Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What has Bernie Sanders' campaign done for the liberal cause?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

At first it seemed as if his candidacy was just hopeless; he was so far down in the polls and had very little national name recognition. However as the news of his positions spread he picked up supporters and donations and while not likely to win the nomination is now is a position to continue to exert pressure on the Democrats' platform.

More importantly, to me, he has taken away the excuse many progressive politicians had. The excuse was to be afraid of standing up for liberal ideas and positions for fear of loosing vital donations to their campaign funds. The reasoning was that if they stood up for liberal ideas they wouldn't get funding and wouldn't get reelected.

Bernie's funding has blown this excuse out of the water. There is such a thing a funding by the people. Now can we fight the pharmaceutical companies and legalize medicinal marijuana? Can we fight the oil companies and climate change deniers? Can we work on a single payer health care system?

There are no more excuses.

2seaoat

It is doubtful that Hillary will move left when she is elected. The history of the Clintons indicate they work best as moderate Republicans.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I'm hoping that Bernie will not let his followers disperse as Obama did after he was elected. I think the evidence supports his view of how the economy and the government has come to be set up over the last few decades, benefiting the upper crust much more than the middle class.

A desire to move away from the oligarchy will spur continued pressure on the established political structure. Wealth distribution, profit going to the very few and the shrinking middle class should remain a problem worth solving.

And the big incentive to pursue this direction is the knowledge that voters will support the effort to change with donations to the cause. One thing Bernie didn't lack was money from what I hear so, like I said, there should be no excuse to not go after liberal improvements. In fact, given his great success in raising money it might even be an incentive to become overtly progressive.

Let's hope. I agree Hillary is no progressive.

Sal

Sal

Unless Bernie can broaden the appeal of his message, there is no movement.

Unfortunately, Bernie's campaign and Trump's campaign are both fueled by the same impulse - white angst.

Bernie's messages of economic insecurity and income inequality ring hollow to minorities because they've always been insecure and unequal.

He failed spectacularly in communicating to those communities.

Blaming poor people for not voting and discounting the Southern vote does his legacy no favors.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Salinsky wrote:Unless Bernie can broaden the appeal of his message, there is no movement.

Unfortunately, Bernie's campaign and Trump's campaign are both fueled by the same impulse - white angst.

Bernie's messages of economic insecurity and income inequality ring hollow to minorities because they've always been insecure and unequal.

He failed spectacularly in communicating to those communities.

Blaming poor people for not voting and discounting the Southern vote does his legacy no favors.

Seriously, Sal, I don't know where you're getting the idea that Sanders and Trump are appealing to the same group. It would be a cold day in hell before I cast a vote for Trump, but I've been following Sanders for years. He's right about the need for revolutionary change...and I don't see Hillary Clinton as an agent for those changes, although I would vote for her to keep the GOP crazies out of the WH.

Sal

Sal

They're not the same people but they share some of the same characteristics, and there is some crossover appeal.

They are white people who are justifiably angry about falling behind economically, while the wealth gap continues to grow.

Bernie's approach is inarguably more cogent and informed, but they both are focused on tearing down the establishment, and neither has broad appeal to minorities.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Salinsky wrote:They're not the same people but they share some of the same characteristics, and there is some crossover appeal.

They are white people who are justifiably angry about falling behind economically, while the wealth gap continues to grow.

Bernie's approach is inarguably more cogent and informed, but they both are focused on tearing down the establishment, and neither has broad appeal to minorities.

I know it seems unlikely but it is true that both Sanders and Trump appeal to antiestablishment voters even though each offers different reasons for wanting to have a political revolution and they each offer different ways of transforming the government. I'm not sure what Trump's "vision" of his solution looks like, he may not know either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum