Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where were you today? November 22, 1963

+5
knothead
Telstar
RealLindaL
Joanimaroni
Markle
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

Driving to work on the new Palmetto Expressway in Miami from a first-semester class. I wondered why cars were pulling off the highway and just stopping on the side of the road. Then it came on my radio.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

In school,  Sacred Heart Elementary. The entire school went into the church for mass and we said the rosary.

RealLindaL

In a beauty parlor on Patterson Avenue in Richmond, VA, getting my hair done for some special event on the weekend. Somehow I'd gotten out of school (Thomas Jefferson High) early that day (Friday). I was waiting my turn and heard the news over the establishment's music system. I recall sitting there with tears just running down my face, and with several older ladies watching me closely as if perhaps they were interested to see what youth's reaction would be.

I was not quite three years old but I remember my mother watching TV and crying.

A few years later I remember my Dad waking me up for school and telling me Reverend King was dead. Then only a few months later, Bobby Kennedy.

Too much for a young mind to process but I will never forget how it impacted my parents and the tears and hugs they shared.

Telstar

Telstar

Grade school. We were having a party, I guess it was an early Thanksgiving party. The principal made the announcement that the President was dead over the intercom. The teachers started crying and hugging each other. No regular TV. On Sunday Oswald was shot and I remember wondering why people were upset about that. Monday was the Kennedy funeral and John John's salute. Things started getting back to normal on Tuesday with the return of regular T.V.

knothead

knothead

Arguably one of the darkest days of my life. I was 18 years old and had recently been hired by the L&N Railroad as a clerk. On that fateful day I was training in Hopkinsville, Ky., a small but busy agency along the north/south corridor between Chicago and Nashville.  Once the news broke over the radio all work ceased and everyone was locked in disbelief and horror listening to the updates as events unfolded in Dallas.  When the voice came over the radio announcing emotionally that "the President is dead . . . . the President of the United States is dead".  The finality of hearing that was devastating to me as a young naive kid but left me with a simple why? Later that day and after driving home I first stopped at my girlfriend's house. Her mother came in and said there was a phone call for me and it was my oldest brother calling to tell me that our beloved Uncle (Jess) was dead.  I won't go into his history but he had no kids of his own and largely devoted himself equally to the kids in our larger family, i.e., vacations, Christmas, etc., he had just always been there and now he too was gone.  I won't dramatize it but for me personally it was a red line for me emotionally . . . . . my reaction was I was unable to respond vocally to my brother but simply dropped the handset to the floor and left the house.  A traumatic experience for our nation and it remains a very very vivid memory even after all these years.

That was compelling Knot... thanks.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:Arguably one of the darkest days of my life. I was 18 years old and had recently been hired by the L&N Railroad as a clerk. On that fateful day I was training in Hopkinsville, Ky., a small but busy agency along the north/south corridor between Chicago and Nashville.  Once the news broke over the radio all work ceased and everyone was locked in disbelief and horror listening to the updates as events unfolded in Dallas.  When the voice came over the radio announcing emotionally that "the President is dead . . . . the President of the United States is dead".  The finality of hearing that was devastating to me as a young naive kid but left me with a simple why? Later that day and after driving home I first stopped at my girlfriend's house. Her mother came in and said there was a phone call for me and it was my oldest brother calling to tell me that our beloved Uncle (Jess) was dead.  I won't go into his history but he had no kids of his own and largely devoted himself equally to the kids in our larger family, i.e., vacations, Christmas, etc., he had just always been there and now he too was gone.  I won't dramatize it but for me personally it was a red line for me emotionally . . . . . my reaction was I was unable to respond vocally to my brother but simply dropped the handset to the floor and left the house.  A traumatic experience for our nation and it remains a very very vivid memory even after all these years.

Heartbreaking.

polecat

polecat

I was 2 years old so somewhere in Pensacola.

Sal

Sal

Not yet even a twinkle in the old man's eye ....

.... but, I saw the movie.

Telstar

Telstar

Sal wrote:Not yet even a twinkle in the old man's eye ....

Back and to the left...back and to the left...

Sal

Sal

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I was 11 years old; soon to turn 12. I was sitting in my 6th Grade class at Caroline Payne Harris Elementary School, in Bakersfield, CA. Our teacher came into the classroom and said: "Class, I have some terrible news for you. President Kennedy has been shot and he is dead."

My first thought was that USSR Premier Nikita Kruschev was behind the killing, and I wondered when the nuclear bombs would start going off. Such was the life of an older Baby Boomer child. We had to live with the fact that we were highly vulnerable. At the time, both countries were rather stiff-necked about touting their ability to blow-up their rival.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

Thanks, friends I hope to see a few more. Some really interesting and heartfelt stories.

Thanks again!

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:
Sal wrote:Not yet even a twinkle in the old man's eye ....

Back and to the left...back and to the left...

You guys (and Seinfeld) are toooo funny.

RealLindaL

And then there was poor knot's story -- soooo sad. Crying or Very sad

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I was in my 7th grade history class. The news came over the loudspeaker. I was, I think, in shock. Just 3 years earlier, I had been transfixed by JFK on the TV at my uncle's house. "Who is that?", I asked. I was 10 when JFK was elected and 13 when he died. I believe that was one of the darkest days in our history. And I don't believe LBJ had anything to do with it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum