Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

You make my pants want to get up and dance. Smile All is good.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

It gets hard.....

Dr Hook played at the "Barrels" across from now the Mcdonald's on Navy Blvd..The double quonset hut building. Owsley Lumber scored a lot of old whiskey barrels and the bar owners made tables and chairs out of them, Therefore the name "barrels" was more than fitting. Ray nad his band really put on a great show, I have been a fan ever since.....

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I like his sound it's different and just plain fun to groove to.

hallmarkgrad wrote:Dr Hook played at the "Barrels" across from now the Mcdonald's on Navy Blvd..The double quonset hut building. Owsley Lumber scored a lot of old whiskey barrels and the bar owners made tables and chairs out of them, Therefore the name "barrels" was more than fitting. Ray nad his band really put on a great show, I have been a fan ever since.....

I used to go to The Barrels frequently. Of course I was a spring chicken, Georgie Boy. You are MUCH older... Razz

I don't remember going there for the Dr. Hook concert... but remember when they played there.

Old time places I used to frequent... The place on Fairfield Drive (South of Town & Country Plaza), now a fabric or carpet place, the Electric Experience. Then there was a place called the Raspberry Balloon on Navy Blvd. (@ a quarter-mile East of Old Corry). Bars- The Flight Deck on Navy and The Golden Tub (near Escambia HS).

The best place to shoot pool was The Golden Crown Recreation Center at Mobile Highway & Fairfield. They had the liveliest rails and best felt. It was very family-friendly. If you wanted traditional pool ambiance, the Union Pool Hall on Wright was a good place.

Yes.... Union Pool hall and Brownsville Pool room(back of the Gulf theater_) running a close second. Doc Greens pool room was all ways a nice quaint place to visit. A nice place to relax after you had a few drinks at Abes 506 club.

I liked the Bayou Liquor store just over the Bayou chico draw bridge. You could cash your check then buy a pint of whiskey and stand at the counter and drink. They provided Ice and cups. Good way to start the weekend
My favorite Beer joint was the "Lamppost' just south of Leonard st on "O" st.

Bar "Floridian" on government was a good place also but it was in the city so you had to be a little more careful.

And of course the "Torch" Lounge/Package store for your big booze purchases.

I never found the allure of "Traders". I knew him very well and used to do some handy man work for him, He used to really rob the "cool" people if they got drunk and he could get close to their money. I had a girl friend that worked there but that is another story. Back in the early days he really used to trade for stuff to hang on the wall or to throw up in the big net that hung on the ceiling. Fire dept made him take the net down. Once I traded a big ass Turtle shell that I found on Gulf Beach for 2 cases of Falstaff beer My favorite game to watch was "Stop the Music" They played it on the girlie stage. Where you have a line of chairs, play the music, remove a chair, stop the music and every one scrambles/fights for a seat. LOL Damn Navy guys in their "Whites" used to get drunk and play. When things got too bad the Shore Patrol and Fuzz came and calmed it down. Wunderfuul wunderfull as TJ used to say. Good times.... . ........................................I almost forgot... The Horse Shoe bar downtown.....

no stress

no stress

I looked for yall down at the park this morning. I was gonna walk a bit with you.

That would have neat. We took a break today. Maybe tomorrow? 7 am? Maybe Bob will check in............

My brother was a musician and always had a small band. Mostly country, some rock and roll. Sometimes he would play out a NAS at the Acey Ducey club. Kind of Quonset hut small building type of thing, it was set off by its self. Damn What a place. Those guys really used to like to party and just have a good time. Hell, we should have payed them!! Rita and I were talking about it just a few days ago. They would always let us buy as much beer as we wanted. 4 dollars a case or something like that. They were always glad to see the band and the place was usually packed out. Really good people,,,,,,,,,,,,

I saw Dr Hook at the fair in Jax for the first time. Love them....

This thread title made me think of Gunz previous avatar though Very Happy

hallmarkgrad wrote:[b]I never found the allure of "Traders".

The last time I was in Traders, I arrived drunk from a party on P. Beach and somebody bought me another drink. I took one sip and had to get fresh air. I wasn't driving, so I found the car we came in and it was locked. I laid down on the ground next to it with my head up against a tire.

A city cop came by and was relieved to see me move. He said "I thought you was dead". He told me to get the keys from the driver and unlock the car and wait for the crowd inside the car.

I thought he was very reasonable about it... I was drunk but I wasn't stirring up shit or anything. Surprised

No Walk tomorrow...Bob is flying with the Blue Angels.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum