Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pensacola Plague

+2
2seaoat
dumpcare
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pensacola Plague Empty Pensacola Plague 5/7/2016, 9:26 pm

dumpcare

Zika mosquito

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/2016/05/07/pensacola-plague-caused-zika-mosquito/83698242/

2Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/7/2016, 10:18 pm

2seaoat

I am building a screened in porch for the park model now......the zika virus is going to be huge in the panhandle and people are going to need to take precautions with young people....a child bitten by a mosquito when child bearing age will still have the virus......huge downside to this thing, and if the dumb F's in county government cannot improve drainage, this area could become uninhabitable like the panics in the last century and before.

3Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 7:53 am

What happened to the other public "scares" such as West Nile? What about those Africanized Bees?

4Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 11:34 am

2seaoat

West nile is still dangerous and harming people as we speak. I had a customer who was a 27 year old cpa who had a great position with a corporation when she was bit by a mosquito and contracted west nile. She was paralyzed from the waist down and now is in a wheelchair, and had a special van made which allows her to still drive to work. My wife and I are sticklers since we knew this girl about applying insect repellent, but Navarre and Milton are covered with skeeters who bite.....I am spending a bunch of money on a screened in porch for the park model because the biters are so bad at night you cannot be outside.....well the beauty of this place is outside, so I have built a 6 foot by 24 foot screened in porch. I screened the floor deck boards before screwing them down, and have a screen door and a four foot expose with screening which allows us to enjoy the beauty without the bites.

5Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 12:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Big bottle Blue cheap mouthwash, 
3 cups of Epsom salt, 
3 stale 12 oz
cheap beer....
mix those three ingredients together until salt is
dissolved... 
Spray anywhere you sit outside , around pools , will not
harm plants or flowers... 
Mosquitoes gone from that area for apprx. 80
days.. 

6Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 2:47 pm

2seaoat

I will get some spray bottles and try the same, but I am adjacent to some of the most beautiful wetlands in both counties and I am not going in to gator and snake territory to spray so it appears the screens will have to suffice but where I have cut the grass, I will spray.

7Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 3:27 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:Big bottle Blue cheap mouthwash, 
3 cups of Epsom salt, 
3 stale 12 oz
cheap beer....
dissolved... 
days.. 

Thanks.

8Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 7:31 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:Big bottle Blue cheap mouthwash, 
3 cups of Epsom salt, 
3 stale 12 oz
cheap beer....
dissolved... 
days.. 

Have you actually experienced this working for 80 days?

9Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 7:40 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

No, but I am going to try it.

I have always used the Black Flag propane fogger.

10Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/8/2016, 8:09 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The best mosquito and no-see-um repellent on the planet is Avon Skin-so-Soft. The company I worked for did much of the environmental investigation work at NAS Pensacola in the 1990s, and we kept a bottle of that stuff in our field trailer.

I was our field manager at the base, and we went everywhere; often deep into wetlands, where mosquitos, no-see-ums, and big water moccasins frolicked. Skin-so-Soft did the trick for us, but we found out it does not repel water moccasins.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

11Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/11/2016, 8:39 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Has anyone tried the method Joani posted?  I was hoping someone else would experiment with it before I bother to go buy the stuff to make it.

I have a horrendous problem with mosquitoes.  I've found this to be a solution.  A spraying of it lasts two days so I have to spray it around my courtyard patio every two days.  That's even though the package says it works for "8 weeks".  lol

But I would prefer to use something that's less toxic and that's why I'm asking the question.

Pensacola Plague K2-_ac6b7bdb-69f5-475d-9359-d79c2cac4d0d.v1

12Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/11/2016, 9:52 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I'm going to try the concoction I posted.....fighting a cold now and another health issue.

13Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/11/2016, 11:33 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:The best mosquito and no-see-um repellent on the planet is Avon Skin-so-Soft. The company I worked for did much of the environmental investigation work at NAS Pensacola in the 1990s, and we kept a bottle of that stuff in our field trailer.

I was our field manager at the base, and we went everywhere; often deep into wetlands, where mosquitos, no-see-ums, and big water moccasins frolicked. Skin-so-Soft did the trick for us, but we found out it does not repel water moccasins.

I used it for years, but Avon has a line of mosquito repellents now that are meant to replace it...so I don't think the old SSS is the same. (Google Avon insect repellent.)

Dr. Mercola recommends oil of lemon eucalyptus:

http://articles.mercola.com/herbal-oils/lemon-eucalyptus-oil.aspx

Also, a friend of a friend recently recommended the following for topical use:

10 oz. distilled water
1 oz. alcohol
6 drops each: lavender, rosemary, citronella, lemongrass essential oils

14Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/11/2016, 11:52 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's an interesting coincidence ya'll are talking about the Avon SSS and the lemon/eucalyptus solution.

I have a free trial of Amazon Prime (free 2 day shipping) which runs out in a few days. I was putting together an order yesterday and ran across these two products and added them to the order.

The active ingredient in Avon SSS is Picaridin so this product would do the same thing...

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP544-Repellent-Picaridin/dp/B0015KG5NK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

And here's a product version of the lemon/eucalyptus solution...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N59OFU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered both repellents to see how they compare.

15Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/12/2016, 11:05 am

dumpcare

http://www.metaspoon.com/mosquitos-trap-bottle-trick/?fb=1004M1n1d5565tB&utm_source=1004M1n1d5565tB

trapping mosquito's

16Pensacola Plague Empty Re: Pensacola Plague 5/12/2016, 3:06 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ppaca wrote:http://www.metaspoon.com/mosquitos-trap-bottle-trick/?fb=1004M1n1d5565tB&utm_source=1004M1n1d5565tB

trapping mosquito's

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum