples and pears, and I have two pieces of fruit a day, and with all my digestive issues I find that I have not felt this good in a long time fighting the big C. I always thought an apple a day keeps the doctor away was silly.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I have to be mending from it. No churning gut today. Also, I felt good enough to sneak my first taste of chocolate in a week after my wife jumped in the shower. It was heavenly!

I must take the meds and probiotics and get through this completely.

RealLindaL

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I have to be mending from it. No churning gut today. Also, I felt good enough to sneak my first taste of chocolate in a week after my wife jumped in the shower. It was heavenly!

Glad to know you're doing better, Z, and it sure does sound as if your wife's Keflex -- one of the antibiotics most inclined to cause C diff -- was the culprit. Smart of you to make sure she gets checked out.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I have to be mending from it. No churning gut today. Also, I felt good enough to sneak my first taste of chocolate in a week after my wife jumped in the shower. It was heavenly!

Thought of you a couple of days ago....when I saw a Cadbury egg.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:When we are at home my wife shops once a week.  I do not like over ripe fruit, so over time she would get fruit and I would have it the first couple days, but it would get soft and over ripe, and she was throwing a lot out so we cut down the fruit in our diet.   Down here we are going to the grocery store every two or three days and she is getting fresh apples and pears, and I have two pieces of fruit a day, and with all my digestive issues I find that I have not felt this good in a long time fighting the big C.  I always thought an apple a day keeps the doctor away was silly.

I was told to eat plenty of raw fruits and vegetables which i was doing...after more scans they changed it up. No raw fruits and vegetables.

Last edited by Joanimaroni on 1/21/2017, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sal

Sal

Glad you're feeling better, Z.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:Glad you're feeling better, Z.

Thanks, Sal! I know I am pushing past it. Not much activity in the gut today, compared to the last few days....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum