Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Remembering John Glenn

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Remembering John Glenn Empty Remembering John Glenn 12/9/2016, 4:39 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

John Glenn, first American to orbit the Earth, dies at 95

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/john-glenn-dead/

I remember watching the launch of John Glenn on TV from the den of the first house I lived in, growing-up. I was in the 4th grade then.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2Remembering John Glenn Empty Re: Remembering John Glenn 12/9/2016, 4:53 pm

Amazingly brave. It was like Russian Roulette back then.

3Remembering John Glenn Empty Re: Remembering John Glenn 12/9/2016, 5:04 pm

Telstar

Telstar

PkrBum wrote:Amazingly brave. It was like Russian Roulette back then.

Spam in a can.

4Remembering John Glenn Empty Re: Remembering John Glenn 12/9/2016, 7:44 pm

2seaoat

I have a fond memory of John Glenn when he was serving in the senate. We took the kids to DC for Spring break and visited the house and senate. The kids and Mrs. Seaoat were pretty tired because we parked the car and were visiting everything. When we got to the senate, I was excited because John Glenn had the floor and was debating a provision of the Clean Air Act as it related to coal. I do not even remember which side of the debate, but I was so excited to see one of my childhood heroes standing up and making compelling arguments.

However, we got kicked out of the gallery. You see I was totally into the floor debate and had not bothered to look at the wife and kids. They were out cold and the wife was snoring. One of the Pages came up to me and said, " sir you are going to have to leave. we do not allow sleeping in the gallery." I was very disappointed because I was just getting into the debate where Glenn seemed to be taking a minority position. The wife was embarrassed, as I asked if I wake them up can we stay..........No sir. So I always told the kids that they were like the Puerto Riccan terrorist in the Gallery who almost brought down the government.

5Remembering John Glenn Empty Re: Remembering John Glenn 12/9/2016, 9:15 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I have a fond memory of John Glenn when he was serving in the senate.  We took the kids to DC for Spring break and visited the house and senate.  The kids and Mrs. Seaoat were pretty tired because we parked the car and were visiting everything.   When we got to the senate, I was excited because John Glenn had the floor and was debating a provision of the Clean Air Act as it related to coal.  I do not even remember which side of the debate, but I was so excited to see one of my childhood heroes standing up and making compelling arguments.

However, we got kicked out of the gallery.  You see I was totally into the floor debate and had not bothered to look at the wife and kids.   They were out cold and the wife was snoring.   One of the Pages came up to me and said, " sir you are going to have to leave.   we do not allow sleeping in the gallery."   I was very disappointed because I was just getting into the debate where Glenn seemed to be taking a minority position.   The wife was embarrassed, as I asked if I wake them up can we stay..........No sir.   So I always told the kids that they were like the Puerto Riccan terrorist in the Gallery who almost brought down the government.

No sleeping in the gallery??

I remember visiting as a child before the advent of CSPAN, and there were congress critters not only sleeping on the floor, but sleeping on the floor in their pajamas.

It was quite a scene.

6Remembering John Glenn Empty Re: Remembering John Glenn 12/9/2016, 9:47 pm

2seaoat

The year after we visited Gettysburg with the kids, and if you remember the big topo of the battlefield with lights and hills and a person from the park service would give a lecture about the battle, but this year instead of sleeping, Mrs. Seaoat, my oldest daughter, and youngest son got the giggles.....I do not mean quiet giggles, I mean full fledged belly laughs which spilled across the room, and people were laughing at my family, and then people were laughing at those people, all the while we are being told about 50k plus deaths in basically a couple days. Again, I was a little taken back because I cannot get enough battle information.

John Glenn in grade school orbiting the earth was piped in over our announcement system as our entire school listened to the radio. America was simple.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum