Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if Progressives and republicans joined forces to toss out today's corporate owned congress?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The following is lifted from hightowerlowdown.org.

"Brand New Congress. What if progressive organizers and volunteers joined forces [with rank and file Republicans] to run a nationwide campaign to replace today's corporate-owned Congress--all at once? Yes, one sweeping campaign to oust all incumbents of either party who owe their jobs to (and do the bidding of ) the Big Moneyh powers. Those congress critters, feeling snug in their gerrymandered rabbit holes, could be outed by hundreds of coordinated, Brand New Congress campaigns running simultaneously in every state. Each local campaign would back locally recruited grassroots candidates publicly pledged to fight for an agenda of economic, social, environmental, and political justice. An honest, accountable Congress that works for all!
Impossible? Not in the fertile minds of Zach Exley, Becky Bond, and other former Sanders staffers who conceived and implemented his campaign's successful grassroots model that Exley calls "distributed organizing." Essentially, they trained and empowered tens of thousands of far-flung volunteers to be autonomous organizers, digitally linked into a nationwide network. This strategy eliminated theneed (and cost) of a rigid hierachy of "leaders" to boss volunteers, recognizing instead that volunteers themselves are leaders (in churches, clubs, workplaces, community groups, etc.), and with basic training and a few inexpensive tools, can be trusted to orchestrate area campaigns. Now they're applying this model to Brand New Congress campaigns that carry the message of authentic populism and a shared agenda of populist policy proposals.

BNC is to be a true bipartisan effort, running Dems in blue districts, Repubs in solid red ones, and independents wherever that makes sense. But wait--how can BNC get Republican candidates to run on progressive values? By recognizing that true populism is neither a left or right theory, but a top-versus-bottom reality that even middle-class and lower-class Republicans can relate to. ..."

Bernie's supporters are moving right ahead with the real revolution, despite his failure to overcome Hillary as presidential candidate. The facts are, Bernie's campaign began a movement that's continuing no matter who wins the presidency. And that's very good news for us all!

Whoops. I should have proclaimed it to be good news for all but the 1% and their corporate lackeys. Reality!

Sal

Sal

Good!

They're learning.

Knowing how the system works and how to manipulate it is critical.

gatorfan

I've been chastised on here for suggesting throwing all the bums out because "we need some experienced people in Congress". LOL

I routinely vote against any incumbent - since the idiots in Congress are so impotent now so what if a newbie gets in there and has to learn how work for the people?

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

gatorfan wrote:I've been chastised on here for suggesting throwing all the bums out because "we need some experienced people in Congress". LOL

I routinely vote against any incumbent - since the idiots in Congress are so impotent now so what if a newbie gets in there and has to learn how work for the people?

We agree!!

We need to have laws that restrict the contact between the politician and monied interests... holding the politician accountable.

The corrupt cronies would never limit themselves like that. A few hangings on the mall lawn would clean things up nicely.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

How interesting -- it seems we have right and left agreeing on this challenge already!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

As much as I admire Jim Hightower, he has gone off the deep end on this one, and so, apparently, have you, Word. WORD! I don't have anything in common with people who get their political viewpoints from their churches, or from FOX, Limbaugh, or any of the other lunatics running the GOP today. There was a group in 2010 composed of the right-wing fringe like Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin that gained a lot of followers and hijacked any idea of sanity in the GOP. I wouldn't like to revisit that...would you? Trying to coalesce Republicans and "progressives" is a fool's errand.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Floridatexan wrote:
As much as I admire Jim Hightower, he has gone off the deep end on this one, and so, apparently, have you, Word.  WORD!  I don't have anything in common with people who get their political viewpoints from their churches, or from FOX, Limbaugh, or any of the other lunatics running the GOP today.  There was a group in 2010 composed of the right-wing fringe like Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin that gained a lot of followers and hijacked any idea of sanity in the GOP.  I wouldn't like to revisit that...would you?  Trying to coalesce Republicans and "progressives" is a fool's errand.  

Perhaps you're right. But, in fact, while there is a humongous abyss between us, both Trump's uptight, racist, conservatives and we progressives do have one thing in common: we want an end to a congress owned by corporate interests. We need to coalesce on the issues that drive us in the same vein.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum