Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the 2016-17 NBA champions: Cleveland Cavaliers

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

2seaoat

Curry and the Warriors are the best team in the NBA. He is the point guard who makes that team work. He has a new player who can easily score 25 point a game average. Green, Curry, and Thompson all will see their point average drop. James this year is not the highest average on the Cavs, yet the Cavs are a better team this year than last. James is more valuable to his team scoring less points where he is not even in the top ten in the league which a fool would argue that how can James be the Goat in the future when year in and year out he was not the top scorer, but knowledgeable basketball people know it is about winning and team play. So will Curry win the MVP this year. I do not think he will. I think there is one player in the league from OK who depending on how OK finishes will win the same this year.

2seaoat

Thompson sixty points......depth of starters and offensive potential is unprecedented.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:Lil' Curry doesn't lead his own team in any stat line.  MVP!  MVP!  MVP!

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Golden_State_Warriors/9/Stats
Unanimous MVP!

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote: He is the point guard who makes that team work.

By watching his small forward lead them in assists?  He is the point guard who stands behind the arc and waits for a catch and shoot.  

There is a word for that type of player:  role player.

Splish splash!  Splish splash!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the 2016-17 NBA champions:  Cleveland Cavaliers - Page 2 EPwur6E

2seaoat

Your concepts are not congruent.   You can call him a role player, but unanimously a role player was voted MVP last year.   That has never been done so if your assumption that a role player cannot be the best player, the experts would disagree with you.

Will he be MVP this season?  I think he will be in the top five, but there is nobody doing it better than a player from OK......Nobody.

James is having a good game against NY tonight, as they barely won their last game which would have been four in a row losses, he is taking over the game and not allowing complacency with the cavs.

Westbrook is killing it. When you make the argument that somebody is the goat, and during his era four or five players each year are playing better.......it is hard to dig out of that hole when the rings are not there.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Your concepts are not congruent.   You can call him a role player, but unanimously a role player was voted MVP last year.   That has never been done so if your assumption that a role player cannot be the best player, the experts would disagree with you.

He was voted MVP because the award no longer goes to the actual most valuable or best player. He hit a historic number of threes at a very high percentage and played on the best team. That is why he won the award. But he clearly was not, is not, has never been the best player on the planet. That much was painfully obvious to anyone - sans baby boomers - who watched last years Final.

Curry isn't the one making that team work, and he wasn't last year either. He is a role player. Today, Kevin Durant is making that team work. He lead them last night in rebounds and assists. When it isn't Kevin Durant doing that, it's Draymond Green - leading on the defensive side and on assits. Even Klay Thompson is better than Curry because he can play both ways.

Splish splash! Splish splash!

boards of FL

boards of FL

Here is a tidbit on player value. When Curry missed two games in last year's playoffs, he didn't move the line at all. When his return was announced, he didn't move the line at all.

Draymond Green's suspension moved the line. And I can guarantee you that if Kevin Durant were to sit out, that would move the line.

Valuable players move the line. Role players generally do not. And if LeBron were to retire today, the Cavs wouldn't even be in the top 15 with respect to Vegas Odds to win a title. Curry could retire today and the Warriors would still be top three, if not #1.

2seaoat

Well your analysis is absolutely flawed. Curry won unanimously MVP last year, and without Curry last year the Warriors would never have made the finals. Last year if James did not play, the Cavs would still have won the East. Sorry, that is the reality of last year, and the historical weak east last year would have had a Jamesless Cavs in the finals.

Now if you want to argue this year that Curry is the MVP of the league, I would disagree. The Warriors have a weaker bench, but a much stronger starting five where the points will be divided among four all stars. The Cavs obliterated a roseless Knicks team, and if James was on vacation, they still would have won. This year if anybody was fair, Westbrook will win the MVP. James will be third in the balloting this year. His 14 year career always has had better players around him in any year with the exception of four years where he probably was the MVP.

I would still take Curry over James to build a team right now. James is fading and Curry has ten years of stellar role playing for winning teams ahead of him. I see Curry getting five to seven rings before his career is over. I firmly believe that the Cavs WITH James will not win the east this year, and he will end his career with three rings. He will have stats like the mailman a great hall of fame player, but like the mailman will not have gotten the rings. I see James as the number 10 on the goat list, and the potential for current players to pass him.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Well your analysis is absolutely flawed.  Curry won unanimously MVP last year, and without Curry last year the Warriors would never have made the finals.

A bunch of sports writers voted and said that Curry was the MVP.  Vegas says that Curry's presence doesn't move the line.  Some homer asshat can be a sports writer and vote with the herd, effectively mailing it in.  Sports writers have been known to get voter fatigue after giving the MVP to the same guy every year.  

Vegas never mails it in.  Vegas never gets line setting fatigue.  Vegas is always rooted in reality.   Sportswriters are rooted in narrative.  The smart money understands that Vegas has it right.

2seaoat wrote:Last year if James did not play, the Cavs would still have won the East.  Sorry, that is the reality of last year, and the historical weak east last year would have had a Jamesless Cavs in the finals.

Hahahahahahahaha. LeBron sat out 15 games last year. The Cavs lost 12 of those games. But Mr. Rose Glasses Baby Boomer over here says they would win the east.

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Last year if James did not play, the Cavs would still have won the East.  Sorry, that is the reality of last year, and the historical weak east last year would have had a Jamesless Cavs in the finals.
Hahahahahahahaha.  LeBron sat out 15 games last year.  The Cavs lost 12 of those games.  But Mr. Rose Glasses Baby Boomer over here says they would win the east.

Ouch ...

... that's gonna leave a mark.

2seaoat

Ouch ...

Ouch....James is not even the points leader on the Cavs......get up to date. A goat who cannot even be the point leader on his own team.....please. Irving is an All star. Love is an all star. The Cavs have one of the best benches in the NBA. The Cavs are going to have a very difficult time getting by the Bulls. It is a match up thing which was obvious in their first meeting. Injuries are part of the NBA, but the Bulls have been up ten to fifteen points on the Spurs all night with rebounding and defense. The weakness of the Cavs is interior play and poor defense. They have one of the best three point shooting teams in the league against poor defense, but when they play good defense it is an entire different matter. James had a historic championship series last year, but that is only the third time he has performed, and his failures which are glaring still leave a stain on his play.

2seaoat

The Bulls dominated the Spurs tonight. I do not think the Spurs are the team coming out of the West. The Clippers just got beat like a rug by the Warriors, so all the hype about the Clippers, it is still the Warriors.

I know this is a homey move, but the Bulls once they get carter williams back and Doug gets back in the grove after seven games on concussion protocol will be a force to be dealt with in the top eight teams in the NBA. I think they match up best with the Cavs, and I am looking forward to their second meeting. The Warriors continue to be the best team in the NBA.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Ouch ...

Ouch....James is not even the points leader on the Cavs......get up to date.  A goat who cannot even be the point leader on his own team.....please.  Irving is an All star.   Love is an all star.  The Cavs have one of the best benches in the NBA.  The Cavs are going to have a very difficult time getting by the Bulls.  It is a match up thing which was obvious in their first meeting.   Injuries are part of the NBA, but the Bulls have been up ten to fifteen points on the Spurs all night with rebounding and defense.   The weakness of the Cavs is interior play and poor defense.   They have one of the best three point shooting teams in the league against poor defense, but when they play good defense it is an entire different matter.  James had a historic championship series last year, but that is only the third time he has performed, and his failures which are glaring still leave a stain on his play.

James leads the Cavs in assists and only trails Irving in scoring by 0.5 points per game.   He's only taking 17 shots per game to Irving's 19.  In other words, he's assisting everyone else while still effectively tied in scoring. And just wait until the playoffs come around. He'll lead everyone in everything, sometimes on both teams. You know, like he did in last year's final against the best team in NBA history. It was the greatest Finals performance in NBA history, dwarfing anything Jordan ever did on his team of HOFers while playing scrubs.

And lastly, the Cavs won't have to worry about "getting by" teams that don't make the playoffs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum