Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A path to a new Congress?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A path to a new Congress? Empty A path to a new Congress? 5/19/2016, 10:31 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Here is a new idea, a new plan to wrench power away from the toady Congress which very few have any use for. If you disregard the reference to Bernie's program and just look at this idea/tactic, the biggest problem I see them having is finding qualified people who are willing to run. With national funding taken care of via Bernie supporters and others maybe individual candidates wouldn't feel so isolated especially in red states. Interesting.

America needs an honest, accountable Congress to enact Bernie's program. But trying to win each Congressional seat one-by-one is impossible. So let's run one campaign to replace Congress all at once (except those already on board) that whips up the same enthusiasm, volunteerism and money as Bernie's presidential campaign.

We're building on the tools, tactics and networks that we developed together on Bernie's campaign. But to pull this off, the volunteer movement will have to wield more power and resources than on any campaign before. This means volunteers on the ground will run their own offices and voter contact operations, and will have access to all necessary tools and materials from the start. Get ready for the most beautiful campaign ever.

https://brandnewcongress.org

2A path to a new Congress? Empty Re: A path to a new Congress? 5/19/2016, 10:55 pm

2seaoat

My current congressman is a Republican and he votes for the 1% and has done virtually nothing for the Middle Class. The only way to beat him is to run a candidate in the Republican Primary as the district is about 65% Republican. I do not think winning the house is going to be easy until both parties have hotly contested primaries with a range of issues which give voters choice. Once a congressman becomes an incumbent.....it is hard to extract even the most incompetent of folks.

3A path to a new Congress? Empty Re: A path to a new Congress? 5/20/2016, 12:43 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I hope Amazon.com makes this forthcoming booklet (to be released on May 24th) into a Kindle book:

The Confessions of Congressman X
http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Congressman-X/dp/1634139739?tag=thwe0f5-20

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

4A path to a new Congress? Empty Re: A path to a new Congress? 5/21/2016, 12:02 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:My current congressman is a Republican and he votes for the 1% and has done virtually nothing for the Middle Class.  The only way to beat him is to run a candidate in the Republican Primary as the district is about 65% Republican.   I do not think winning the house is going to be easy until both parties have hotly contested primaries with a range of issues which give voters choice.   Once a congressman becomes an incumbent.....it is hard to extract even the most incompetent of folks.

I guess I'm not keeping up on which congressional district you live in but in the first district of Florida, Jeff Miller's district, he is of course not running for re-election so for that district it is a perfect time to run someone else. The district is about two to one Republican so a Democrat doesn't really stand a chance. Even if Jesus ran as a Democrat with all the "hard shell" Baptists in the district, He couldn't get elected, I'm just saying'.

The description of how your representative votes fits a lot of R's these days including Miller. No one says it will be easy but the idea was that if the notion of a "national movement" to change Congress were to catch on it could really have an affect.

5A path to a new Congress? Empty Re: A path to a new Congress? 5/21/2016, 12:45 pm

2seaoat

Tammy Duckworth is going to kick the incumbent senator Mark Kirk's asz in Illinois. Kirk has tried to distance himself from Republican crazy, but the truth is he has attacked Duckworth on her veteran issues......the lady lost two legs from a rocket attack in combat and has been an ardent supporter of veterans....the senate is structurally going to the Democrats. I just cannot see that large of a gain in the house unless a Republican conservative runs a third party campaign which keeps people home because of the foregone conclusion that Hillary will win. That is a remote possibility. The house remains republican.

6A path to a new Congress? Empty Re: A path to a new Congress? 5/21/2016, 1:45 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:Tammy Duckworth is going to kick the incumbent senator Mark Kirk's asz in Illinois.  Kirk has tried to distance himself from Republican crazy, but the truth is he has attacked Duckworth on her veteran issues......the lady lost two legs from a rocket attack in combat and has been an ardent supporter of veterans....the senate is structurally going to the Democrats.   I just cannot see that large of a gain in the house unless a Republican conservative runs a third party campaign which keeps people home because of the foregone conclusion that Hillary will win.   That is a remote possibility.   The house remains republican.

I see this new approach as a way to get things moving. It is a long shot but could work over time. I think the idea might keep people focused on the need to vote in off year elections, which is one big problem the Dems have. People show up ever four years but overlook the importance of the off year possibilities.

To be able to think of off year (and presidential years) as a National Movement rather than a conglomeration of 300 plus individual and disconnected seats in Congress would go a long way to booting out the dead weight that just wants to keep progressives from doing anything, even when it is something they originally wanted to do but now oppose because it is presented by the other side of the isle.

7A path to a new Congress? Empty Re: A path to a new Congress? 5/22/2016, 9:48 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Tammy Duckworth

Wasn't familiar with her until this. After reading the following, I REALLY like her...

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/tammy-duckworth-what-i-learned-at-war-119243

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum