Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Law and Justice

+4
Yella
Hospital Bob
Markle
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Law and Justice Empty Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 11:40 am

Can someone with a bit more knowledge of the law tell me why a person would be sentenced to life in prison plus 120 years?

I was watching a program yesterday on TV and this guy had raped and killed 3 women. When he was tried and convicted, the judge sentenced him to life without parole plus an additional 120 years.

What purpose does the additional 120 years serve?

2Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 11:54 am

Sal

Sal

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that judges do this because more than one crime was committed, and they feel the need to demonstrate that the lesser crimes were not forgotten. My guess would be that the dude was sentenced to LWOP for the murders and 40 years each for the rapes.

3Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 1:01 pm

salinsky wrote:I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that judges do this because more than one crime was committed, and they feel the need to demonstrate that the lesser crimes were not forgotten. My guess would be that the dude was sentenced to LWOP for the murders and 40 years each for the rapes.

Thanks, that makes sense.

4Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 1:11 pm

Markle

Markle

Minimum sentencing requirements could also be a factor.

More importantly, it would seen that if one charge was over thrown on appeal or a technicality, the other sentences would still be in place. This is obviously someone whom anyone who knows about, think should never be allowed back on the streets.

5Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 1:28 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm sure glad we're not executing most murderers. Because if we took away that average $30k per year it takes to keep them in prison it would probably mean we would have to lay off some government employees.

6Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 1:32 pm

Sal

Sal

It actually costs more to execute a criminal in the United States than it does to imprison them until they die.

7Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 1:38 pm

Markle wrote:Minimum sentencing requirements could also be a factor.

More importantly, it would seen that if one charge was over thrown on appeal or a technicality, the other sentences would still be in place. This is obviously someone whom anyone who knows about, think should never be allowed back on the streets.
I believe Mr Markle is correct. Just a way to insure the SOB never gets out.

8Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 2:48 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote:It actually costs more to execute a criminal in the United States than it does to imprison them until they die.
That may be true. But it's just another sign of the idiocracy this country has become.

9Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 2:53 pm

ButtMan wrote:
salinsky wrote:It actually costs more to execute a criminal in the United States than it does to imprison them until they die.
That may be true. But it's just another sign of the idiocracy this country has become.

ButtMan, since it is idiocracy for us to execute them and idiocracy for us to incarcerate them, then what to you suggest? Are you saying that we should just let them all go?

10Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 2:59 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
ButtMan wrote:

ButtMan, since it is idiocracy for us to execute them and idiocracy for us to incarcerate them, then what to you suggest? Are you saying that we should just let them all go?
No, ButtMan is saying that it shouldn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to execute them. ButtMan will do it for free.

11Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 3:42 pm

Sal

Sal

My understanding is that it is the lengthy appeal processes that make it so expensive, and considering the exoneration of several men on death row recently, I'm not so sure those processes should be expedited.

12Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 3:57 pm

salinsky wrote:My understanding is that it is the lengthy appeal processes that make it so expensive, and considering the exoneration of several men on death row recently, I'm not so sure those processes should be expedited.

While I am a death penalty proponent, I will have to agree with you on this one. As much as I would like to see the guilty punished, I do not want to see an innocent unjustly punished.

13Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 4:01 pm

I don't wanna see anyone wrongfully executed either. But technology (DNA forensics) has changed all that from what it once was.
I think the argument you're both making is akin to the one which says all we have to do is spend more money on education and that will fix what ails it. I don't buy that it has to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to ensure that a murderer is guilty. Many of us have been conditioned to accept those kinds of arguments at face value but not me.

14Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 4:20 pm

Sal

Sal

I just don't get capital punishment. Seems to me it's just mindless revenge to sate the bloodthirst of sadists. It also let's the guilty off easy to my mind. I'd rather be dead than facing a lifetime behind bars amongst the general population of a maximum security prison. Make 'em earn their keep by busting rocks and/or picking cotton and/or stamping license plates.

15Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 4:37 pm

salinsky wrote: Make 'em earn their keep by busting rocks and/or picking cotton and/or stamping license plates.[/font]
I have no problem with substituting capital punishment for that either. Problem is our society has shown no resolve to do what you suggest and make incarceration self-supporting. There is a whole legion of attorneys out there challenging that at every turn and I see nothing on the horizon to turn any of that around.
And I know it's out of character for a liberal/progressive like me (according to Markle) to point this out, but the lion's share of those attorneys are Democrats who are supported by Democrat politics.

16Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 5:15 pm

Sal

Sal

TittyMan wrote:
salinsky wrote: Make 'em earn their keep by busting rocks and/or picking cotton and/or stamping license plates.[/font]
I have no problem with substituting capital punishment for that either. Problem is our society has shown no resolve to do what you suggest and make incarceration self-supporting. There is a whole legion of attorneys out there challenging that at every turn and I see nothing on the horizon to turn any of that around.
And I know it's out of character for a liberal/progressive like me (according to Markle) to point this out, but the lion's share of those attorneys are Democrats who are supported by Democrat politics.

Aren't you using the wrong ID here? I'm confused. scratch

17Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 5:45 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote:
TittyMan wrote:

I decided to be more like ButtMan. He's my hero.

18Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 5:46 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Er I mean TittyMan decided to be more like ButtMan. Er somethin. Hell I don't even know who's who anymore.

19Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 9:50 pm

salinsky wrote:My understanding is that it is the lengthy appeal processes that make it so expensive, and considering the exoneration of several men on death row recently, I'm not so sure those processes should be expedited.

There are more than several men on death row that have been exonerated since DNA was invented.The problem we have now is prosecutors trying to convict innocent people. In this country, prosecutors have immunity and that is a big problem.The Supreme Court upheld their immunity status although there are tons who have hidden evidence that would have exonerated people.Prosecutors need to be held accountable for taking away lives of innocent people intentionally-no exceptions,period.

20Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 11:31 pm

Yella

Yella

Why does it take a whole team of experts to insert a needle into some monsters arm and send him away? Most of us have had surgery and know that we don't even feel the shot that puts us under so why do we worry so much about a murderer feeling a tiny pin prick.. A sturdy rope can be used over and over and over again. I think its about the money that all the players get to make, lawyers, judges, court employees,they all make money from stays, appeals, etc. Crime and detention is a big part of our economy,like war and sales and manufacture of war materials, like the drug trade and all the jobs that people have in dealing with drugs and drug users.Illegal drugs are another huge part of our economy.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

21Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/19/2012, 11:38 pm

Yella

Yella

ButtMan wrote:
salinsky wrote:
TittyMan wrote:

I decided to be more like ButtMan. He's my hero.

Here is something to consider, ButtMan, try going down to the beach early in the morning to look for butts.It could be be good hunting there

Cigarette butt litter is a major problem at our beaches, in the ocean and throughout the watersheds which carry water, trash and debris to our beaches. Cigarette butts discarded in parking lots, along sidewalks and in street gutters miles from the coast inevitably make their way through storm drains, creeks and rivers to the beach and the ocean.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

22Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/20/2012, 8:08 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There is no greater joy in life, yella, than finding a good butt.

23Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/20/2012, 9:08 am

Dreamsglore wrote:
There are more than several men on death row that have been exonerated since DNA was invented.The problem we have now is prosecutors trying to convict innocent people. In this country, prosecutors have immunity and that is a big problem.The Supreme Court upheld their immunity status although there are tons who have hidden evidence that would have exonerated people.Prosecutors need to be held accountable for taking away lives of innocent people intentionally-no exceptions,period.

If they have been exonerated why are they still on death row? They should be free.

24Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/20/2012, 9:09 am

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Since DNA was invented? Really. Who invented DNA? I think DNA was around since before the first fish crawled out of the ocean and walked on land. DNA TESTING was invented millions of years later.

Dreamsglore wrote:

25Law and Justice Empty Re: Law and Justice 6/20/2012, 9:15 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's my understanding that in the past some individuals were executed and then later with the advent of DNA technology those individuals were discovered to be innocent. But can anyone point to a case which is an example of anyone being put to death AFTER we now have that technology to ensure innocence because I'm not aware of it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum