Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Good Old Days

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Good Old Days  Empty The Good Old Days 5/28/2016, 2:42 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2The Good Old Days  Empty Re: The Good Old Days 5/28/2016, 3:58 pm

2seaoat

But those folks appreciated black music.......

3The Good Old Days  Empty Re: The Good Old Days 5/29/2016, 10:29 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:But those folks appreciated black music.......

So did I...I went to the bar in Kingsville that was black-owned and mainly frequented by blacks...that was the late '60's.  There weren't separate facilities like there were in the deep South.  Many players on the football team were black and of course hung out with the other players.  And my GF asked me to tutor some of the team members in accounting...I was nervous, not having spent much time around blacks, but that didn't mean anything...I was incredibly shy back then...and my professor had embarrassed me in the classroom...it was my 8 am, and some idiot who worked at the DMV ran a stop sign and hit my car on the driver's side, breaking out the window...I was shaking.  When I calmed down, I went to class...about 40 minutes late, and the professor didn't believe me, even when I showed him the glass in my coat pockets.  What an ass!!!  So I ended up dropping that class and picking it up the following semester.  

But the point:  I hadn't experienced the kind of racial animus that pervaded other states...no one uses the "n" word in my presence without a rebuke...and it has been that way at least since the football player called me a racist, which of course was a ploy...but it did make me think.  And when I moved to Pensacola, one of the first things that happened...an agent thought it would be funny to give me the local KKK number...at least, he thought it was funny.  I did not.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum