Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

West Pensacola/Lillian Questions

+4
Floridatexan
Hallmarkgard
2seaoat
JohnSilver
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

JohnSilver

RealLindaL wrote:you may want to consider doing a more in-depth look at property taxes...

Real, I appreciate the response, links, and persuasive pitch, and I agree - We need to look closely at the whole package. I will contact the Escambia tax assessor after the dust settles and run the numbers.

JohnSilver

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Dr. Lane wants to ignore every impact but the industrial ones, because she is a part of those other impacts.

Good to know, thank you.

JohnSilver

Sal wrote:
JohnSilver wrote:
We have lived just about everywhere and decided to try rural, so we are currently in north central Arkansas.  

[font=Arial Black]I was wondering from whence you might be hailing that would make the armpit of America look appealing.

I guess north central Arkansas would meet the criteria.

We've lived or worked in the largest cities in the world (Sao Paulo, Seoul, NYC), and in some of the smallest, including a tiny island in the Pacific. We've lived on the west coast, on the plains, and on the east coast. I was born and raised in New Orleans. I can't really say any of those places were armpits although some places satisfied my wants and needs more so than others.

I am curious. Why do you feel the Pensacola area is the armpit of America, and why would you think north central Arkansas would be a notch worse?

JohnSilver

2seaoat wrote:I do not know what you are budgeting for housing, but there are pretty reasonable rents in areas of Pensacola, and Santa Rosa County. Gulf Breeze, Navarre, and Milton all have some really affordable rents and housing. I have noticed a lot of homes are selling at market price as it appears the foreclosures have worked their way through the system. The Homestead exemption is great if you want to lower your property taxes, but all my family is from Alabama, and honestly being close to Pensacola gives you all kinds of access to the water. The Blackwater and Yellow River are amazing. You can check out Garcon point where you can get a five acre parcel and a home for next to nothing, but we would be remiss to not tell you that some areas need to be investigated as to how they did during Hurricane Ivan......it is no fun here or over in Alabama or MS when you are talking about Hurricanes.

I've studied the surge patterns in detail, and it is amazing how insurance can cost $10k for simple $150k structures on Mobile Bay. There are some great places 20+ feet off the water along Perdido Bay, and a whole lot of them in low surge areas on Pensacola Bay. I actually like the smell of a good tropical storm and while I don't want to see property destroyed or people hurt, I understand the risks of living in the area and can manage to it.

Hallmarkgard

John...The "Armpit"Thing is just a term that gets thrown around to excite responses..  BTW I spent a year in Young dong po back in the 60s...

JohnSilver

Hallmarkgard wrote:John...The "Armpit"Thing is just a term that gets thrown around to excite responses..  BTW I spent a year in Young dong po back in the 60s...

I spent way too much time in itaewon during the 70's Smile

2seaoat

John...The "Armpit"Thing is just a term that gets thrown around to excite responses.. BTW I spent a year in Young dong po back in the 60s...

We just lost our favorite forum member to cancer, and it was an inside joke to agitate him with armpit line. He was a lifetime Pensacola resident, and most of us are still hurting from the loss, and will miss him after sharing with him for 12 years. We all are a little lost right now, and are happy if you are a new member, but most people who come here have been here before and we call a new name a sock to hide their real identity. Deep in my heart I wish you were a sock, because Bob was the master of socks, but too many people have confirmed he is gone.

Bob was our hurricane junkie and he would be giving you all kinds of information if he was still with us......but he is not. Z, PK, and Hallmark all have good knowledge of the west side to the Alabama border. I just play poker at the dog track and do not know the area that well.

JohnSilver

2seaoat wrote:We just lost our favorite forum member to cancer, and it was an inside joke to agitate him with armpit line.

Understood. Appreciate the explanation and I am sorry for your loss.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Hallmarkgard wrote:John...The "Armpit" Thing is just a term that gets thrown around to excite responses..  BTW I spent a year in Young dong po back in the 60s...

I have been all over South Korea. Went there in 1978/79, and Back again in 1986/87. You can see a lot from the cockpit of a CH-53.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

Yeah, just an opportunity to rib Bob.

But, he's no longer with us.

Sad

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Hallmarkgard wrote:John...The "Armpit" Thing is just a term that gets thrown around to excite responses..  BTW I spent a year in Young dong po back in the 60s...

I have been all over South Korea. Went there in 1978/79, and Back again in 1986/87. You can see a lot from the cockpit of a CH-53.

Visited Seoul in the 90's for a 15 day reunion tour. Loved the shopping in Itaewon and Myeong-dong....shopping for the best deals at 2am-5am was quite an adventure.

Hallmarkgard

My roots go back a pretty good ways in Lillian. Back in the early 60s I worked for Frank Kohler. He farmed about 600 acres. I was just a young guy and he taught me a lot about working on Farm Equipment. Unfortunately he was killed in a tractor accident about 25 years ago. His daughter, Elaine, still lives on the old homestead.

If you will look at a map you will see there is no easy way to get to Highway 90 from Lillian.
There used to be a CC farm road but Hurricane Fredrick took out the bridge and it was never rebuilt. There are plans, not well known, to build a road/development from Lillian to Seminole. If and when they do, it will drastically change the entire area. I used to live in Seminole and there was reports of people being approach to sell their land.

http://www.blackwateral.com/news/Mobile.htm

Hallmarkgard

There was Martial law when I was there in 67  Every one off the streets from midnight to 6 am. Note to Mr Oats. Photo is not of the west side of Pensacola...Looks too nice....ASA 508th..West Pensacola/Lillian Questions - Page 2 2l9peza

Last edited by Hallmarkgard on 11/1/2016, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Damn Hallmark......you told me the west side could be tough, but I never knew about that Marshall Law stuff. No wonder Bob was skipping school and going to the beach.

Hallmarkgard

2seaoat wrote:Damn Hallmark......you told me the west side could be tough, but I never knew about that Marshall Law stuff.  No wonder Bob was skipping school and going to the beach.

Live and learn  Mr Oats....LOL..I edited the photo for you..

RealLindaL

JohnSilver wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:you may want to consider doing a more in-depth look at property taxes...

Real, I appreciate the response, links, and persuasive pitch, and I agree - We need to look closely at the whole package.  I will contact the Escambia tax assessor after the dust settles and run the numbers.

Sounds great, JS, and I was glad to assist a bit. Hope you'll be very happy with whatever decision you make! __LL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum