Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Newt on Morning joe........he would have won

+5
othershoe1030
Sal
Floridatexan
knothead
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Bob wrote:
2seaoat wrote: It is exactly where we were in the 80s
Today is not exactly like the 80's.
There wasn't an enourmous wave of baby boomers about to become beneficiaries in the 80's.
We hadn't yet outsourced millions of middle class wage jobs in the 80's. Jobs that once contributed the revenues to keep social security healthy.
The government wasn't $16 trillion in debt in the 80's and there wasn't as large of a portion of government revenues needed to pay interest on the debt making that money not available for other expenditures like social security.

The early part of the baby boomers are also dying off as well. Many, like my father (born in 1942) worked hard, physical jobs and their health is failing. My dad was a parachute rigger in the Navy for 31 years. I think swimming in Pensacola Bay behind NAS in the winters while training AOCs in water survival really took a toll on his body along with the thousands of PLFs he demonstrated in the near ten years he spent at NASC during two tours of duty. Even as a Master Chief he was quite hands on with the work just before he retired. He has bad knees that cause him lots of pain for which the Navy pays disability, but they totally dissed him on the hip injuries sustained which causes him even more pain now and in need of a hip replacement that the VA refuses to acknowledge as part of the issue. While working as an electrician at the North American Mission Board after losing his job with Enron (thanks Ken Lay), he had a seizure while up on a ladder doing some HVAC work. He was not allowed to drive for six months after that which caused him to lose that job because he had no way to afford cab fare to work. He eventually got SS Disability about 5 years ago, but still, he wanted to work and would do so today (he can drive now), but he's just physically unable due to the hip and knee issues. You can't do HVAC and Electrical if you are unable to bounce up and down ladders.

2seaoat wrote:Actually her gross pension is 72k a year before deductions. She is a very smart lady with advance degrees.......no more information for now, but the time will come when I am gone, I have told her to leave a little note....it will all make sense to you at that time.

Well then she had investments and that adds up for your generation even with the downturn. NO need for details as that's your business.

Personally, I am hoping that my mil retirement at about 1500 per month, teaching at another 2500 per month, SS at about 600 per month, a paltry investment portfolio that might get me 300 more per month(thanks AIG for screwing up my VALIC account and then bailing in 08-09), and whatever interest my DROP money earns me will do for me what I need it to do. My spouse has FRS too, just high risk and so with her 75% of top five year average, she'll get more than I do from the state. The mil pension may climb depending upon how my cross training goes and the time I can put in until HYT. Another stripe will put it at about 2000 with 8 more years of what should be double points with the job that I do.

Sal

Sal

This ain't rocket science.

Raise, or better yet, remove the cap.

Problem solved.

salinsky wrote:This ain't rocket science.

Raise, or better yet, remove the cap.

Problem solved.

Why? So your minions can waste even more money?

thats all great guys. im going to work till i fall over dead. im gen x

oat, your wife can be my sugar mamma after your gone. ill take good care of her.... Wink

2seaoat

Thank you for sharing your father's story. He is about 5 years older than me and I am entering the years he began having problems. It is not easy to keep a positive outlook. I never minded working because I never had much choice. My mother was a widow when I was 10, and she tried to take over my father's business but she had been a stay at home mom......big fail, but at 15 I worked and pretty much took care of myself.

When I went off to college I was supposed to get my survivor ss benefits for college but I never took the benefits because my mother and brother needed the money to make the mortgage payment. No big deal....I was a hard worker and could handle 72 hours in a week with out a blink, I saved and put myself through college, graduate school, and never felt like anybody owed me anything. I really get angry now seeing people like your father not getting the best care, but because I was on my wife's great blue cross policy none of my family has gone without the best health care. I have seen people suffer, and I simply do not understand how you cannot see that Romney does not give a rat's tail about your dad, or you for that matter. Now I am not saying that Obama is the answer....he is not, but not for a second do I believe that he does not care about your father. Do you understand that a Republican Senator delayed a cost of living adjustment for disabled vets......I understand we need to balance the budget, but damn it your father served his country and this idea that people who are fighting a tough battle in their 60 are somehow freeloaders.....is a crock. You are entitled to your opinions, but you should be proud of your father and his sacrifices....and you should vote for somebody who recognizes his service....not bs and photo ops......but policy which makes his life hopeful and full.......we can walk and chew gum, and I am a changed man.....it took me getting sick to get off my high horse......the path to wisdom is a bitch.

Sal

Sal

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Why?

Because the most entitled generation in history is coming of age, and someone has to pay for it.

So your minions can waste even more money?

If your idea of wasting money is providing enough money to our elderly and disabled so they don't have to eat ALPO and drop dead on the filthy floors of Walmart, then yes, let's "waste even more money".

2seaoat wrote:Thank you for sharing your father's story. He is about 5 years older than me and I am entering the years he began having problems. It is not easy to keep a positive outlook. I never minded working because I never had much choice. My mother was a widow when I was 10, and she tried to take over my father's business but she had been a stay at home mom......big fail, but at 15 I worked and pretty much took care of myself.

When I went off to college I was supposed to get my survivor ss benefits for college but I never took the benefits because my mother and brother needed the money to make the mortgage payment. No big deal....I was a hard worker and could handle 72 hours in a week with out a blink, I saved and put myself through college, graduate school, and never felt like anybody owed me anything. I really get angry now seeing people like your father not getting the best care, but because I was on my wife's great blue cross policy none of my family has gone without the best health care. I have seen people suffer, and I simply do not understand how you cannot see that Romney does not give a rat's tail about your dad, or you for that matter. Now I am not saying that Obama is the answer....he is not, but not for a second do I believe that he does not care about your father. Do you understand that a Republican Senator delayed a cost of living adjustment for disabled vets......I understand we need to balance the budget, but damn it your father served his country and this idea that people who are fighting a tough battle in their 60 are somehow freeloaders.....is a crock. You are entitled to your opinions, but you should be proud of your father and his sacrifices....and you should vote for somebody who recognizes his service....not bs and photo ops......but policy which makes his life hopeful and full.......we can walk and chew gum, and I am a changed man.....it took me getting sick to get off my high horse......the path to wisdom is a bitch.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

He would never vote for Obama and if you and ZVUG think I am nuts about Israel, well he is 10x what I am.

We all know that the Dems and GOP take turns blocking votes and then throw in riders on bills that make the other group look like Satan. That's what is wrong with this country.

Again, I really appreciate your response about my dad. He believes God will give him the full eighty years promised in the Bible and lives every day expecting that to happen.

salinsky wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Why?

Because the most entitled generation in history is coming of age, and someone has to pay for it.

So your minions can waste even more money?

If your idea of wasting money is providing enough money to our elderly and disabled so they don't have to eat ALPO and drop dead on the filthy floors of Walmart, then yes, let's "waste even more money".

You can always exaggerate with the best. I am sure Goebbels would have hired you on the spot about 70+ years ago to work with him.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

The early part of the baby boomers are also dying off as well. Many, like my father (born in 1942) worked hard, physical jobs and their health is failing.
I'm sorry about your dad's health PD. But how we define the baby boomer generation is they're babies born to GI's coming home after WW2. So your Dad is not part of that.
And while your dad encountered things in his life that might shorten his life, there is no doubt that the boomer generation AS A WHOLE is going to live longer than the generations which preceded it. And will be needing social security for longer.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Actually, Seoat could retire and qualify for SSDI immediately with his medical condition. RetiredLEO got SSDI because of his cancer; he talked about it on the PNJ forums.

I read a book this year that was written in 1997, called the Fourth Turning, by William Strauss and Neil Howe. I got this as an eBook after reading some long blog entries about it at an Internet site I like to read. The book is about the cyclical pattern of generations throughout human history, and how around every 80-100 years, crisis always grips humanity. They said the last crisis occurred from 1929-1945, and that we were due for another in the early 2000s. They predicted war and financial calamity during this period (this is before 9/11 and the 2008 stock market crash). They discussed how the financial calamity will likely be made worse by an insolvent U.S. government. They made some bold predictions about Baby Boomers and Social Security, and claimed that the Silent Generation, born 1924-1942 will be the last generation to get full Social Security benefits. The Boomers are only going to get part of what was promised, and those generations that follow will get nothing.

Strauss and Howe said looming financial crises (the one that's coming; 2008 was just an opening act) is going to decimate the IRAs, 401ks, and investments of Boomers, and most are going to retire less materially well-off than they thought. Federal and State pensioners will also get shafted as governments slash spending because they have to because of lowered tax receipts.

The authors say that the next generation of heros is going to be the Millenial Generation (those born after 1981)--yes, the "OWS Crowd." When they get hold of the levers of government, they are going to make the painful cuts to their parents government benefits, in order to ease the pain of the younger generations who are going to be stuck with the government debts created by their parents' generation.

One last note about the Social Security "Trust Fund." It only exists on paper and is not currently monetized. In order to use it, the government must borrow more money to fund it, so it is a joke on those who will need to rely on it (Baby Boomers).

All of this will culminate around 2025 at the latest, so however the "Crisis" plays out, we will see its results in just a few years.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Penalizing the millionaire who probably also created jobs with the business that made him/her millions is asinine.

So you favor the current millionaire who actually lived during the time in which the debt accumulated over the future generation who will ultimately pay for the millionaire's tax cuts and social security payments - which, of course, the future generation will not get?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum